Differences in accomodation?

Rcole1310

Reaction score
I have decided to finally experience my dream of a safari. I plan to book my first of what I hope will be many hunting trips to Africa. This first trip, I will have my wife and small children with me. I'm a hunter, and my primary concerns are the quality of the hunt and the game. However, my wife is very "involved" in selecting the accommodations. We have noticed that there seems to be a difference in the level of luxury of the accommodations based on what type of farm it is. The sightseeing type places i.e. Kruger etc. seem to have unbelievably nice places to stay...5 star. But the hunting farms don't seem to be quite as nice. Is this our perception or is this really the case? If this is the case, I'm curious why. Anyone out there familiar with really nice ranch accommodations? We found Swartkei safaris and she thinks the lodge is really nice, but I don't know anything about the hunting. I need to get this family hunt out of the way so I can get into the really deep Africa hunting :)
Any recommendations, advice would be helpful. Thanks!

Have hunted Swartkei property twice with my PH Ralph Koster [Ko-Ka Tsara Safaris] whose wife's brothers Charles And Philip Price own Swartkei Safaris. Wonderful properties, great game and accomodations. They are extremely hospitable and treated me as if I was hunting with them. Would give a 5 star rating!

Rcole1310 my main hunting concession is very luxurious and it was built for the very reason of when you bring the family along.

The trophy quality is second to none.

I do have my own property as well set up for bow hunting mainly where a lot of my clients do bring their wife’s and they have no problem but I realized that some clients would prefer very luxurious and got involved at Gnu Ranch for that very reason. Not to boast but we have our own private plane as well and since it is owned by Spiral Horn Safaris it is a great means of transport for your entire stay.

You are more than welcome to contact me or look on the web site.

Cheers Louis:biggrin2:

..In the 6-7 years that I have gotten into Africa - I have found there are more luxury hunting accomodations In africa than one can shake a stick at!
Between the shows I've watched on TV, to the outfitters I've met at SCI functions to looking at the website of outfitters on this Website, most are outstanding!
.. The place I hunted was a touch better than home but don't get me wrong it was damn nice but going myself I didn't need 5 star accomodations. If I was taking the wife along I would probably be wise to upgrade as she doesn't hunt & after 1 short trip in the bush she would be a camp home body! I have visited a few other camps on my stay as we hunted a few other concessions & to say the least some were breath taking!
....The bottom line is what do you want & there is a lot of luxury out there. Something I would have never believed had I never been there! There are a lot of high priced hotels in the States here that could take a page from Africa lodges as far as quality & 5 star accomodations for guests at an affordable rate!!

Hi Rcole1310,

I do have the facility you looking for, and i specialized in family hunts also.

Rcole, I'm not sure where you got the perception from that accommodations on ranches / farms are "not so nice" but I can assure you that in 99% of the cases the level of luxury you will find on ranches in South Africa is by far superior to that you'll get hunting in North America. (For this purpose I will exclude some of the high-end ranches in Texas where you will pay $10,000 + for a trophy white tail hunt in a fenced area)

Most Southern African Outfitters offer similar type accommodations - usually lodge-type accommodations comprising private rooms with bathrooms en suite. These accommodations are serviced each day and you will get a daily laundry service, full meals and drinks. The degree of luxury may vary but I would say the facilities at most lodges are comparable to at least 3 star hotel quality - usually more.

If you are taking your wife and children along though - picking an Outfitter that has activities available for non-hunters is almost more important than the perceived "quality" of the accommodations. Not even the best and most luxurious accommodations can make up for non-hunters sitting bored in camp.

I don't think there is anywhere in the world where you will get as much value for your money as hunting in Africa - specifically on the plains game front in RSA, Namibia and to a certain degree Botswana. Where else can you get decent full board accommmodations and all the services - guide, trackers, skinners etc for under $400p/d and hunt multiple different species?

Perhaps it is because I grew up sleeping in wall tents, backpacking and sleeping on dirt and spending many a night sleeping under the trees on saddle pads.........I have yet to see anything but exceptional accommodations in Africa. Even when you are 'roughing it' you are very well taken care of.

The average camp/lodge facilities on the game ranches in southern Africa would be considered luxurious, if not ostentatious hunting accommodations by North American standards.

I don't know why many hunters going to Africa often want the most luxurious, and the best of the best accommodation. E.g. a luxury tented camp with clean running water, hot shower, good food and sitting around a campfire (like in the old days) would bring you closer to the bush and make the hunt a more memorable experience.

I don't know why many hunters going to Africa often want the most luxurious, and the best of the best accommodation. E.g. a luxury tented camp with clean running water, hot shower, good food and sitting around a campfire (like in the old days) would bring you closer to the bush and make the hunt a more memorable experience.

I agree with you 100% Werner. That is what I look for.

I agree with Chris Troskie.

Most places have great accommodations.

Bringing a non-hunting wife and kids, my main concern would be what can the outfitter offer and do to make the stay a great experience for the wife and kids.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WinfredFin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!