steve white

AH legend
Reaction score
Articles
Member of
dallas safari club, mannlicher collectors assoc., era
Hunted
Cape buffalo, plains game
Nothing is more beautiful than the shimmering iridescence of a trophy fish (and sometimes its dying colors). Nothing is more disappointing than an unnatural "paint by the numbers" PAINTED over fish mount. When will someone set a higher bar--with an airbrush, or SOMETHING?

I had a fantastic fish taxidermist who won numerous awards. His philosophy was that he only did fish and birds, the only big game animal that he ever did was his elk. Sadly he is no longer in business.

So if you want a great mount look for the same type of taxidermist.

There are some people up here that do a nice job, they seem to make a whole fake fish out of God Only knows what, but they look good.

IMG_2689.JPG

I'd be interested in knowing what set you off sir. ;) :unsure:

Those look wonderful TT, very good work. I hear Steve, bad painting is terrible. Our tiger fish makes a great subject with it's bright orange fins and blue shimmer in the body scales. Few get it right, but when they do you could hang it in an art gallery.

Thank you for the kind words Kevin. I'd love a crack at a tiger fish someday.

Nothing is more beautiful than the shimmering iridescence of a trophy fish (and sometimes its dying colors). Nothing is more disappointing than an unnatural "paint by the numbers" PAINTED over fish mount. When will someone set a higher bar--with an airbrush, or SOMETHING?
You aren't looking very hard if you can't find a good fish paint job. What species of fish are you referring to in particular? There's a guy out by Lake Fork that does wonderful bass and has for 20+ yrs

Fantastic work @Tundra Tiger, I love this mount, Dolly Varden ?

I wonder if you can repair my Tiger Fish from the Deka River lol

I remember he was beautiful when I caught him & around 12lbs
View attachment 531913
You should be able to get a replica of your tiger, a good taxidermist only need good accurate measurements. They can even use the real jaws.

@Tundra Tiger Those are excellently done.

My wife caught a 10-12 lb tiger fish and a red eye tilapia when we were in Zimbabwe. Tried to use a local taxidermist. Ha. The photos they sent me of the finished product were cartoonish with the coloring. Her tiger did not have the bright orange fins, but a subtle pinkish / red to them. I couldn't tell you what form they used for the tilapia.

I found I guy in Connecticut that did them for us. Even then, the photo he sent did not have the pink spots on the tilapia tail. I had to point it out to him in the photo I had provided. However, once fixed, I was happy and Ann thrilled when she opened the box at Christmas.

Ann Tigerfish.jpg
Ann Tigerfish Mount.jpg
Ann Redeye Tilapia Mount.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This one went out the door yesterday. My daughter does very good work. As I recall, that laker was about 28". It's a replica. I usually do the woodwork but she ordered this "biscuit" from eastern Ontario fella with a shop in his garage. I think it's poplar. Came raw. I finished it with pecan stain to give the blonde wood character.
20230412_180157.jpg

And this was, I believe, a skin mount. 18" brook trout.
20210802_112733.jpg

She finished this chinook salmon a few weeks ago.
20220517_145206.jpg
20220513_154138.jpg

This rainbow is the second fish she ever did.
16832083889478451395713755864652.jpg

Good work is not cheap. The guy paid $700 Canadian for the lake trout. But it will be a showpiece forever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!