Do you wear your expensive watch to South Africa?

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
Dont really understand the need....why would you want to wear an "expensive" watch to South Africa?

Impress who in the bush? 99% wont have a clue what you are wearing and not care anyway....except the ever present criminal element....so you decide......
Sigh. It has nothing to do with impressing anyone. My old Submariner or new Sinn are unlikely to attract a second look unlike the gizmo loaded electronic pseudo dive and pilot watches pouring out of China. What it does have something to do with, is appreciating the perfection of a mechanical timepiece, built by artisans with the same craftmanship of a fine rifle. That pleases me in the same way I am pleased by my .275 Rigby, Van Gruff knife, or Courteney boots. I could get by just about as easily in Africa with a Ruger All American, Old Timer knife, and Red Head hunting boots. But I wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much.

Red Leg

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
The other thread on this topic included coordinated attacks by attractive ladies on those brave enough to wear a Rolex outside the comfort of their own home. The danger associated with Swiss timepieces knows no bounds.
Glad someone is literate. ;)

Last edited:

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland

IvW

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA, CHASA
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
Sigh. It has nothing to do with impressing anyone. My old Submariner or new Sinn are unlikely to attract a second look unlike the gizmo loaded electronic pseudo dive and pilot watches pouring out of China. What it does have something to do with, is appreciating the perfection of a mechanical timepiece, built by artisans with the same craftmanship of a fine rifle. That pleases me in the same way I am pleased by my .275 Rigby, Van Gruff knife, or Courteney boots. I could get by just about as easily in Africa with a Ruger All American, Old Timer knife, and Red Head hunting boots. But I wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much.
Clearly I am not a watch pro.....

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
The other thread on this topic included coordinated attacks by attractive ladies on those brave enough to wear a Rolex outside the comfort of their own home. The danger associated with Swiss timepieces knows no bounds.

Wait, you’re saying that if I wear an expensive watch attractive ladies will attack me???

YancyW

Gold supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI, RMEF, Ducks Unlimited
Wait, you’re saying that if I wear an expensive watch attractive ladies will attack me???

I thought it was my dashing looks and personality, but that poster seemed to imply it was the watch?

Reactions: WAB

IvW

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA, CHASA
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
Optical illusion......you will just be ooening yourself up as a target for criminals of which we do not have a shirtage over here...

If that was true I would be wearing 4 on each arm....sadly it is not so I dont wear one.....

Reactions: WAB

mark-hunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Namibia - Kalahari, Namibia - Khomas highland
Speaking of watches, I have a soft spot for Tag Heuer. In the worst case scenario, will have it as retirement gift to myself! (by that time I hope to collect all the guns I will ever want!)

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Reactions: CJW

Philip Glass

AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM

Nevada Wapati

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI, NAHC, RMEF, NBU, WSF
Hunted
Namibia, RSA
Can't wear an expensive watch as I don't have one.

jpr9954

AH veteran
Reaction score
Website
www.onlygunsandmoney.com
Member of
NRA, SAF
The biggest danger I faced from my Rolex Air King that was originally my father-in-law's was not being on time. The watch has been rebuilt more than once and it still loses about a minute a day. I keep it for its familial connection to the past but wearing a quartz watch most days.

TheWhitetailNut

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Ontario, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Florida, New Mexico, Namibia
I must admit, I hardly ever wear my Breitling at all. I have a Ti Citizen that is much more comfortable and lower maintenance. In Africa it felt right to not wear a watch at all.

Deputy Dog

Reaction score
You get it. Thank you. It’s not about impressing anyone. It’s about craftsmanship, quality and timelessness.

I’m trying to gather information on exactly how safe it is in RSA to wear a Rolex. I don’t care if my Rolex gets scratched. It’s made to stand up to that. I wanted to have the memories of a safari with that watch. But given what everyone has said, I will take a cheaper watch. No sense in putting myself in danger. I have a nice watch collection with plenty of watches that I enjoy that are cheaper and less flashy than Rolex.

Red Leg

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
Hunted
You get it. Thank you. It’s not about impressing anyone. It’s about craftsmanship, quality and timelessness.

I’m trying to gather information on exactly how safe it is in RSA to wear a Rolex. I don’t care if my Rolex gets scratched. It’s made to stand up to that. I wanted to have the memories of a safari with that watch. But given what everyone has said, I will take a cheaper watch. No sense in putting myself in danger. I have a nice watch collection with plenty of watches that I enjoy that are cheaper and less flashy than Rolex.
My submariner has been to Africa with me each time I have gone there, and a lot of other places as well over a bunch of years.

It is always your call.

Tra3

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Namibia
Been to SA a few times and i did have cash in my pockets, cool Richard miller wrist watch and never had anyone run up to me. I have friends in SA and they have never told me about such unfortunate issues too. I guess it depends what area you live go frequent in SA, Just like everywhere else.
A Richard Mille is quite a watch! Cool May be an understatement.

Tanks

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Dont really understand the need....why would you want to wear an "expensive" watch to South Africa?

Impress who in the bush? 99% wont have a clue what you are wearing and not care anyway....except the ever present criminal element....so you decide......

Seeing that I have no interest in shooting livestock I would not be wearing an "expensive" watch in South Africa. ;)

Other African countries I will wear my watches. Not to impress people as 99% of people even here in the States can't tell a Breitling from a G-Shock anyway. I wear watches because I enjoy them and the workmanship.

I have a Rolex Sea Dweller that I have worn through most of the world for about 20 years or so though it is retired now and sits in the safe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErnestMur5

Latest profile posts

Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.
Rickmt wrote on Leica Sport Optics's profile.
will Leica Amplus 6-2.5x15x50 fit on a pro success Blaser with low mount?