Does each gun have to be in its own gun case or can I use just put both guns in one gun case?

Bobpuckett

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters
Hunted
USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada
:confused: Ok I'm back at the drawing board. I have a hunt booked with Huntershill Safaris again next year and its going to be a little different as I will not be going to Germany afterwards so the Wife and I will be carrying our own Guns instead of borrowing theirs. One of the many questions that keeps poping up in my head is, does each gun have to be in its own gun case or can I use one of my two gun gun cases? any help or pointers are welcome.

I carried both mine in one case (.375 and a .308). Boyt hardsided case with 3 layers of foam ... cut out the shape of the rifles from the middle sheet. This particular case is relatively heavy, and most of my rifles are heavy, so I was pushing 46 lbs.

THANKS Shakey
Thats good to know as I don't need any more luggage then is Necessary. The wife is taking her Marlin 30-06 and I decide to carry my Browning Euro-Bolt in a 270 rather then my single shot 243.

One hard case that will accommodate both rifles is the way to go to reduce your baggage...

The foam out line of your rifle will keep them from sliding around....easy access...remember some airlines require a lock where there is a hasp...

my hard case like that will accept a metal rod that cover each hasp and one lock to hold the rod in place..

Went to RSA in May. We put 3 rifles for 3 of us in one Pelican gun case. The rifles were each in a soft case inside the Pelican. Worked out great. Pushed about 48lbs so we were close to the limit. Get a good gun travel case and it can last a lifetime. Bruce

Any different permits

If two of us are putting our guns in a double case, is there anything special we need to do? Any special permits or issues clearing the rifles in RSA?

Thanks

If two of us are putting our guns in a double case, is there anything special we need to do? Any special permits or issues clearing the rifles in RSA?

Thanks
None I always take 2 rifles, you may want to clear as 1 owner for both, but is not necessary.

Bob just go to Customs and get a 4457 with both rifles on it in your name. Put both in one gun case (been there, done that) When you get to Joburg they will want to see your 4457 with the s/ns on it and the SA police papers filled out with only your name on the rifles. Its as easy as that. You won't have any problems. Make sure you weigh the gun case before you go to the airport. Don't lose your papers as you'll need them when you leave for home or if you are checked at a road block somewhere. If you want more ifno let me know.

Bob just go to Customs and get a 4457 with both rifles on it in your name. Put both in one gun case (been there, done that) When you get to Joburg they will want to see your 4457 with the s/ns on it and the SA police papers filled out with only your name on the rifles. Its as easy as that. You won't have any problems. Make sure you weigh the gun case before you go to the airport. Don't lose your papers as you'll need them when you leave for home or if you are checked at a road block somewhere. If you want more ifno let me know.

Thanks Cliffy, that is what we did last year this is an old thread for those of you that read my hunting report the only problem we had was with Air2000 and I emailed them about that and ann said there would be a credit back for the problems, That never happened either. been back again this year and just borrowed a gun from my PH no problems and no extra cost other then ammo $50 vs $190 for taking my guns.

My Boo Boo for not checking the first post date OOOPS! It's been a long day and I guess I'm tired.
See ya in Dallas!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeWedel71

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois