Does cartridge headstamp and barrel engraving have to match?

sandman0921

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI (Life), RMEF (Life), DU, NWTF, NRA (Patron Life), GOA, DSC (Life), WSF (Life), B&C Club (Sponsor Associate Member), USSA (Associate Member)
Hunted
USA (GA, TN, AR, TX, FL, UT, NM, WY, MT, AK, IL, MO, IA); Canada (NWT, BC); Africa (Tanzania)
As I have posted before, I recently took delivery of an AHR CZ550 Magnum in the cartridge 404 Jeffery. I am a hand-loader, and my intention is to develop a load using Norma brass, and North Fork SS Bonded and CPS 400 grain bullets.

During my reloading process over the weekend, I noticed that the Norma brass is headstamped with the designation 404 Rimless N.E. which is also how the 404 Jeffery is known. I'm not sure, when the cartridge was developed many years ago, what the original designation was (probably 404 Rimless NE considering what it was designed to mimic)....Doesn't really matter.

The potential problem is my rifle's barrel engraving reads 404 Jeffery.....

My question is, with all the current craziness and "nit-picking" taking place in transiting from the US to Africa, will this cause an issue when trying to 1) go through customs in the African country of destination, and 2) trying to board an aircraft in Africa on the way back home.

I have yet to hunt Africa, but am set to remedy that next year with a trip to Tanzania to hunt Cape buffalo, leopard, and plains game. My intention is to take my 404 Jeffery with me for my buff rifle....

I am curious to hear opinions from the PHs, hunters, those in the know and who have hunted Africa if they foresee a problem?

Thanks in advance.

Google 404 Jeffrey, open the Wikipedia and read it, and print it, pretty much explains the confusion.. If a problem in SA, just show them the explanation, should be no problem.....or..you could take your rifle to a jeweler and have him engrave on the barrel 404 Rimless NE on the opposite side of the 404 Jeffrey. Never had SAPS look at anything but the serial number to match with the paperwork. Always used a rifle permit service for pre approval.

It probably is not a problem as long as you use a rifle permit service.

Send Henry at http://riflepermits.com/ an email asking your question. He will give you the answer. I took the suggestion from many other AH members and used his services on my hunt last August. I strongly suggest you do the same.

Research "head stamp" in the search section and you will see plenty of replies on the subject.

There are countries that demand correct headstamps. Odds are they will cause problems when they are correctly stamped but differ slightly because they are either ignorant or they want a bribe.

The solution beyond having correct headstamp which you do have is to always be vague on your permits. Caliber: .404, 375, 300 etc. then they can't hang you that your brass says 375 H&H but the barrel says 375 Holland!

Research "head stamp" in the search section and you will see plenty of replies on the subject.

Brickburn,

Thanks for the reply, and in all honesty, I did do that before I posted. Most of the threads on AH however were for calibers where there was an obvious discrepancy such as 338-06 that is utilizing converted brass that was head-stamped 30-06 Spg., or 8mm Rem Mag brass converted from head-stamped 375 H&H brass, etc.. Even though I don't agree with it, and realize it is due to ignorance of the intricacies of wildcat cartridges, or worse yet, a way for those countries to be contrarian, I guess I can see where those would definitely cause the issue. My question is that if the caliber designation is the same (i.e., 404), would the customs guys in Dar es Salam really be that picky. It sounds as if the answer is.....they could and/or anything is possible.....

The solution beyond having correct head-stamp which you do have is to always be vague on your permits. Caliber: .404, 375, 300 etc. then they can't hang you that your brass says 375 H&H but the barrel says 375 Holland!

I guess this technically would be correct even though the caliber really is 0.423, but I get what you're saying......

There were a lot of threads on SAPS and flying into Johannesburg, but I couldn't really find much on flights into Dar es Salam, Tanzania.

I will definitely utilize a firearms permit service for the trip, but if it was going to be a definite problem, I needed to figure that into the equation, and potentially address it on the rifle's end....

Brickburn,
...... It sounds as if the answer is.....they could and/or anything is possible............

Ultimately, that will always be the answer in judgement call situations. Those little details are mostly lost on the majority of customs officers. Tanzania sees plenty of hunters and welcomes them.

Some instances of common sense prevailing:
1. It is technically illegal for me to transit the USA with a firearm without a State Department permit. It is not a law that is enforced. However, it could be. We take our chances based on the hope that some type of common sense will prevail.

2. I had an entire rifle "overlooked" in Namibia by the police on entry. Apparently it was early in the morning for all of us.
I only caught it when I was exiting the country. I had no entry permit for my second rifle!
Luckily the police officer at the exit port just signed off on it with common sense prevailing.

3.When being bullied once by a baggage handler wanting my written permission to open my gun case, that is, cut the locks, so they could inspect inside, I refused. (All the while I was surrounded by six local police officers in the pre-boarding area because I was being suspected of smuggling a firearm obviously)
I told them to bring it up to me and I would gladly open it for inspection as I had the keys in my pocket.
I enjoyed the eyes bulging in several faces.

Since I had just done an inspection for the US customs officer a few moments before they took possession, the sergeant in command in attendance in the pre-boarding area said that it was fine to go.
The airline had forgotten my paper work declaring that is was unloaded. I signed another copy and they gave it tot he baggage handler.

Without common sense these could have been a disasters.

As Rookhawk said, the possibility of someone wanting a bribe is always present in some locations. Stick to your guns, (sort of intended)
Let them know you are willing to load it up and demonstrate that the ammunition fits in your firearm. Just a joke, but sometimes a sense of humour will work wonders.

If you get hassled by an airport security guy, just suggest dropping the questionable round into the chamber of the rifle and then in your best "Dirty Harry" imitation ask him, "Do you feel lucky Punk?"

Or maybe just get some brass marked the same as the rifle and spare yourself the potential hassle.

In Africa, you never know.

Hope you don't have any issues!

I will definitely utilize a firearms permit service for the trip,

in tanzania the safari company sorts your visitors permit in advance and their rep will meet you at the airport. if you are worried just ask the safari company about it......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaBlohm

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!