Do you have a pet that is native to Africa? (show pictures)

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
I was wondering if any one else here had a pet that was native to Africa? show us a picture and a little info.

I have a South African fat tail scorpion (Parabuthus transvaalicus). While not something I can actually touch, its more like a fish that doesn't require as much maintenance. The little critter is beyond easy to take care of and costs next to nothing in terms of food. as long as I keep it warm and feed it a single cricket a week then it seems to thrive. Funny though, the little critter has learned that the tongs I use are the "bringer of food" so when ever the tongs are around it will come over to them to inspect for food.

the little guy is about 2" long at the moment (adult is around 4-5") and has gotten used to me being around so is no longer shy as can be seen in the picture.

scorpion.jpg

Attachments

• scorpion.jpg
    scorpion.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 91
Your pet's American cousins are one reason I look forward to leaving Phoenix one day. Does it glow under a black light?

Your pet's American cousins are one reason I look forward to leaving Phoenix one day. Does it glow under a black light?

The joys of shaking out your boots or shoes and learning not to leave any clothing laying on the floor.

Been there done that.

no idea on the black light but I would assume it does. we have some native scorpions on the eastern side of WA but nothing compared to what you got in AZ. but on that note, I have owned a Arizona hairy scorpion (Hadrurus arizonensis) in the past.

-matt

Used-to have heaps of African wild ass (feral donkeys) sneaking into my yard at night and bashing-over rubbish bins, making a mess.

I always thought chameleons were cool, then when I was old enough to get one I figured out how much they required. Pretty finicky, way too high maintenance for me. I do seem to see some cool critters when I go to southern Africa, a couple cobras, puff adder, rock monitor, lots of small lizards and a few sun spiders/camel spiders. But nothing I'd want to keep around my house.

No scorpions for me, but they are quite interesting.

I thought it would be cool to have a steenbok as I understand in RSA, some have them for pets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marquesgriffin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois