Do you wear your expensive watch to South Africa?

It is important to engrave your name on the back of your watch to help identify your remains should you fluff the first shot.

Should you be eaten and digested, and the watch later recovered, it will prove helpful in determining your fate and also provide something for your grieving family to bury.

You get it. Thank you. It’s not about impressing anyone. It’s about craftsmanship, quality and timelessness.

I’m trying to gather information on exactly how safe it is in RSA to wear a Rolex. I don’t care if my Rolex gets scratched. It’s made to stand up to that. I wanted to have the memories of a safari with that watch. But given what everyone has said, I will take a cheaper watch. No sense in putting myself in danger. I have a nice watch collection with plenty of watches that I enjoy that are cheaper and less flashy than Rolex.
Statistically as a foreign traveller the chances of you being robbed in SA Is quite low , what the exact percentage risk is I dont know , not even our police will know that . The chances are good that you can visit SA with your Rolex and other expensive jewelry and nothing will happen but the reality is that both South Africans and foreign visitors are targeted by criminals from time to time based on the watches and jewelry they wear , especially Rolex's , it is your decision if you want to take the chance , and to be honest the odds are in your favour . ( Suppose it is like hunting Dangerous Game , overwhelmingly in the majority of hunts the hunter shoots and kills his prey without incident but sometimes the animal hurts or kills the hunter - maybe the same as taking a chance with our criminals )
Google "Rolex Robberies South Africa " and you will find some information and some videos regarding this issue in SA .
My intention is not to scare anyone or to stop anyone from wearing their nice watches to SA but purely to inform based on the question posed .

The other thread on this topic included coordinated attacks by attractive ladies on those brave enough to wear a Rolex outside the comfort of their own home. The danger associated with Swiss timepieces knows no bounds.
I hear ya. Honestly, it's exhausting.

If you're not beating off the crims, you're warding off the women. Who'd wear a nice watch, eh?

Must confess I'm a cheapy Timex or Citizen guy for hunting use though. For no other reason than I don't think I could effectively hunt whilst persued by a coterie of skimpily clad gold diggers.

I hear ya. Honestly, it's exhausting.

If you're not beating off the crims, you're warding off the women. Who'd wear a nice watch, eh?

Must confess I'm a cheapy Timex or Citizen guy for hunting use though. For no other reason than I don't think I could effectively hunt whilst persued by a coterie of skimpily clad gold diggers.

I too am easily distracted by that same crowd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpstracking

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg