Do you wear your expensive watch to South Africa?

I don’t think it is worth the chance. Have a Walmart Timex for hunting and any trips I take. Use a Bulova when diving or snorkeling. Today’s world your life is worth pennies

I'm in the Luminox crowd as well. Id be pissed if one my good watches got nicked or broken.
I don't care for many bling items, never saw the point to the extra cost; but I do make a exception for Rolex.
Pat

Those of you who are also watch guys, do you wear your expensive pieces to South Africa?
No sir my Rolex stays home and in the safe.

I don't own an expensive watch and don't wear a watch on a daily basis. When traveling, I take a simple, cheap, water resistant analog Casio with no alarms, no chimes and no worries- only hands :)

Rolex stays home for all trips.

Those of you who are also watch guys, do you wear your expensive pieces to South Africa?
My Rolex Submariner is my daily watch since 1986. Taking it on and off for airport security scans and the like is a pain. I try and travel as a "low value" target. I either wear a Marathon wrist watch (lightweight nylon case & cloth strap) or carry an old Russian mechanical pocket watch for all travel - US and overseas. No rings, chains - nothing. I carry that to my other gear, too. Old clothes coupled with no shaving for a week before departure and no haircut for a while and I blend in (even with my 6'4" 280# frame). I also use a phone and tablet specifically bought for travel - never used with personal info and a spoof @gmail address to boot. Stolen? I walk away. No police reports and I'm not delayed. Overseas travel with a gun? Nothing over a grand in value and nothing I could not replace in a week. Travel shotgun is 12 ga Parker Trojan. Classy but replaceable. Travel rifle is Interarms Mark X .458 Win. I can go anywhere on the planet with those guns and they look old and not worth taking. Stolen? No tears and no gnashing of teeth. I would get a copy of police report and move on. Bottom line: Stressless.

I have never been to South Africa yet so I can’t really answer your question specifically. However I do wear my Rolex Submariner everywhere, including to my hunting grounds here in the US.

My first trip to South Africa is planned for next month and am planning to wear the watch there as well.

In South Africa we have criminals which are referred to as "Rolex gangs" who specifically target people that wear fancy watches and jewelry .Although not a consistent threat they have operated fairly regularly over the years mostly targeting people in the more affluent areas . Very often they will operate in shopping centers where they can easily observe lots of people and identify potential victims due to their expensive watches and jewelry . These criminals will not ask you nicely for your valuables , they are violent criminals and will take what they want at gun point . These gangs seem to come and go , I suspect as they get caught the attacks on people with fancy watches subsides but sooner or later the gangs seem to operate again . Some of our criminals use the airports to observe and select potential victims and if you happen to be at the wrong place and the wrong time and you attract their attention you just might end up being a victim . My suggestion is if you are visiting SA be as low key as possible , do not wear fancy watches and jewelry that will attract the undesired attention of our criminals .

My Rolex Submariner is my daily watch since 1986. Taking it on and off for airport security scans and the like is a pain. I try and travel as a "low value" target. I either wear a Marathon wrist watch (lightweight nylon case & cloth strap) or carry an old Russian mechanical pocket watch for all travel - US and overseas. No rings, chains - nothing. I carry that to my other gear, too. Old clothes coupled with no shaving for a week before departure and no haircut for a while and I blend in (even with my 6'4" 280# frame). I also use a phone and tablet specifically bought for travel - never used with personal info and a spoof @gmail address to boot. Stolen? I walk away. No police reports and I'm not delayed. Overseas travel with a gun? Nothing over a grand in value and nothing I could not replace in a week. Travel shotgun is 12 ga Parker Trojan. Classy but replaceable. Travel rifle is Interarms Mark X .458 Win. I can go anywhere on the planet with those guns and they look old and not worth taking. Stolen? No tears and no gnashing of teeth. I would get a copy of police report and move on. Bottom line: Stressless.
Those Brad Thor novels .............. ;) :A Outta:

I wear a watch on outings if I'm worried about the tide.
I don't own an expensive watch.

I probably don't qualify to comment, haven't worn a watch in 20 years. I can't afford to keep replacing them when I keep breaking the watch bands.

Been to SA a few times and i did have cash in my pockets, cool Richard miller wrist watch and never had anyone run up to me. I have friends in SA and they have never told me about such unfortunate issues too. I guess it depends what area you live go frequent in SA, Just like everywhere else.

i own and have been wearing three seiko,s, a gold one and two silver seiko,s for years.

DSCN8377 (2).JPG

Dont really understand the need....why would you want to wear an "expensive" watch to South Africa?

Impress who in the bush? 99% wont have a clue what you are wearing and not care anyway....except the ever present criminal element....so you decide......

Dont really understand the need....why would you want to wear an "expensive" watch to South Africa?

Impress who in the bush? 99% wont have a clue what you are wearing and not care anyway....except the ever present criminal element....so you decide......

This right here and why wear a real nice watch with the prospects of something happening to it.

Since I retired the only time that I even wear a watch is when I am hunting. And then it is a good Timex that you can buy for $50... It does everything that a watch needs to do plus more. And if I happen to destroy it somehow I just go buy another one.

Anymore I don't even bother changing the batteries in them, I just buy a new one.

Reactions: IvW
This right here and why wear a real nice watch with the prospects of something happening to it.

Since I retired the only time that I even wear a watch is when I am hunting. And then it is a good Timex that you can buy for $50... It does everything that a watch needs to do plus more. And if I happen to destroy it somehow I just go buy another one.

Anymore I don't even bother changing the batteries in them, I just buy a new one.
I do not own a watch....

Those Brad Thor novels .............. ;) :A Outta:

The other thread on this topic included coordinated attacks by attractive ladies on those brave enough to wear a Rolex outside the comfort of their own home. The danger associated with Swiss timepieces knows no bounds.

Ordinary diver watch, Seiko, or Citizen. Thats what I wear, worldwide!

I havent bought one for years. My old watches keep running, I just change the wrist belt, on occasion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg