Dip and Pack Complete, now what?

RStien321

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Long-time lurker, first time poster. I completed my first hunt in South Africa in July, and just got word my dip and pack is complete. I was told an exporter, Zingela Forwarders, would be picking up the trophies for export.

What things should I be working on/thinking about going forward? Any advice or insight on the process would be appreciated!

Most of us use a import agent to clear the shipment. If you are close enough to a port of entry you can do it yourself. Otherwise hire it done. They will charge for packing and shipping and then you have the import fees. Then off to your taxidermist.
Bruce

Welcome to AH!

As @gillettehunter said, look at an importer for clearance.

Thanks for the reply. When do you engage the import agent on the return shipping process? I have one my taxidermist recommended.

I would let them know right now who will be shipping your stuff for you from South Africa. Also the D/P company will need all your info and the clearing agents info as well, but they should ask you that when they contact you.

@roberq is a member here and I am sure they can help you. Coppersmith is also a very popular importer and one that I have personal experience with. You will need to let whoever is doing the shipping know who the importer is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd ask Zingela Forwarders if they are associated with anyone like Coppersmith (http://www.coppersmith.com/services/export/). When I shipped my dipped and packed trophies, Coppersmith handled both end and I paid one bill. Coppersmith paid the local shipper.

One other thing, you are most likely needing to ship to a tannery, not your taxidermist. Check with your taxidermist and see who they use for tanning. The tannery will need to have the proper import license to be able to receive the dip&packed trophies.

I would say to start on getting your stuff in line now. I would say to get it all set up before they ship anything.

Thanks for the reply. When do you engage the import agent on the return shipping process? I have one my taxidermist recommended.

As others have said, now. You definitely do not want the hides/horns leaving RSA until someone on this side ensures the paperwork is in order. If they hit U.S. soil and something isn't right, USFWS will confiscate them and you'll not likely get them back from what I've seen.

I've never had a problem, but I know of some who have.

Welcome to AH!

The others have you pretty well covered but I'll restate it.

Get the paper work moving now with whoever you are planning on using. You will need to provide them with a power of attorney so that they can work on your behalf once the trophies hit US soil. It would of been best it you would of done it before you went on your hunt but you should be alright now.

As also was mentioned if you have a trophy such as a warthog in the shipment they need to go to a USDA approved location. Some taxidermist have it but most don't want to bother with it. On my safari I planned on shooting a warthog and the shipment of it along with the rest of my trophies (horns and skins) would of went to the tannery instead of my taxidermist. But I didn't manage to get the job done on the warthog so all of my trophies went right to my taxidermist.

I'll also second SSI. They did a great job keeping me informed of what was happening as I just sat back and waited for my trophies to show up. They know just what is happening and make sure that all and I mean all paperwork is complete and correct even before the crate left South Africa.

+1 on what everyone has said. Look up SSI they are handling my shipment as in the past. They will make it easy for you.

+2 for what all have said.
DO NOT LET ANY OF THE STUFF BE SHIPPED FROM AFRICA UNTIL YOU HIRE A REPUTABLE IMPORTING COMPANY HERE IN THE USA AND THEY LOOK AT AND CHECK ALL OF THE PAPER WORK!!
Because if that paper work isn't correct and I mean completely correct the odds are good USFWS will confiscate your stuff or at least cause you grief!
I do my own but I live close to a USFWS port of entry and I am "seasoned" at importing and dealing with USFWS, etc. BUT even I had a major war with a "supposed reputable" dip/pack company that I have used before because this year they screwed up several of the export permits and documents badly. If I had not know what I was doing my stuff would have been seized and as it was all the paperwork was never 100% and I had to call in a favor and majorly piss off a PH that I used to consider a good friend over the deal. SO be careful use SSI or coppersmith.
dip/pack and ship I think is a total rip off and the worse part of international hunting!!!!!!!!!!

+2 for what all have said.
DO NOT LET ANY OF THE STUFF BE SHIPPED FROM AFRICA UNTIL YOU HIRE A REPUTABLE IMPORTING COMPANY HERE IN THE USA AND THEY LOOK AT AND CHECK ALL OF THE PAPER WORK!!
Because if that paper work isn't correct and I mean completely correct the odds are good USFWS will confiscate your stuff or at least cause you grief!
I do my own but I live close to a USFWS port of entry and I am "seasoned" at importing and dealing with USFWS, etc. BUT even I had a major war with a "supposed reputable" dip/pack company that I have used before because this year they screwed up several of the export permits and documents badly. If I had not know what I was doing my stuff would have been seized and as it was all the paperwork was never 100% and I had to call in a favor and majorly piss off a PH that I used to consider a good friend over the deal. SO be careful use SSI or coppersmith.
dip/pack and ship I think is a total rip off and the worse part of international hunting!!!!!!!!!!
I so agree! dip/pack is a complete rip off!

Welcome to AH RStien321! Good luck on your shipment!

Do yourself a favor and insulate yourself of unnecessary aggravation and hire an import agent. The time you'll waste tracking down your heads in addition to running down to the airport can be a nightmare. Let someone who does it for a living handle matters.

Do yourself a favor and insulate yourself of unnecessary aggravation and hire an import agent. The time you'll waste tracking down your heads in addition to running down to the airport can be a nightmare. Let someone who does it for a living handle matters.

Absolutely correct! All the details like the process to get trophies back to US and into your hands should have been done near the beginning of the safari planning process. Get a reputable customs broker asap.

I should have given some more details before posting - that's what I get for trying to make a post from my phone.

Before I left for my hunt I had contacted Fauna and Flora, who my taxidermist recommended I use as a broker, and sent them Power of Attorney and shipping destinations in the US. I wasn't aware there was also an export agent as part of the process on the RSA side, and that was really what threw me off. The broker, export agent, and I am now on a common email and I think all is looking good now.

Thank you everyone who responded to the thread - I really appreciate the insight. There are a ton of moving pieces involved, but I believe I have it all figured out!

Now to answer your OP question........ you wait my friend!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lepani

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!