Do you know this deer hunted in Australia?

RickK

AH senior member
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Member of
Life Member: SCI, DSC, NRA, CPRA
Hunted
Argentina: [Santa Fe, San Luis, Cordoba, La Pampa, Mendoza, Entre Rios, Buenos Aires, Neuguen], Brazil, Canada: [British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, NWT], Iceland, Mexico: [Campeche, Aguascalientes, Baja, Coahuila, Chihuahua, Sinoloa], Mozambique, New Zealand, South Africa, Uruguay, U
Do you know this deer hunted in Australia?

This deer is the smallest of the six species of deer in Australia and although they are a close relative of the chital (Axis deer), bear little resemblance to them. They are similar in size to a sheep.

Hog Deer Hunting Australia_5.jpg
Hog deer stag_0730F830-14A4-11E5-AC9402E22D9E6A7F.jpg
hog_zpsdd2bbf14.jpg
hogdeer2.jpg
Slide273.jpg

Cool looking deer. Something seems kinda weird with the eyes though....

these are the only deer in Australia that we need tags for
the season runs from april 1st at sunrise , till april 30 at sundown
each hunter applies for their tags , which allow you to harvest , both a hind and a stag
the most succssesful way of hunting these guys is lots and lots of recon
working there patterns and setting up a high seat
last year my daughter started in feburary watching her stag and virtually lived in the trees all of april , and never connected , although she let a couple walk that I would've taken she held out to the very last light on the last day , and walked home empty handed
more and more of late the little hoggies are being pushed out of their habitat , by the bigger samba deer as their popu;lations continue to boom, and are now starting to live in n the coastal regions where the hoggies have thrived
these guys are fun and challenging to hunt

Sounds a lot like whitetail in the states, esp in the northeast

Just to add to what bluey has already posted. These are Hog deer and outside a few private properties live in coastal region of southeast Victoria. As bluey mentioned there is a season that runs through April and works on a tag system. Tags are required even if deer is taken on private land. Public land is limited to a couple of state forest areas. The best opportunity to hunt these deer is to enter a ballot run by the Australian deer association each year to hunt two national parks in the are. Again tags are required and each hunter that is drawn is given specific dates the may hunt. Also he is limited to one male and one female deer. One taken the deer them must be taken to a specific location for inspection. I think the amount of groups and number of hunters are selected depending on a count done each year by the parks people (not certain about this). Hog deer are small with a stag standing less then meter and a really fat one weighing 50kg.
Antlers are always maximum of six points and anything over 14-15" is considered a good trophy. 16"+ is exceptional. Hog deer are a very good eating and are probably more closely similar to Sambar deer then Axis (Chital) in taste. Of all the species of deer in Australia this one is the hardest to get for most hunters as hunting opportunities are limited. Access to private property is very hard as the area is fairly populated with property sizes fairly small. Most hunters that have access rarely share this privilege with anyone other then the clesest of friends.

Again as bluey mentions the area was actually a site of the first Sambar deer release in Australian and now there are very few sambar there, as they found the High country of north east Victorian and beyond more to there liking and are thriving. Population continues to increase, hunters have lots of opportunity to hunt this amazing animal in any state forest and even some national parks with only a game licence that can be purchased anytime.

As Richteb and Bluey noted correctly - these are Hog Deer! Thanks guys!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elisabeth1

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross