Differences Between Cape & Livingstone Eland

Diego Putignano

Reaction score
Member of
SCI Argentina Chapter
Hunted
Argentina, Namibia, South Africa
What is the appreciable difference between Cape eland and Livingston eland?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm no expert in this field, but I had a run in with a very old eland a few years ago and I have done some research since.

There are two distinct species of eland: (1) the Lord Derby's Eland (Tragelaphus derbianus) and (2) the Common Eland (Tragelaphus oryx).

Lord Derby's is restricted to the west African and north central African regions: CAR, Cameroon, just into Chad and Sudan, and also Guinea, Senegal and the junction of neighbouring countries. The Common is has a wider range, across southern Africa and along the eastern side of the continent, perhaps as far up as the southern tip of Sudan and Ethiopia.

The Common Eland has three recognised subspecies if you do some basic research: Cape Eland in the south, Livingstone's in the north of their range, and East African along the north east of the range. As a matter of interest, the East African Eland is also known as Patterson's Eland. If you do a lot of research you will find reference to other "subspecies" but the taxonomic variance is largely that they are isolated populations (such as Tragelaphus oryx kaufmanni in the Caprivi). They all fall under the species of Common Eland.

watermark.php

Now in response to your post, the Livingstone's is touted as being a heavier animal, and the vertical stripes down the sides are generally much more prevalent - that's it. My PH in Zim thought this made them a much more magnificent trophy than the often faded blue Cape Eland bulls from down south. Having said that, I have met PH's and landowners in South Africa who claim to have Livingstone's bloodlines in their eland; this often means the trophy fee is higher...

The last Cape Eland I hunted was a particularly large animal with distinct white stripes along his side. My PH and I had not been advised that there were any Livingstone's Eland on the property; when I took my exceptional bull, the land owner pointed out that I had shot a Livingstone's, not a Cape Eland. I quickly pointed out that there was more variation in the stripe patterns of his kudu population than his eland - end of discussion.

watermark.php

watermark.php

Similarly, when a PH in Zim pointed out a true Livingstone's in the wild while we hunted Gwayi, the bull looked more like a typical Cape Eland to me with its indistinct body markings.

The differences are there, but in keeping with their taxonomic rank, the differences are largely due to geographical distribution or isolation. Geographic isolation has no doubt brought about idiosyncrasies in each population that give them specific characteristics; differences in body size, horn size, face and leg markings and body colouration that are peculiar to each population.

I love the idea of collecting one of each of the three commonly described subspecies of the Common Eland - or how about one of each of the 13 subspecies you will find if you do a bit of research! that would need a big trophy room and a very understanding wife!

And any such collection will need a Lord Derby's...

Attachments

• Eland Sub Species.jpg
    Eland Sub Species.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 840
  • Eland Bull.jpg
    Eland Bull.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 881
  • Eland Stripes.jpg
    Eland Stripes.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 804
Last edited by a moderator:
thank you schembridan

now I understand better

Great question I was wondering myself - what is considered a true trophy cape/livingstone eland? Thinking about on my upcoming trip this August.

dt

I like it....The Eland slam x 13

I have hunted plenty eland in SA, a lot in the Drakensberg Mountains, most have the stripes, I have yet to see a pure blood livigstone in SA, in the North of Mozambique, we have livingstone eland and you can clearly see the difference, the stripes are clearly visible and more color in the face.

Just one thing to do: collect'em all, and compare at home :)
(Eland is one of the few species I have hunted hard without success, yet. Now I have to expand my goals refering to the Eland Slam x13)

A great looking eland trophy is really a matter of choice, if you looking for the good old grey bulls, with long hair on the fore head you often have to sacrifice a bit of length, as they do work their horns down. The thickness of the bases and prominent ridges on the horns make for an impressive look. To me the size of the neck is also important.

I agree with TMS I love those big body bulls with a nice long hair or "toffie" as we call it on the forehead with thick horns worn down tips and long dewlap that is what I want in a eland

Love hunting these big boys and the meat is really good to

Keep well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelitaAu

Latest profile posts

Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,