Nhoro

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe
So lockdown fever struck, even though I am still working during the week but less hours. So I have tackled a few jobs around the house and a few just for pleasure. So I started one evening sanding off the finish on my CZ 550. Didnt have any paint remover and hardware shops are shut so I bit the bullet and started. So after about 4 hrs of sanding with 220 grit and a block to get the varnish off, I switched to 400 grit for smoothing it off.
Here is what it looked like before I started- kind of uniform brown, not much figure and you can see in the last pic how the pits of unfilled grain show up.
IMG_6230.JPG
IMG_6231.JPG
IMG_6232.JPG
IMG_6233.JPG
IMG_6234.JPG

So when I had finished sanding, it look pretty dull and pale but felt really smooth. I couldnt resist so I put some boiled linseed oil on and had a look at the grain. The next couple of photos were when I had finished the first coat. Showing some promise already !

IMG_6237.JPG
IMG_6238.JPG
IMG_6239.JPG
IMG_6240.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
And now today, I think 4th coat of boiled linseed, sanding it in every time for about 10 mins and then hand rubbing the oil in. Starting to get a nice shine to it.I am happy that there was a bit of grain hiding under the gunk that CZ sprayed on it. the wood has a much nicer look and feels smooth. A few more coats and I think I will be really happy with it.
IMG_6244.JPG
IMG_6245.JPG
IMG_6246.JPG
IMG_6247.JPG

It is looking good but take some shots almost parallel to the surface so we can see how the unfilled grain is going away. That and the fit of the recoil pad to to the stock are the two things I first notice on a wood stock. I think I'd probably go to a 600 grit surface. Since the manufacturers use machine sanding these days I don't understand why they don't take the time to smooth down to 600 grit themselves.

IIRC, Winchester used to fill the grain on the pre-64 Model 70s with something before sanding, and also (again IIRC) mixed a wax in with last few coats of linseed oil.

I’ve been debating on doing this to mine for a while now! Are you going to put on a Silvers recoil pad to add to the look?

It is looking good but take some shots almost parallel to the surface so we can see how the unfilled grain is going away. That and the fit of the recoil pad to to the stock are the two things I first notice on a wood stock. I think I'd probably go to a 600 grit surface. Since the manufacturers use machine sanding these days I don't understand why they don't take the time to smooth down to 600 grit themselves.

IIRC, Winchester used to fill the grain on the pre-64 Model 70s with something before sanding, and also (again IIRC) mixed a wax in with last few coats of linseed oil.
Still got some grain filling to do as you will see in the pic. It also still has a fairly matt finish so more work to do for sure ! One thing I do have is some extra time on my hands. recoil pad is the old factory one so I have to get a decent recoil pad and fit it. I cut the stock a little shorter already .

IMG_6249.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good. I don’t mind unfilled grain and it’s pretty standard on factory guns these days. Only you will notice small things like that when it’s done.

I really like BLO and even thicken my own raw linseed oil for spoons and cutting boards. Not sure if you’ve ever used TruOil but if you finish with a couple of coats it will look pretty identical to straight BLO with a bit more protection for the wood.

If you want any qualified advice maybe VonGruff will answer questions.

Good job.

Definitely don't want to darken that wood up too much. Looks beautiful. Sometimes you can really luck out on factory wood, especially if you're willing to put the work in.

I think you effort is going to pay off sir!

That has made a world of difference to your previous factory finish. Did you whisker the wood before starting on the wet sanding with blo as the sanding in of the first coats is what will have filled the grain but something to be wary of is wiping the filler out so gently wipe accross the grain with a soft paper towl. Leaving to dry / harden and repeating untill the grain is filled with the result depending on the grain in each particular stock. Some blanks will only require a single wet sand while others like yours may benefit from more as you have shown. Very nice result.

That has made a world of difference to your previous factory finish. Did you whisker the wood before starting on the wet sanding with blo as the sanding in of the first coats is what will have filled the grain but something to be wary of is wiping the filler out so gently wipe accross the grain with a soft paper towl. Leaving to dry / harden and repeating untill the grain is filled with the result depending on the grain in each particular stock. Some blanks will only require a single wet sand while others like yours may benefit from more as you have shown. Very nice result.

Thanks Von Gruff. I have seen some of your work on the forum and appreciate your input. I did raise the grain and sand. But as you say, I probably rubbed too vigorously and removed the BLO out of the grain. I am sure it will fill with a few more thin coats of oil.

Nice job think I am going to do my stock now to have something for the next 2 weeks
Go for it. It wasn't really that hard, just patience and taking it slow. The linseed oil is interesting. Practice on a scrap piece of wood first. When people say little bit at a time, it is less than you think. Also the first coats (2-3)soak in and dry quicker with a matt finish. The coat that starts to shine dries much slower. oh and always sand with the grain !

So Von Gruff really got my mind spinning on the whole grain filling thing so I decided that something worth doing is worth doing right. So I have sanded in some BLO to get a good mud and the grain is pretty much filled. I am leaving it to dry now but will post some pictures once I am done.

So Von Gruff really got my mind spinning on the whole grain filling thing so I decided that something worth doing is worth doing right. So I have sanded in some BLO to get a good mud and the grain is pretty much filled. I am leaving it to dry now but will post some pictures once I am done.
Pleased I was able to offer some helpful advise. You will not be dissapointed.

Thanks for posting this. I want to do the same thing to my CZ. Pardon my ignorance though, but what is 'BLO'?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kathi6164

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.