Disabled hunters

wvmedic

AH member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
I am looking to hunt Africa in 2023 but I have a hereditary lung condition that has caused emphysema. This has left me with fifty percent lung capacity. That and I am a fat 53 year old makes it hard for me to walk distances at times, hills really kick my behind. I can walk a couple hundred yards on fairly flat ground reasonably well, I still get a little winded with that though. I'm working on the fat part, I felt and slept much better when I was 225 pounds. I'm carrying around a sack of feed now 24/7 though.

I would like to hunt in order of priority.

#1 Kudu in the 50 inch range
#2 Gemsbuck
#3 Blue Wildebeest undecided on Bull or Cow
#4 Impala
#5 Warthog if possible

My Fiancee will be coming with me and would like to tag along as a observer.

Is this realistically achievable?

Thank you, Jeff

I would estimate 90% of outfitters in Namibia and South Africa can easily accommodate you. Be upfront about your limitations and they will make a plan. However, I might suggest a flatter area like the free state or central Namibia.

I’m extremely lucky to not yet have significant physical limitations. Happy to walk all day. Nonetheless, I enjoy hunting from a stand over a water hole. Bring a book, relax, see tons of game, shoot something if I feel like it. I’d honestly be disappointed if I didn’t spend some stand time. Just make sure your outfitter understands your limitations and can work with them and you will have a great time

Jeff, NB Safaris just had a wheelchair client say this:

"As a wheelchair bound hunter this was my first trip to Africa for a safari the staff at NB Safaris where are extremely helpful and they were in the process of making renovations for more wheelchair-bound hunters everybody went above and beyond to make this the greatest experience ever if you ever get the chance to go I highly recommend it"​

also take a look at the adventures of the 2 hunting Grannies:

I'm sure many can accommodate you if they know the limitations. I'm sure they will try give you a crack at the trophies you are chasing. I found Kudu were a little harder to access but not impossible.

@GAME 4 AFRICA SAFARIS might be able to put you on these animals.

I applaud you for even making the effort to hunt in Africa! I'm sure there are a number of outfitters who can accommodate you. Good luck on your quest!

Hi Jeff
We would be glad to assist you in Botswana.

Hi jeff

We would be happy to make your dream a reality

As long as u can walk a little we would do our best to get you the opportunity to take the trophies

Looking forward

Dear Jeff,

Cruiser Safaris have been in operation for 25 years and has had clients with all kinds of limitations. Please see Joel's safari as a reference.

Our goal is for you to have the best safari ever, no matter what your limitations. We appreciate a hunter with an appetite for life!

Check out the 10-day package, it will give you all the animals on your list :)

I am looking to hunt Africa in 2023 but I have a hereditary lung condition that has caused emphysema. This has left me with fifty percent lung capacity. That and I am a fat 53 year old makes it hard for me to walk distances at times, hills really kick my behind. I can walk a couple hundred yards on fairly flat ground reasonably well, I still get a little winded with that though. I'm working on the fat part, I felt and slept much better when I was 225 pounds. I'm carrying around a sack of feed now 24/7 though.

I would like to hunt in order of priority.

#1 Kudu in the 50 inch range
#2 Gemsbuck
#3 Blue Wildebeest undecided on Bull or Cow
#4 Impala
#5 Warthog if possible

My Fiancee will be coming with me and would like to tag along as a observer.

Is this realistically achievable?

Thank you, Jeff
Any thing is achievable with the correct outfitter our terrain is flat and will gladly assit

Jeff, your honesty is refreshing, thank yiu for that
I have a property with blinds where yiu could ambush animals, and if that does not work good enough we could do short stalk on level ground
Please feel free to email me
Info@spearsafaris.com
Cheers
Ernest

Just a few things to consider
From what you say, its likely you might need to shot from the truck
Ensure you only pay for what you shoot, don’t go for a package.
Don’t be pressured to take shots, you are not comfortable to take.
I am not sure what outfitter or PH mean when they say.
We can make a plain

Hi Jeff,

I've send you a PM

Best Regards

Good day Jeff

We will be able to assist you, feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

Just a few things to consider
From what you say, its likely you might need to shot from the truck
Ensure you only pay for what you shoot, don’t go for a package.
Don’t be pressured to take shots, you are not comfortable to take.
I am not sure what outfitter or PH mean when they say.
We can make a plain
@wvmedic
I understand your concerns and I feel you may be put off by the response above.

You are getting many referrals to respected operators here.

I had concerns planning my first and only international trip. I went to South Africa. I had several offers to customise a package for me.

I exchanged many emails and even called my preferred operator, finally I settled on something. Price, animals and even meal preference s .

Work out your requirement s, set them out for prospective operators so you can make a fair comparison of the packages and choose one that suits.

If you choose to go learn to relax and go with the flow. Speak up if you need to make adjustments.

I don't have a specific recommendation for an outfitter, other than to say that all of the reputable ones you see active on AH are going to be more than willing to work out a plan for you to be able to hunt. These guys will carry to a blind if they have to, I promise you a hunt is absolutely achievable.

, Thank you to everyone who responded. I'm going to look deeper into it. I now have some positive feedback that it is possible to do. Don't get me wrong, I'm not on oxygen yet. I do have good and bad days though. I will be starting an excercise program in hopes of building up some endurance.
I have a couple busy days ahead and will reach out to some of the outfitters as I can.

Thank you again, Jeff

You can hunt from the blind, anywhere. (like bowhunters generally hunt) So, no need to walk.

Average PG safari on Namibian od South African farm is driving by 4wd, then stopping in vicinity of game, then stalking, at relatively close range from car.
Specify your needs and expectation, and majority of outfitters will give you an offer exactly as per your needs.
Before you have completed your first safari, probably you will start to plan for next

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlynnHeini

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.