Do you have a pet that is native to Africa? (show pictures)

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
I was wondering if any one else here had a pet that was native to Africa? show us a picture and a little info.

I have a South African fat tail scorpion (Parabuthus transvaalicus). While not something I can actually touch, its more like a fish that doesn't require as much maintenance. The little critter is beyond easy to take care of and costs next to nothing in terms of food. as long as I keep it warm and feed it a single cricket a week then it seems to thrive. Funny though, the little critter has learned that the tongs I use are the "bringer of food" so when ever the tongs are around it will come over to them to inspect for food.

the little guy is about 2" long at the moment (adult is around 4-5") and has gotten used to me being around so is no longer shy as can be seen in the picture.

scorpion.jpg

Attachments

• scorpion.jpg
    scorpion.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 48

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
Your pet's American cousins are one reason I look forward to leaving Phoenix one day. Does it glow under a black light?

JimP

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA, RMEF
Hunted
US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
Your pet's American cousins are one reason I look forward to leaving Phoenix one day. Does it glow under a black light?

The joys of shaking out your boots or shoes and learning not to leave any clothing laying on the floor.

Been there done that.

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia

no idea on the black light but I would assume it does. we have some native scorpions on the eastern side of WA but nothing compared to what you got in AZ. but on that note, I have owned a Arizona hairy scorpion (Hadrurus arizonensis) in the past.

-matt

BenKK

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Used-to have heaps of African wild ass (feral donkeys) sneaking into my yard at night and bashing-over rubbish bins, making a mess.

Ryan

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Black Sheep Bowmen Archery Club.
Hunted
Namibia and South Africa
I always thought chameleons were cool, then when I was old enough to get one I figured out how much they required. Pretty finicky, way too high maintenance for me. I do seem to see some cool critters when I go to southern Africa, a couple cobras, puff adder, rock monitor, lots of small lizards and a few sun spiders/camel spiders. But nothing I'd want to keep around my house.

cagkt3

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, SCI - West Texas Chapter, HSC, NRA Life Member, Ducks Unlimited
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, OK, TX, UT, KS
No scorpions for me, but they are quite interesting.

Hogpatrol

Silver supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA,
Hunted
RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
I thought it would be cool to have a steenbok as I understand in RSA, some have them for pets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GioUno

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!
Pete0905 wrote on damundsen87's profile.
Hello
Is the Khales 1-6 still for sale?
Thanks
Josh