Dip/Pack vs Tanning

Discussion in 'Taxidermy' started by SETH RINGER, Jun 20, 2017.

1. SETH RINGER

SETH RINGER AH Senior Member

Member of:
    NRA, SCI, DSC
    Hunted:
    TX,AK,PA,AZ,FL,AL,GA,SC,ME, PHILIPPINES, NAMIBIA, SOUTH AFRICA, ZIMBABWE, ARGENTINA, CANADA
    Was going to send this straight to Dennis but thought others might be interested in the question too. If this has been covered in the past, my apologize. in researching dip/pack services, I see some offer tanning services. Highveld Taxidermists in RSA touts their tanning as being top class. Is there upside/downside to having the tanning done there instead of dip/pack and then tanning here? Seems to make sense to me. Thx.

2. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
    Found this in one of the threads.

Search "tanning" member The Artistry of Wildlife for a few comments throughout time

3. SETH RINGER

SETH RINGER AH Senior Member

Member of:
    NRA, SCI, DSC
    Hunted:
    TX,AK,PA,AZ,FL,AL,GA,SC,ME, PHILIPPINES, NAMIBIA, SOUTH AFRICA, ZIMBABWE, ARGENTINA, CANADA
    THX BRICKBURN! That answers my question.

4. Buckdog

Buckdog AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    I actually asked the taxidermy doing my dip pack if they would tan some stuff and they said no not unless they were doing the taxidermy too. all of that with the blessing of Dennis as he know the place and trusted them.

5. sheephunterab

sheephunterab AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, Wild Sheep Foundation, AFGA
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Namibia, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, Azerbaijan, Kyrgyzstan, Argentina, Canada, USA, Russia
    What Brickburn posted is bang on....For flat skins and back skins I'll get them done in Africa every time but not capes.

6. PARA45

PARA45 AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Nicaragua, FL, CA, SD, GA, SC, CO
    I had a terrible experience with Highveld Taxidermist, and I would not recommend them for anything. Terrible work on my mounts, and a couple of other things. I have a post on them here. I'm sure there are some excellent taxidermist in SA, but if I had a chance, I'd give mine mounts to Dennis.

I know you are not mounting them, but here is one example of what I dealt with.

photo 1-1.jpg