Does female wild game meat tastes better than male?

Yes.
Especially in the rut season, bull meat is full of hormones and bad smell. After rut, bulls are exhausted, skinny, etc.

Yep - females and immature males best for the pot.

All things equal, I would say yes. I'd go even further and say that older cows/ewes and immature bulls/rams are what you should be targeting if you want meat quality.

Obviously there are other important factors such as a quick kill, bleeding out the animal, proper slaughtering etc. But all things equal, I find the above to be true.

As a general rule this is true with most any animal. This is the reason sheep and cattle ranchers castrate rams and bulls. You are taking out the hormones and making them easier to fatten. Sometimes there is not too much difference though and diet comes in as a big factor as well.
The only exception I have seen as a rancher and hunting operator is the Axis deer. It always amazes me how good a trophy Axis buck is to eat! I have a hunt to do next weekend with an out of state hunter and hoping he doesn’t take all the meat with him.
Regards,
Philip

In the food industry Steer Meat is always preferred to Cow

Reactions: BWH
Haven't we all been looking to bag a younger female...;)

But seriously, I agree with the above about the taste of wild game.
Younger immature males and females always taste better.
Why do you think they charge so much for veal?

Can't speak for any other animal but my Amish butcher says whitetail doe is better eating. The bucks go to the food bank. They are completely made in to burger.

I realize you may may not classify hogs as game animals, but a boar will always taste a lot stronger than a sow. Unless you like the incredibly strong taste, it will highly recommended to spice em up a bit, or make them into salami's, or chorizos.

Even in our big city super markets, the well known Australian Stores are now selling pork as 'Sow free pork", which I do not know why, it is such a radical stupid idea.

I no longer buy pork from thee stores, as boar meat smells like sweaty underwear from a Men's Footy Club shower room, it turns off all new comers to pork.

Does anyone know what's with the Sow free rubbish ?

Regards
Rob

Better, yes. Significantly better, I have to say no.

Getting meat chilled quickly is the most critical factor. If you shoot a trophy quality animal at last light and recover it the next day bc it is technically cool enough, that is a recipe for some iffy meat. Same goes if you just want to give it an hour instead of 15 minutes and its 70 degrees out.

I get all game into the ice chest asap and forgo hanging unless it's the temperature is very cold. Even then, I'm likely to fill the chest cavity with ice and wedge a bag of ice between the rear legs.

I've driven by small game processing shops and have seen a stack of deer piled 10 feet high. I wouldn't want to eat that when they finally get around to it...

Most gamey meat can be traced back to improper handling imo. Some of that can't be avoided, but some can.

If you hunt with a bow, does it change the taste?

No, but there are positives such as no bloodshot meat and flecks of bullet.

A con would be iffy shots lead to a longer recovery time. If logistics, time and temperature allow, lots of people leave deer overnight and follow up the next morning on a poor archery shot near last light. Imo, there is no reason to do that with a rifle because the trama is so much worse - put all your gear in the car, go to town, grab a sandwich, and head back out with a good flashlight. My opinion anyway.

I knew a guy who claimed that it did. His reasoning was less adreneline and other hormones caused by bullet trauma and more blood drained from the system. Honestly I'd say that depends more on the shot placement with either weapon. Personally I've killed animals with both and can't tell the difference.

WAIT A SECOND! Are you trying to tell me that women don’t have hormones???. What the heck effects my wife and two daughters then?

WAIT A SECOND! Are you trying to tell me that women don’t have hormones???. What the heck effects my wife and two daughters then?
No, but they do have different ones.

So many variables....time of year, conditions, age of animal, the way processed, etc.... typically, I’d say no. But, an old boar compared to a young sow. Then yes...... but otherwise, I say no.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cazhino90

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg