Dineo Brings Good Rains

NamStay

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
THE tropical depression Dineo which was expected to hit Namibia on Saturday was downgraded to a normal low pressure system that brought rain of between 60mm and 80 mm to some parts of the country.

The Namibia Meteorological Service on Friday announced that Dineo would last until tomorrow, and would cause flash-floods, heavy rainstorms with more than 50mm of rain, and strong winds between 50 and 60km an hour.

The depression originated as a cyclone off the coast of Mozambique, and passed over South Africa and Botswana on Friday afternoon.

Updated weather reports over the weekend, however, indicate that the tropical storm was downgraded and only came with moderate winds, with the exception of Namutoni and Rehoboth, which experienced strong winds.

Heavy rain was recorded in some areas, with Steinhausen recording 60mm of rain, Outjo 63mm, Omaruru 54mm and parts of Otjozondjupa up to 45mm.

The system mainly brought moderate rainfall and moderate to strong winds of between 17 to 24km/h.

According to the Meteorological Office, the system entered Namibia in the north-east and passed over parts of the Omaheke, Kavango, Zambezi and Otjozondjupa regions during the early morning hours of Saturday.

It then swept over the Oshikoto, Oshana, Kavango West and East as well as northern Otjozondjupa regions by mid-morning on Saturday.

The system was expected to cause rainfall of approximately 13mm at Walvis Bay and Swakopmund last night, and is expected to gradually move to the northern coastal areas today.

Although the depression was degraded to a normal low pressure system, the Met office emphasised that because cyclonic systems abruptly change directions and intensity, they will constantly monitor the system.

According to the police, no incidents or damage was reported as a result of this weather phenomenon.

Well sounds like the country got the benefit of additional rain without the associated wind damage. Rain and more rain is a good thing. ( except in California USA where they are now getting mudslides)

Great news for Namibia!

Being from Louisiana very familiar with the system you had. I was hoping it would do something like this. Glad to see some got the rain they needed. Like normal it's either too little or too much.

Well sounds like the country got the benefit of additional rain without the associated wind damage. Rain and more rain is a good thing. ( except in California USA where they are now getting mudslides)

We're glad for every drop!

Glad to see some got the rain they needed. Like normal it's either too little or too much.

Sadly yes

Dineo was allot less harsh on the others than on the Mozambique cost line!

@NamStay from this post and a couple of others here on AH it would seem that southern Africa is having a very good rainy season. Does it appear that these rains will be enough to end the drought? I do hope that this is the case.
Please share with us the continued developments with regards to rain fall and how that is impacting the water levels in various lakes around the country.
I have seen recent video of water coming over the spillway at one South African dam which evidently has not happen in some time.

Last edited by a moderator:
@NamStay from this post and a couple of others here on AH it would seem that southern Africa is having a very good rainy season. Does it appear that these rains will be enough to end the drought? I do hope that this is the case.
Please share with us the continued developments with regards to rain fall and how that is impacting the water levels in various lakes around the country.
I have seen recent video of water coming over the spillway at one South African dam which evidently has not happen in some time.
So far we have had very good rain in South-Africa and if it will rain like this for another month or so we would be out of the drought, there are some areas that have had more water in the last couple of weeks than in the last couple of years but other areas are still waiting for more constant downpours. I think we are allot better off in South Africa at this stage than what we were a year ago this time.

In my opinion Namibia haven't received enough some rain, but I'm confidant that we will receive some more. The southern part of Namibia are still very dry in certain parts. Let's hope and pray for the best. Some more news on the rain.

NamWater opens Hardap Dam sluices

HardapDam.png

HARDAP Dam became the first in the country to have its sluices opened yesterday after its water level touched 68% of capacity.

With dam levels across the country having risen significantly over the past two weeks, the Mariental Town Council's CEO, Paul Nghiwilepo, yesterday said NamWater had ordered that the Hardap Dam's sluices be opened at a rate of 200 cubic metres per second.

He said 300 cubic metres of water was flowing into the dam per second, and that they might increase the outflow to 400 cubic metres per second.

With the current water inflow, the dam level is expected to increase to 73%. Yet NamWater wants to keep the level at 70% to minimise the risk of Mariental being flooded.

Nghiwilepo has ruled out any flood risk when the water reaches the Fish River, as the current outflow of 200 cubic metres per second does not pose any risk.

A study compiled by the department of water affairs after the Hardap Dam was built in 1962 indicated that reeds could have an impact on water flow in the Fish River.

The first flooding of the southern town occurred in 1972 when the Hardap Dam sluices were opened fully. Floods again hit in 1974, 1976, 2000 and 2006.

According to NamWater's latest weekly dam bulletin, released yesterday, dam levels across the country are showing substantial increases compared to the same period last year.

The Von Bach Dam was yesterday recorded as 42,8% full (21,5% last year), the Omatako Dam 31,5% (6,5% a year ago), Oanob 64,5% (37,3% last year), Hardap 67,9% (45,6% last year), Naute 94,4% (95,9% a year ago), and Goreangab 101,3% (99,3% last year).

The Swakoppoort Dam was 12,1% full yesterday, compared to 14,5% a year ago.

The Von Bach, Swakoppoort and Omatako dams, which supply water to Windhoek, held a combined 42,2 million cubic metres of water yesterday. On Monday last week the three dams were holding a combined 25 million cubic metres of water. A year ago, the three dams together were storing about 22,4 million cubic metres of water.

In northern Namibia, the Olushandja Dam's level was recorded at 29,1% yesterday, compared to 26,1% a year ago.

The head of national hydrological services at the agriculture ministry, Pauline Mufeti, said yesterday that the low pressure system over the weekend contributed to expected flooding in the western Cuvelai area, covering and moving southwards from Outapi.

Source: http://www.namibian.com.na/51389/read/NamWater-opens-Hardap-Dam-sluices

@NamStay thank you for the reply. Things are looking up for you folks. When does your rainy season end? Sometime in March?

Last night was our turn. We had 280mm of rain in two days. This dam about 5km from us was at 43% on Monday. This morning well was the sight!!!
IMG-20170222-WA0002.jpg

Some of the damage we had
IMG-20170222-WA0047.jpeg

IMG-20170222-WA0027.jpeg

IMG-20170222-WA0015.jpeg

But we cant complain. After the 3 year drought everything os looking so much greener!!!

I hope all the lakes and farm dams are full by now!

The Jozini Dam is now at lower levels than last year at this time.
The storm obviously passed to the north.

Growing up on a farm, there is one thing I learned about the weather, there is no logic to anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123winmarketing

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross