Domestic Dogs As An Invasive Species & Their Impacts On Wildlife In India

NamStay

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Source: https://zslpublications.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/acv.12389

Cats in New in New Zealand, Dogs in India..

Abstract
Domestic dogs are increasingly being recognized as a conservation threat for native species. In many places, their impacts may be as severe as other invasive predators such as cats and rats. We conducted the first ever sub‐continent scale assessment of the impacts of dogs on native species in India using an online key informant survey and reports from national print media. Dogs reportedly attacked 80 species, of which 31 were IUCN Red list threatened species, including four Critically Endangered species. Larger bodied mammals such as ungulates and carnivores, were most commonly reported to be attacked, although this may be an observation bias. Approximately 68% of the attacks were carried out by dogs unaccompanied by humans. Most of the attacks were carried out by packs of dogs with 45% of these attacks leading to the death of the prey. Nearly 48% of the incidents were reported in and around wildlife protected areas, suggesting that dogs are an important large‐scale edge effect around protected areas in India. For Critically Endangered species that are already suffering from serious population declines due to other causes, the impact of dogs may seriously impede population recovery efforts. Mitigating the impacts of dogs on wildlife requires a multi‐pronged approach of responsible dog ownership, restriction in free‐ranging behaviour, and strong population control measures, especially around sensitive conservation areas.

acv.12442.fp.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Domestic breeds hybridising with dingoes has become a big issue throughout Australia.

See this is why my policy towards alien species is "Annihilate them with extreme prejudice." Especially with a place as ravaged by unregulated hunting and habitat loss as India, these mutts are in the way of restoring and rewilding the greater ecosystem of my ancestral homeland.

Australia has a major problem too with domestic dogs escaping and breeding with dingoes. These wild dogs are like a mobile mincing machine going through our native and non- native animals.
Then we get comments from certain groups saying to combat these problems every dog must be captured and de/sexed.
This is the intelligence we deal with.
As one farmer at a political meeting said “ they’re not f..... them, they’re eating them” (referring to sheep being killed here).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arecruitment880

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!