Dimensions for Sabatti butt stock

Arinjit

AH senior member
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I know there are a few sabatti double owners on here and I need some help. I have one in 470, but don't have access to measure it currently. I am planning to shorten the factory LOP and install a better pad on it, but need the length and width of the butt stock to order the correct size pad. I think all the sabatti models in these NE calibers have the same stocks, so even if you own a caliber other than a 470, the measurements are probably the same. Any info on this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Can't help with sizes but I too have looked at the NE Sabattis and found I'd need to have some drop and cast off added to the factory stock so that the sights line up perfectly with my eye when the rifle is first mounted. I don't want to be trying to line the sights up with an ill fitting stock when I'm looking at an elephant at 20 yds.

Cliffy you are correct in noting that the stock should fit you well and have good "pointability" and fast target acquisition. I personally prefer the American style straight stock over the European hog back styles or similar with a bigger drop for heavy recoiling rifles. To me the muzzle flip seems less on a straight stock and I can get faster target acquisition for the second shot than I do with my other rifles with more drop. I try to overcome the small nuances by using them frequently at a range and getting used to how they handle and point, until the whole movement feels natural to me. I wouldn't want to go after elephant, or any game for that matter with a gun that I am not used to shooting.

Arinjit----Yes I like the straight stock style better and again most important is for the sights to line up with my eye immediately upon mounting and not having to try to line up the sights first then acquire the target. The sights have to line up on their own, period. Most factory stocks do not allow this---at least with me behind the gun.

The length of the stock is 5 and 4/16in and the width is 1 and 11/16in. This is measuring the end of the stock with the factory pad removed or measuring the pad where it meets the wood. Add a 14oz mercury recoil reducer in the stock while you are doing the pad and it will be good to go.!

Thanks. I agree that it is a little barrell heavy. I am not sure if I will go with a recoil reducer, actually had lead shots in mind. I was more leaning toward about 4-8oz as needed. Am curious if you added the 14oz reducer to balance it better or becuase you wanted the benefit of the reducer.

The 14oz. reducer brought my .470 to 10lb 6oz. total with the new 1in. pad also added. For my taste it is perfectly balanced now, shoots a lot nicer and just makes it handle better. Quite noticeable! Whether the recoil reducer actually reduces recoil, I think it has some effect but i only used it because it was the exact weight that i wanted to add and works nicely in the stock behind the bolt. In either case the added weight makes it pleasant to shoot. I would recommend you add at least 12oz. and consider 14oz. So as no confusion the height of the butt was 5 and 4/16in. and the widest spot was 1 and 11/16th. Good luck and you will be happy with the changes. JS

Thanks for the info. It was very helpful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!