Does velocity matter?

Jwg223

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
What have you all seen in game? Say, if you take a .308 with a 165gr projectile vs a .300 Weatherby with the same 165gr projectile? Will the several hundred fps on target product a more reliable or quicker incapacitation? I know what physics books claim...but what do you all see in the field, especially those of you who have shot a statistically significant number of critters.

Well I can compare a .308W 165 Woodleighs with a .300 Weatherby 165 Barnes TSX and a 7x57 154 Hornady Interlocks and 7mmRM 160 Woodleighs.
My observations duplicate the theory. Slow heavy projjies more dependably penetrate deeper but don't expand as quickly.

I think the major difference is (of course) time of flight. If your firearm goes 'bang' instant 'whomp' it just seems more effective the 'bang' wait, wait, wait, 'whomp'.

I think matching the impact velocity and projectile to the game is more important than out right speed of delivery.

I've shot several north american critters with a .300 Weatherby and a 30-06, so I believe I can offer an opinion.

It all depends on your bullet construction.

A lightly built bullet (such as a Nosler Ballistic Tip) will not penetrate as well when fired from the higher velocity gun at close range. I've personally experienced this with my .300 wby, where the bullets basically fragmented on impact, causing a large amount of superficial soft tissue damage but were somewhat lacking in penetration. The same bullet impacting at a lower velocity will be less likely to break apart and may actually penetrate better and be more effective.

However, you switch to a better constructed bullet, such as a Nosler Partition (A-Frame, Barnes, etc.), and everything changes. The heavily constructed bullet is designed to stay together and penetrate, even under the higher velocities. Using Nosler Partitions, I can honestly say that I do see a noticeable difference in the way game responds to a well-placed hit, vs my .30-06 at the same range. I believe that more energy gets transferred to the target. In my opinion, this is never a bad thing, provided you have adequate penetration.

So from my experience, yes velocity can make a difference in the impact on game, provided you're using a bullet that's up to the task. But at the end of the day, shot placement and penetration still reign supreme. The extra velocity of the .300 does not afford you any additional margin of error for shot placement. If you don't place your shot over the vital organs, and if the projectile doesn't actually penetrate to the vital organs, then it doesn't matter what gun you were using.

For the sake of this discussion, let's presume bullet construction suited to the velocity, so as not to mire the waters with driving bullets out of their performance enveloples as so succinctly stated above. A great bullet to focus on for this is the gmx and tsx and ttsx, which typically expand to the same diameter regardless of velocity, so long as it's neither absurdly high or low.

For the sake of this discussion, let's presume bullet construction suited to the velocity, so as not to mire the waters with driving bullets out of their performance enveloples as so succinctly stated above. A great bullet to focus on for this is the gmx and tsx and ttsx, which typically expand to the same diameter regardless of velocity, so long as it's neither absurdly high or low.

I've personally never used Barnes bullets, but if you make the assumption that bullet construction is up to the task and shot placement is also the same, then yes the higher velocity round is more effective on game. The slower round will still harvest the animal, but the higher velocity round will dispatch it faster (no pun intended). At least that has been my experience.

Myself and my son have taken about a dozen animals now with a 257 bee. From steenbuck to kudu with a 100 grain ttsx. Must animals have dead right were they stood. Zebra made it 25 yds before falling over kudu,red hartebeest,black wildebeest all died right in there tracks.

The 100 grainers are coming out at 3400fps and just hit so hard. Speed has it place for hunting but not for all areas I would say.

Do you notice a more immediate reaction,or just faster death?

Well, to me immediate reaction and faster death is the same thing, or do you mean something else? My experience has been that animals certainly expire quicker. I'm not a medical doctor and could be wrong, but my logic goes as follows. Higher velocity causes a bigger temporary wound channel. The temporary wound channel placed in the correct area certainly affects the critical organs of the animals.
Greater velocity with certain projectiles causes greater bruising aswell. With a less than desirable shot, its this body trauma that could mean the difference between finding your animal, and it getting away.

True: BUT better a slow hit than a fast miss!!
False: Speed doesn't kill, a disruption of blood flow to the brain kills.

Last time I checked, 200gr from a .375H&H at 3200fps disrupted the blood flow to the brain on plenty of Cape Buffalo.

I think people don't realize what the shock of a bullet at those fast speeds does. From what I have seen they just go down like a hammer hit them on the head. I think in total of 12 animals I have seen them go a total of 75 yds. The zebra went 25yds and believe it or not the one that went the most was a steenbuck. Mainly because I was trying not to blow it up and shot it to far back and low. He went 50 yds before I found him.

I think people don't realize what the shock of a bullet at those fast speeds does. From what I have seen they just go down like a hammer hit them on the head. I think in total of 12 animals I have seen them go a total of 75 yds. The zebra went 25yds and believe it or not the one that went the most was a steenbuck. Mainly because I was trying not to blow it up and shot it to far back and low. He went 50 yds before I found him.

High speed bullets can liquefy internal organs on my animals and I've seen it. But a relatively slow large bullet can tear apart and animal as it penetrates. ( think a 325 gr 45-70 moving at only 1800 feet per)

Does velocity matter?

There is a reason that for however many years ballistics engineering has NOT been looking for slower projectiles. Keeping in mind that performance is a series of compromises between numerous variables. Not the least of which is the animal we're shooting and his reaction to being wounded.

Velocity does cause more damage inside, but not always the best. Shot placement is what truly counts.

Yup shot placement in the end is what really matters.

I know all my animals have been dead be it with the 257 or my 300. It is good to let guys know though that you don't need big guns to hunt Africa though. A good bullet in the right spot and you have done your job and will get your animal.

The faster your projectile hits the more energy (Joule) you impart which is a direct transfer to the wound channel. Velocity and bullet weight/shape are the factors that determine the amount of energy. As stated above simply put "speed kills".

I will add one small observation. The same bullet at a higher speed shoots flatter. Less drop. Doesn't matter when your in the brush. Across a canyon at 400 yds it might make the difference. The less you have to worry about drops when excited about an animal and trying to get off a good shot,the better. Bruce

The faster your projectile hits the more energy (Joule) you impart which is a direct transfer to the wound channel. Velocity and bullet weight/shape are the factors that determine the amount of energy. As stated above simply put "speed kills".
Speaking of energy, what if one uses a 150gr TTSX instead of a 180gr TTSX, both of which, for the sake of this argument, will through/through the game animal. Energy will be very similar, but not velocity. Would you expect the 150 to produce more dramatic results, or not really?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross