Do you wear your expensive watch to South Africa?

Dont really understand the need....why would you want to wear an "expensive" watch to South Africa?

Impress who in the bush? 99% wont have a clue what you are wearing and not care anyway....except the ever present criminal element....so you decide......
Sigh. It has nothing to do with impressing anyone. My old Submariner or new Sinn are unlikely to attract a second look unlike the gizmo loaded electronic pseudo dive and pilot watches pouring out of China. What it does have something to do with, is appreciating the perfection of a mechanical timepiece, built by artisans with the same craftmanship of a fine rifle. That pleases me in the same way I am pleased by my .275 Rigby, Van Gruff knife, or Courteney boots. I could get by just about as easily in Africa with a Ruger All American, Old Timer knife, and Red Head hunting boots. But I wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much.

The other thread on this topic included coordinated attacks by attractive ladies on those brave enough to wear a Rolex outside the comfort of their own home. The danger associated with Swiss timepieces knows no bounds.
Glad someone is literate. ;)

Last edited:
Sigh. It has nothing to do with impressing anyone. My old Submariner or new Sinn are unlikely to attract a second look unlike the gizmo loaded electronic pseudo dive and pilot watches pouring out of China. What it does have something to do with, is appreciating the perfection of a mechanical timepiece, built by artisans with the same craftmanship of a fine rifle. That pleases me in the same way I am pleased by my .275 Rigby, Van Gruff knife, or Courteney boots. I could get by just about as easily in Africa with a Ruger All American, Old Timer knife, and Red Head hunting boots. But I wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much.
Clearly I am not a watch pro.....

The other thread on this topic included coordinated attacks by attractive ladies on those brave enough to wear a Rolex outside the comfort of their own home. The danger associated with Swiss timepieces knows no bounds.

Wait, you’re saying that if I wear an expensive watch attractive ladies will attack me???

Wait, you’re saying that if I wear an expensive watch attractive ladies will attack me???

I thought it was my dashing looks and personality, but that poster seemed to imply it was the watch?

Reactions: WAB
Optical illusion......you will just be ooening yourself up as a target for criminals of which we do not have a shirtage over here...

If that was true I would be wearing 4 on each arm....sadly it is not so I dont wear one.....

Reactions: WAB
Speaking of watches, I have a soft spot for Tag Heuer. In the worst case scenario, will have it as retirement gift to myself! (by that time I hope to collect all the guns I will ever want!)

Reactions: CJW
Can't wear an expensive watch as I don't have one.

The biggest danger I faced from my Rolex Air King that was originally my father-in-law's was not being on time. The watch has been rebuilt more than once and it still loses about a minute a day. I keep it for its familial connection to the past but wearing a quartz watch most days.

I must admit, I hardly ever wear my Breitling at all. I have a Ti Citizen that is much more comfortable and lower maintenance. In Africa it felt right to not wear a watch at all.

You get it. Thank you. It’s not about impressing anyone. It’s about craftsmanship, quality and timelessness.

I’m trying to gather information on exactly how safe it is in RSA to wear a Rolex. I don’t care if my Rolex gets scratched. It’s made to stand up to that. I wanted to have the memories of a safari with that watch. But given what everyone has said, I will take a cheaper watch. No sense in putting myself in danger. I have a nice watch collection with plenty of watches that I enjoy that are cheaper and less flashy than Rolex.

You get it. Thank you. It’s not about impressing anyone. It’s about craftsmanship, quality and timelessness.

I’m trying to gather information on exactly how safe it is in RSA to wear a Rolex. I don’t care if my Rolex gets scratched. It’s made to stand up to that. I wanted to have the memories of a safari with that watch. But given what everyone has said, I will take a cheaper watch. No sense in putting myself in danger. I have a nice watch collection with plenty of watches that I enjoy that are cheaper and less flashy than Rolex.
My submariner has been to Africa with me each time I have gone there, and a lot of other places as well over a bunch of years.

It is always your call.

Been to SA a few times and i did have cash in my pockets, cool Richard miller wrist watch and never had anyone run up to me. I have friends in SA and they have never told me about such unfortunate issues too. I guess it depends what area you live go frequent in SA, Just like everywhere else.
A Richard Mille is quite a watch! Cool May be an understatement.

Dont really understand the need....why would you want to wear an "expensive" watch to South Africa?

Impress who in the bush? 99% wont have a clue what you are wearing and not care anyway....except the ever present criminal element....so you decide......

Seeing that I have no interest in shooting livestock I would not be wearing an "expensive" watch in South Africa. ;)

Other African countries I will wear my watches. Not to impress people as 99% of people even here in the States can't tell a Breitling from a G-Shock anyway. I wear watches because I enjoy them and the workmanship.

I have a Rolex Sea Dweller that I have worn through most of the world for about 20 years or so though it is retired now and sits in the safe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross