Contributor
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Website
www.africanindaba.co.za
Media
Articles
Member of
CIC, Rowland Ward, B&C, DSC, German Hunting Association, KZN Hunting Association, Wild Sheep Foundation
Hunted
Western US, Western Canada, Alaska, Colombia, Tajikistan, Russian Federation, China, Iran, Austria, Germany, Spain, Czech Republic, UK, Indonesia, South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Congo, Tanzania, Uganda, Botswana, Namibia
A 35-minute documentary video Custodians of Wilderness: Ethiopia by The Conservation Imperative and produced by Zig Macintosh of the Osprey Filming Company.

The documentary features Jason Roussos of Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris and Dr. Paul Evangelista from the Natural Resource Ecology Laboratory (NREL). Forest managers Genene Haille and Kemal Oumar as well as hunting safari operator Sisay Shewamene of Shield and Spear International Safaris give further insights into one of the little-known African conservation success stories.

Vol15_1_art15.jpg

The video focuses on the relationship between the safari hunting of the endemic mountain nyala and the conservation of the Ethiopian Afro-montane forests and traces the history of that relationship. In more southern African wildlife areas wildlife mainly exists on marginal lands. In contrast the Ethiopian highlands – to which mountain nyala is endemic – boast of high quality and highly desirable arable land. The video highlights the problems caused by agriculture caused deforestation and land degradation and offers a glimpse at the solutions like participatory forest management and community empowerment at remote conservations frontlines.

Kemal Oumar and Sisay Shewamene vividly describe the community-owned Adaba-Dodola concession bordering the western part of Bale Mountains National Park. Basis for the conservation activities in Adaba-Dodola is a combination of hunting and photo tourism. Whilst around 1 100 photo tourists generate about $4 500 for the community, the three mountain nyala hunters generate $22 500 for the local people every year.

The film also reports on the NREL spatial modeling of remote and rugged mountain nyala habitat and sheds new light on Afro-montane forest cover and forest regeneration in hunting areas through engagement of a dedicated group of volunteers and local communities.

Another example of Zig Macintosh’s expertise to explain complex issues. Well worth watching!

Both are co-founders of the Murulle Foundation

Review by Gerhard R Damm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross