Does anybody shoot a Blaser D99 drilling? Your thoughts?

Longwalker

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, Saskatoon Gun Dog Club
Hunted
Canada, USA, Germany, South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe
I might be talking myself into spending some money foolishly, by upgrading from a perfectly serviceable Krieghoff Trumpf Dural Drilling 16x16/7x57R to a Blaser 20x20/7x57R (or perhaps .308). I like what I see when reviewing Blaser technology, accuracy, quality of manufacture, and such. I want steel shot capability, and prefer 20 ga. for availability of ammunition over the 16. I've only held a Blaser drilling once in a store and that was years ago. What can you tell me about yours? good or bad?

Is your Trumpf not accurate enough?

It shoots OK actually, but the scope, in claw mounts is getting old and seems a bit dim compared to my other scopes. Replacing the scope will cost a lot if new mounts need to be fitted. The entire gun is showing its age. And it can't shoot steel shot, which limits where I can use it now, and will certainly be a bigger limitation in the not too distant future. Otherwise no complaints, it is accurate and functional and fits me. I just "want" an upgrade.

Any comments about how these guns perform?

Dang, sorry I missed this for a year!
I have several "traditional" drillings and a D99 Duo, so maybe I can be of some help here.
I consider the D99 to be a superior design evolution, because it solves a couple of problems.

The way the rifle barrel is floated on the D99 greatly reduces the uneven transfer of heat into the barrels which causes a POI shift in the traditional drilling design on longer shot strings. Not a problem for a hunting gun really but quite annoying at the range if you like to try new loads for best group for example.

All of my drillings seem to be uncommonly accurate. I guess this is due to the stiffness in the traditional design. The D99 has a pencil thin barrel that is attached to the others at the muzzle. I'm not sure what kind of voodoo Blaser puts in it but accuracy is outstanding. The D99 shoots so well it has encouraged me to get another barrel set for it. I've been waiting 15 months as of right now so I hope it comes eventually! My one gripe with Blaser is they use marginal twist rates in almost everything. The 6.5x55 barrel is only 1 in 8.66" and won't stabilize really long bullets like the 143 ELD-X, but 140 grain spire points work fine.

Love the saddle mount for the scope on the D99. Just so much easier than the hassle of replacing a claw mounted scope. Simple to have a second mount with a thermal scope for night hunting as well. Just makes the gun much more versatile.

I was somewhat worried about the rear sight leaf not folding down for shotgunning like a normal drilling. I took it to my sporting clays course and shot with it and it worked fine though, I didn't notice it really.

It is too bad Blaser didn't include screw-in chokes for the shotgun, but this can probably be added.

The "Duo" isn't offered anymore, but the second rifle barrel works great and is easily regulated. My combination is 6.5x55, 22 hornet, 20ga. I have a 9.3x74r/20ga combo on order.

Just killed the biggest deer of my life with the D99 last month. I have the plainest version and use it quite a lot, it's probably my favorite gun. The metal finish is corrosion resistant. While I try and take care of it I'm not afraid to drag it through the woods or hunt in the rain.

Here is some inspiration.
Targets were all shot at 200 yards (that's where I do my load development). As you can see the 22 hornet barrel shoots a 10-shot 1-MOA group at 200 yards. The 6.5x55 also shoots under 1 MOA at 200 yards for a 5 shot group. Occasionally I can do better on a calm day and while I've definitely shot several 1/2 MOA groups at 200, I can't do it every time so I don't feel that is representative.. Bottom pictures are some memorable hunts with the D99. Only had it for a few years but it's quickly become my go-to.

20230112_112251a-jpg.577631

20230112_112236a.jpg

20231112_171340a.jpg

20210423_155801.jpg
20211018_194534.jpg
20230404_113944a.jpg
20220125_143636a.jpg

Attachments

• 20230112_112251a.jpg
    20230112_112251a.jpg
    386.9 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Had a hard look at one but prefer the BBF BBS O/U system....Blaser make top notch equipment

Thanks for the encouragement Rimshot! I had already decided to go ahead and order one, but then ran into the post-covid supply problems so many industries have had to deal with. The new reality: No direct importer any more for Canada, the USA importer was not very encouraging to my dealer's inquiries, no stock on hand in the wholesale system in either Germany or the USA. When I inquired about a special order, the soonest I could get one built was a year and a half, and that was not a guaranteed delivery date. AND they wanted to be paid up front, with the total price due with order. And the price had nearly doubled from a couple years ago. I gave up on the idea of ordering one.
I still want one though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AshleyOyi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg