Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
DSC Life Member, International Member PHASA
Hunted
Several of the lower 48, Alaska, South Africa, Ireland, Argentina, Peru
Here's the deal...

I've recently completed all of the coursework associated with a Doctorate in Business Administration that I have been pursuing for a couple of years, and have entered the dissertation phase of the degree program.

For those unaware, the difference in a PhD and a DBA is pretty simple.. A PhD culminates with research that contributes to knowledge or theory in a certain field/area.. Where a DBA takes theory and applies it to actual business practice for the purpose of trying to solve (or answer) known problems.

FWIW, I am pursuing the DBA solely for the purpose of learning. I am some sort of weird masochist that enjoys the learning process and beating myself to death with research and study, just for the sake of doing so lol.. I have zero interest in pursuing a career in academia, and putting DBA in my signature block will do nothing to advance my career (for those that don't know me personally, I currently serve in a senior executive capacity at a mid market sized defense firm.. there is literally no room left for advancement, and I have no interest in changing firms at this point to pursue the same seat within a larger organization.. I am very happy where I am at)...

Typically a DBA candidate will use his dissertation to research a problem specific to his own business/company or firm where he has very close ties..

Based on the above (no further advancement opportunities in my industry.. and my job already calls for me to problem solve at the highest level for my business).. I'm choosing to conduct research and attempt to problem solve for something I am personally interested in instead... the hunting industry in Southern Africa..

I'm looking for three different types of people to conduct potential surveys and interviews with over the course of the next 6-12 months... no more than a couple of hours of time would be required from any one person... these are:

hunting outfitters/business owners (in Southern Africa) that have been in business a minimum of 5 years...

Experienced Southern Africa hunters (US Citizens only.. this is not a knock on any other nationality.. but an attempt to provide some specific focus on one particular type of potential client) that have hunted Southern Africa 3 or more times and intend on hunting Southern Africa again at some point in the future...

Inexperienced Southern Africa hunters (again, US Citizens only) that have not hunted Southern Africa previously, but intend on doing so at some point in the future..

It will likely be a year or more before the study would be complete, published, etc.. but, results and findings would be provided to anyone/everyone that participates (maybe some interesting information for business owners? as well as for hunters?).. and anonymity would be absolutely assured to all involved (as well as all ethics guidelines established by the university for the conduct of research and the handling of information, etc.. being followed)..

If this sounds like something that might be of interest to you.. shoot me a PM, and I can provide more information about the specifics of the study topic, the timeline expected, etc...

I'd love to pick the brains of the membership here and try to produce some research that could benefit the "business" side of the industry if possible....

Thanks!

Happy to help if of any value. I’d fall into your second category.

I hate to talk you out of the DBA, but any chance you could change to a PhD with losing hours. I am very familiar with the difference, and the DBA is looked down on at the University level and the general public has no clue what an DBA is. Now you can put ABD.

If you need someone in addition to WAB, I fail into that 2nd category too. I’d be happy to help.

I hate to talk you out of the DBA, but any chance you could change to a PhD with losing hours. I am very familiar with the difference, and the DBA is looked down on at the University level and the general public has no clue what an DBA is. Now you can put ABD.

Completely agree with the University perspective on the PhD vs DBA.. and that the public at large has no understanding of what a DBA is.. For me the decision was tied to preferring to do research related to solving an actual problem vs generating theory.. combined with not really caring about University perspective (no desire to ever enter into Academia as a career), and not really caring about public perspective (also not looking to advance my career or change careers)...

Im just a glutton for educational punishment lol... I swore when I finished a bachelors program almost 30 years ago that I was done forever... Fast forward to today.. with 2 masters degrees, 4 masters level certificate programs, countless "trade" school type classes, and 1/2 of a DBA finished (not to mention the 18 months of a PT JD program attended before realizing I really didn't want to be an attorney any more than I wanted to be a "professor"... and it appears I have some sort of perverted addiction to study that I cant break lol..

6ye3r0
1666810567100.png

Thanks @WAB and @PHOENIX PHIL .. Once I get a couple of things together I'll reach out via PM and send over some more information..

Here's the deal...

I've recently completed all of the coursework associated with a Doctorate in Business Administration that I have been pursuing for a couple of years, and have entered the dissertation phase of the degree program.

For those unaware, the difference in a PhD and a DBA is pretty simple.. A PhD culminates with research that contributes to knowledge or theory in a certain field/area.. Where a DBA takes theory and applies it to actual business practice for the purpose of trying to solve (or answer) known problems.

FWIW, I am pursuing the DBA solely for the purpose of learning. I am some sort of weird masochist that enjoys the learning process and beating myself to death with research and study, just for the sake of doing so lol.. I have zero interest in pursuing a career in academia, and putting DBA in my signature block will do nothing to advance my career (for those that don't know me personally, I currently serve in a senior executive capacity at a mid market sized defense firm.. there is literally no room left for advancement, and I have no interest in changing firms at this point to pursue the same seat within a larger organization.. I am very happy where I am at)...

Typically a DBA candidate will use his dissertation to research a problem specific to his own business/company or firm where he has very close ties..

Based on the above (no further advancement opportunities in my industry.. and my job already calls for me to problem solve at the highest level for my business).. I'm choosing to conduct research and attempt to problem solve for something I am personally interested in instead... the hunting industry in Southern Africa..

I'm looking for three different types of people to conduct potential surveys and interviews with over the course of the next 6-12 months... no more than a couple of hours of time would be required from any one person... these are:

hunting outfitters/business owners (in Southern Africa) that have been in business a minimum of 5 years...

Experienced Southern Africa hunters (US Citizens only.. this is not a knock on any other nationality.. but an attempt to provide some specific focus on one particular type of potential client) that have hunted Southern Africa 3 or more times and intend on hunting Southern Africa again at some point in the future...

Inexperienced Southern Africa hunters (again, US Citizens only) that have not hunted Southern Africa previously, but intend on doing so at some point in the future..

It will likely be a year or more before the study would be complete, published, etc.. but, results and findings would be provided to anyone/everyone that participates (maybe some interesting information for business owners? as well as for hunters?).. and anonymity would be absolutely assured to all involved (as well as all ethics guidelines established by the university for the conduct of research and the handling of information, etc.. being followed)..

If this sounds like something that might be of interest to you.. shoot me a PM, and I can provide more information about the specifics of the study topic, the timeline expected, etc...

I'd love to pick the brains of the membership here and try to produce some research that could benefit the "business" side of the industry if possible....

Thanks!
What specific problem or problems do you Intend to research and solve?

Thanks @WAB and @PHOENIX PHIL .. Once I get a couple of things together I'll reach out via PM and send over some more information..

Well I hope, and I think I can speak for @WAB too, that this does not involve some sort of Brokeback activities!

I have already been 1 time, but if you need a novice with my credentials, I can assist.

My wife just completed her EdD (in May), so I can understand the hell of getting people for a dissertation. Let me know if you need any dissertation advice. I’m sure she’d be happy to give pointers.

What specific problem or problems do you Intend to research and solve?

Im looking at the theory of Corporate Social Responsibility (specifically Triple Bottom Line theory) and its impacts (or lacktherof) on the hunting industry (specifically Southern Africa).

The intent would be to build a framework that could be used by industry to maximize results (if any are found, or are worthy of even pursuing) and improve business performance as a result.

I have already been 1 time, but if you need a novice with my credentials, I can assist.

My wife just completed her EdD (in May), so I can understand the hell of getting people for a dissertation. Let me know if you need any dissertation advice. I’m sure she’d be happy to give pointers.
I'll take any/all help I can get! Will definitely be in touch!

PM sent

Would be happy to assist a fellow DSC life member

I fall into your second category and would be willing to help.
Bruce

Dave,

I am happy to help you out. Providing you don't put me in any compromising photos with Phil or WAB. I would fit in category two as well.

Here's the deal...

Thanks!

@mdwest congratulations on your pursuit of a terminal degree! Lifelong learning is a wonderful thing. I think your topic of interest is especially interesting and may very well "change the world".

The hunting industry in the SADC is really not a business, its a charity in my opinion. The perils of capital encountered and the potential upside rewards are all rather broken. Usually, an NGO or a humanities academic will create some paper on the topic that is utter nonsense with no empathy for the people, their incentives, or the future sustainability of the the "Best and highest use" of the resources. The world needs business-sound evidence that the incentives are wrong and the enterprise, resource, and local economy all suffer from mismanagement.

Thanks for taking on this topic to create the needed research. Never have I seen so many imperil so much to make so little all under the altruism of preserving a global treasure. Document the evidence my friend!

I'm not sure where I would fall in your list of desired people to interview, but I've hunted southern Africa twice, been an off and on member SCI for 20 years, spent 4 years in graduate school (University of Georgia) and ended up with an Master of Science in Fish & Wildlife Biology.

I am an fly-fishing outfitter with over 25 years of experience, know a good bit about "the business" (be it hunting or fishing), have been involved with putting together at least 4 excursions outside the USA and I currently work for a state game management agency.

If you think that I could add to your work, please let me know.

Dave,

I am happy to help you out. Providing you don't put me in any compromising photos with Phil or WAB. I would fit in category two as well.

Ah c’mon man, where’s the love?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois