Do you think the 2021 hunting season will have great deals on African hunts?

chiefdale

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
curious if next year south Africa opens back up to hunting will we see outfitters offering steeply discounted hunts to decrease their herd population or just the opposite increase in prices to help recoup losses from 2020. Just a talking point but curious on other peoples input and some outfitters input . would believe there should be some great cull hunt deals next year. Stay safe and virus free

Boots on the ground know more than I do but from my WhatsApp buds in RSA, I'm hearing a lot of culling for meat is going on now. How that will affect '21s prices is anyone's guess.
Having said that, I'm still looking at making it back in April.

I think pricing will be more fair was alot of greedy outfitters! If you shop around you will be able to find some great pricing with a good outfitter

I have no doubt there are some greedy outfitters, but I must say that I know a few outfitters, and none of them are rich, or ever expect to get rich, doing what they do.

If you had hunted South Africa in the 2005 to say 2015 time frame, you would find today's prices exceptionally reasonable. It was not uncommon in the past to find sable for $9,000 and roan for that or more; buffalo were minimum $15,000; lions were $30,000 +; giraffe were north of $5,000 if they were available at all. Even impala were in the $600 - $900 range. You can also compare today's prices to prices for hunting in North America . . . and South Africa compares very favourably.

Prices have come down materially because of a good supply of animals and increased competition, and these have combined to create great opportunities for hunters. If we see market prices get much lower, something will have to give and whatever does give, is unlikely to be good for hunters long term.

To add to this post 1) I agree that in general Africa is more affordable now more than ever. 2) Outfitters live well, definition of rich is very debatable. 3) I have been surprised that more "deals" are not being seen given the big surge in exchange rate. Currently 18.61 to 1 USD. When I went in 2018 that was closer to 12-13. Thus in local currency you are talking about an almost 50% increase just from the currency exchange. I understand that prices in SA may have increased because of this currency change but SA and surrounding countries do produce a lot of products domestically.

I find this kind of sad .... I would rather see an effort to try and assist a lot of those lossing all they worked for their whole life ..... There will for sure be a lot going out of Business. Do not think this is the time or place to see hoe low they will go.

Most people rolled over to next year which means there i general should not be to many openings . The exchange rate is in my opinion irrelevant . We pay in USD to market and that just increase very year.

All imports fuel etc is connected to the USD makes it more expensive for us to operate ..... my 5 c .......

definition of rich is very debatable. 3

Agree 100%. I was referring to financial perspective, but for those of us stuck in offices our entire lives, the life of someone living on a large, wild, hunting area could well be considered rich.

Agree 100%. I was referring to financial perspective, but for those of us stuck in offices our entire lives, the life of someone living on a large, wild, hunting area could well be considered rich.

My thoughts exactly.

My 2¢, The gotcha in this ongoing debate is the demographic monster. Hunter numbers are declining at an alarming rate.

My 2¢, The gotcha in this ongoing debate is the demographic monster. Hunter numbers are declining at an alarming rate.

I agree. It will be interesting to see which model wins: the low cost/high volume South African/Namibian model or the high cost/low volume model such as found in Ethiopia, Tanzania, Cameroon, etc. It helps to have an animal, like LDE, which is not found elsewhere. What hunters there are may still fill up your limited quota. If you have more common game, you may find that only the lowest cost operators survive.

Either way, if hunter numbers continue to decline, there will be more losers than winners, and that includes the animals.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is really sad to read some of the comments. Cheap pricing, greedy outfitters and more. In a time like this when tourism and hunting is on the brink of collapse people still want to milk the cow which is starving and look for cheap deals. Rather feed that cow and make sure it survives so you can have more milk next season. Sir, may I ask what will you hunt in 5 years when all is gone. Will you then wake up and think I should have done more for wildlife than looking for a cheap deal. In the end it is all about the survival of wildlife and more than ever the people that is taking care of that areas and populations. Forget about greed. We are all businessmen. We know what it takes to run a business successful. But it is your dedication as hunter that can now make a difference by joining forces with outfitters and make sure that hunting is something that could be sustainable done on a legal basis for your kids and your grand kids. Communicate now with your outfitter and see how you can assist.

I think that some outfitters and game farms will probably go under as there's not enough hunters for all, that said I believe supply and demand in a free market economy will succeed. There are so many other things whittling away at the hunting industry like airlines not transporting guns and trophy export restrictions and the list goes on and on. It will be death by a thousand cuts that eventually lead to the demise of hunting, especially international hunting, not covid 19.

It will probably end in very little to NO income season for most of Africa .... This needs to be seen in perspective... Most of the Outfitters , Landowers, Camp Staff , Trackers etc have NO other source of income .

Income is seasonal and in most cases run from March to October. So this means without an income since October then extra expenses for most marketing from Jan to March with the expectation of starting to earn somewhere between March and April to again roughly October .

Then again a marketing season from January to March ...... pending we can fly out of Africa by then.

Being realistic how many do you guys think will survive this ? It is not a question of what deals there will be . It is a question of will there be a place to go . I hereby again ask clients to give support to Outfitters in whichever way they can . Even if it is just moral support . To support Phillips point .... Feed the cow to ensure milk tomorrow do not try and be the last guy to get milk . Africa needs your support !

This post came to mind after seeing this today .....
FB_IMG_1589500446030.jpeg

I think pricing will be more fair was alot of greedy outfitters! If you shop around you will be able to find some great pricing with a good outfitter
I don't know what you're talking about? The last couple of years pricing is significantly lower than in the last 20. I feel like the industry is going to collapse if it goes any lower.

what kind of pricing do you think we will see in 2021 and 2020 for hunts?

curious what kind of pricing we will see next year.possible lots of great cull hunting packages or dicounted hunts to get people back because harder to get there(DELTA) or will we increase in prices to help off set some of the looses the outfitters incurred to stay open.love to hear from outfitters prayers are with you to hopefully survive and stay in business

Last edited by a moderator:
I am hearing of more people getting interested in hunting because it is that much more affordable. I am sure that there are all the makings of a cycle here where reasonable price brings in more hunters, which hopefully will balance it all out. Don't forget the local hunter, his money is good too and there are thousands of them, I am one. We have even started a hunting club thats brought an extra eight guns out of the cobwebs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross