Does anyone make their own floor pedestals

• Thread starter Deleted member 40394
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 40394

I have some barnwood and will make an attempt to make my own floor pedestal. I thought about building a frame for it from regular timber and then covering with the barnwood.
Anyone here make their own pedestals?

A few years ago, I ran out of wall space, so I started to make floor pedestals so that I can also cover my floor space with mounts. :rolleyes:

All of my pedestals are either 6 or 8 sided. I start by making a frame made from 2x4s that are glued and air nailed together, then I glue and clamp the face wood over the frame.

My first pedestal was this pretty simple one faced with oak for my Musk ox.
E61CCJvm.jpg

I put doors on the front of my Leopard pedestal so that I can put stuff inside. o_O The face wood is Alder that I chose to stain dark. The casters can be pulled out at the final placement.
fgMnAy5m.jpg
2HDtgk2m.jpg

jegFf7Tm.jpg

Another "cabinet" pedestal that I built was for this double Caribou mount faced with Oak.
NCTuTJ1m.jpg

I used pieces of the back skins of my Zebra and Sables to fill in the panels on their pedestals. And this Sable pedestal was a little tippy, so I extended the base 3" on all sides.
rrwxk61m.jpg
A7FgVWJm.jpg

I faced most of my pedestals with Cherry wood.
UFlUH73m.jpg
Irn6wJ3m.jpg
BUJL1YZm.jpg
tb6ooIEm.jpg

My current project is building a 12" high Oak pedestal for my Alaskan brown bear that I shot last year. I am looking forward to having that mount back before summer. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are cool!

I plan to make my first one soon for a whitetail or mule deer.

I have some barnwood and will make an attempt to make my own floor pedestal. I thought about building a frame for it from regular timber and then covering with the barnwood.
Anyone here make their own pedestals?

I've had several made by a mate exactly as you describe, a pine frame with rustic timber over the top. I like them. I'm currently mounting a roaring red stag on another.

20181223_124004.jpg
20181224_163005.jpg

Really like the kudu base color. That’s what mine should resemble.
I've built several for my larger mounts, buf, sable, eland. I like knotty alder and build them about 24 inches wide (octagon or square) and 26 inches high. I build in a false bottom about 6 inches high so I can fill it with sand for a counterbalance for buf or eland. I trim the tops and bases with live edge strips and stain to desired hue. On my big square one I fitted doors on the front for extra storage, more of a cabinet than a pedestal. One of these days I want to build a round one. I've got square, hex and octagon, straight sided and taper sided, with and without doors. I'll probably never hunt enough to use all of them but they are fun to build.

Old fence post, simple box for the base, easy build. For the floor base I used 2 pieces
1/2” plywood glued and screwed make a solid floor pad.
F22A2E10-7B02-415D-972E-E5EA1D27AE8C.jpeg

Old fence post, simple box for the base, easy build. For the floor base I used 2 pieces
1/2” plywood glued and screwed make a solid floor pad.View attachment 452128
Nice. To build these things you are limited only by your imagination. Any old hunk of scrap lumber, tree stumps, limbs can be fashioned into an eye catching piece.

I used barn wood to make my eland pedestal
Anyone here make their own pedestals

I've built several for my larger mounts, buf, sable, eland. I like knotty alder and build them about 24 inches wide (octagon or square) and 26 inches high. I build in a false bottom about 6 inches high so I can fill it with sand for a counterbalance for buf or eland. I trim the tops and bases with live edge strips and stain to desired hue. On my big square one I fitted doors on the front for extra storage, more of a cabinet than a pedestal. One of these days I want to build a round one. I've got square, hex and octagon, straight sided and taper sided, with and without doors. I'll probably never hunt enough to use all of them but they are fun to build.
Would you be able to draw up some simple plans for your octagon pedestals, and post some pics?
Thanks

The octagon pedestasls are fairly easy to do. You have to have an accurate table saw to cut a 22.5 degree edges and decide if you want solid faces or open to use skins in. The glue up requires a bit more planning and doesn't hurt to have couple extra hands.

The octagon pedestasls are fairly easy to do. You have to have an accurate table saw to cut a 22.5 degree edges and decide if you want solid faces or open to use skins in. The glue up requires a bit more planning and doesn't hurt to have couple extra hands.
I build a double top and bottom. One is finish dimension and the other is smaller by the thickness of the wood I use for the sides. Set two slats on the bottom, one on each side and tack them to the smaller bottom and top. The others will fall right into place.

Would you be able to draw up some simple plans for your octagon pedestals, and post some pics?
Thanks
Pm me and I will email some. I don't know how to post online.

Just built an octagon pedestal 31 in high by 23 wide.
I used mahogany 1 x 4s, 1 x 3s, 1/2 in birch plywood for panels and 3/4 plywood for base and top.
I cut 16 x 1/4s that were 9.5 in long. Next I cut a 22.5 angle on each end, then used 1 in air nails and glue to make the octagon base and top with these. Make sure length is exact!
I then cut 16 x 1x3 at 29 in long.
These I cut at 22.5 angle lengthwise on one side, then put two together with glue and nailer.
When I had 8 of these completed I used them to connect the base with the top.
Before connecting base, I traced out the 3/4 in plywood on the base octagon, cut it to fit inside, then glued and nailed it in.
After all the stand risers were set, I cut 4.5 in filler pieces to fill the gaps between each riser on bottom and top.
At this point I cut 8 panels of the 1/2 in plywood at 6 x 29in and secured these to the back side of the risers.
I left a 1.5 in space between the top of each riser and top of octagon for the top plywood piece to rest on.
Lastly I filled some wholes, sanded and stained.
IMG_3628.JPG
IMG_3630.JPG
IMG_3588.JPG
IMG_3618.JPG
IMG_3621.JPG
IMG_3634.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BennettTim

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross