Does anyone have recent pricing on dip and pack from RSA

Angryminer07

Reaction score
Has anyone priced or paid for a dip and pack from South Africa in the last 6mths-1year?

Im interested in seeing what current pricing is for a plains game hunt I’ll be going on in June with a family member. We’ll be planning to take at most about 8-10 animals a piece (total 16-20).

Also, any comments on using coppersmith vs procargo for shipping to Houston?

Every taxidermy will be different. The best thing you can do will be to ask your outfitter to have the taxidermy send you their current dip and pack price list. For estimating (over estimating) costs before they send this, I’d use $150 per animal skull/horns/cape.

I had a dip and pack cost of $1,175 for my animal parts in May 2021, through Animal Wildlife Artistry in South Africa. This covered 9 Euro skulls and a Nyala cape and Springbuck hide.
Shipping from South Africa went through Trophy Shippers, this cost was $1,360, which included freight shipping to my chosen taxidermist in West Texas, in early October 2021.

Taxidermist in Northwest I have used last 2 trips charges $180 for skull, horns, cape and back skin on plains game. $100 crate and permit fee. This June 2021 safari has yet to ship. Trying get that lined out, Trophy Shippers is handling that part.

I currently have 21 animals, capes, full skins, horns and skulls with Hunters and Collectors (H&C) in Port Elizabeth, SA for D&P, except croc he is tanning for rug. Kevin and Nicole replied very fast to all my questions and were 60 % less than my quote from outfitter. Yes 60% less. I visited, "inspected" shop after hunt and was very pleased with what I saw. Also fact that he deals in Canadian funds for Canadians saves the exchange BS. He is also using plastic totes that I sourced for shipping to Canada. Their PE outlet is next door to H&C and cheaper than forbidden for Canada wooden crates. They meet the newly followed code, I am hoping to clear shipment myself and have NO Canadian CFIA facility inspection. H&C concurs, he is also cutting skulls for me to mount, I don't need jaws and all that extra weight/bulk, plus easier to clean without brain cavity restricted and less boiling/cleaning time.

I recommend doing some research on your D&P, costs vary greatly. I am one to think that outfitters get kickbacks from recommendations so not sure that is the way to go. I am a spreadsheet guy so ask a few companies, get their quotes and compare, apples to apples.

I have had tanning done in Africa before, showed up like rubber, had to redo all again in Canada. This is my first with H&C. Will see how all goes.

MB

Mark, do you do your own taxidermy? Or are you going to get someone in Canada to do it for you? I'm asking because I found the cost of taxidermy in Canada SO much more expensive than in South Africa, that I couldn't justify it. (Not so much when comparing RSA to USA)
I'm also curious as to if you have been quoted a price per Kg for shipping?
Thank you.

I hunted RSA in April 2021 and had trophies shipped to US following D&P. Cost was $130 per larger plains game (Sable, Kudu, Waterbuck, Gemsbok) and $110 per animal for smaller antelope (Impala, Bushbuck). These prices were for skull, horns, cape and back skins on each. Also had two impala flat skins prepped for $55 each. Total bill for 10 animals including packing, crating and documentation came to $1360. Shipping was quite a bit using Express Trophy Services at $2300 but they all expedited rather quickly and arrived in the US at my taxidermists in great condition. Very well packed according to Taxidermist. I used Coppersmith in Seattle for doing the logistics in the US and then shipment on to Helena MT.

I've got a price list from Splitting Image for dip and pack. It was their 2021 pricing. Basically it's about $130-200 per animal. Most are $130-150 and that's for cape, horns and skull. The bigger animals are more, eland, zebra, water buck, are all $200 and then cape buff is $325.

Documentation and crating was $350 for 6 animals and was the same cost for my bro in law with 9 animals. I can't attest to their quality of the dip and pack yet since our stuff didn't get shipped before their stupidly long Christmas break.

Mark, do you do your own taxidermy? Or are you going to get someone in Canada to do it for you? I'm asking because I found the cost of taxidermy in Canada SO much more expensive than in South Africa, that I couldn't justify it. (Not so much when comparing RSA to USA)
I'm also curious as to if you have been quoted a price per Kg for shipping?
Thank you.
Yes do all my own taxidermy, close friends and work for my buddy who has a business when he gets overwhelmed with work.. Seams that's always now? He taught me taxidermy, so I owe him. I have had taxidermy done in Africa at recommended places, NEVER again. The cost of forms and materials has probably gone up 100% in the last year so yes final costs will reflect that. My labor is "free" so my final costs are only materials.

I have not got shipping quotes yet. H&C uses Rex freight, but when I have dimensions and weight I will send out to many companies for quotes, then pick. Getting stuff to West Coast Canada and Vancouver will increase shipping I am sure. Kevin cutting skulls thru eye sockets will greatly reduce weight and bulk from my PG animals.

MB

Has anyone priced or paid for a dip and pack from South Africa in the last 6mths-1year?

Im interested in seeing what current pricing is for a plains game hunt I’ll be going on in June with a family member. We’ll be planning to take at most about 8-10 animals a piece (total 16-20).

Also, any comments on using coppersmith vs procargo for shipping to Houston?
Hi there, thanks for your enquiry.
Please send us your email address and we can send you our 2022 pricelists, alternatively you are more than welcome to reach out to us via email info@splittingimagetaxidermy.co.za

Kind Regards,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LauriMolon

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!