Did my first Africa hunt, now planning my second...

Upton O. Good

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Website
www.beingkarl.wordpress.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life member, Nature Conservancy, Dallas Safari Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, South Africa, Canada, Mexico, United States, Louisiana
I returned from my first hunt to South Africa and what an incredible experience. The people, the outfitter, the animals, the weather were all unbelievable. I wanted a good challenging hunt and I got it. I worked my butt off and earned everyone of my trophies. I started out planning to take three animals (bush buck, impala and warthog) and then go bird hunting. I didn't get any of them, I only hunted birds for one and a third days. I ended up with kudu, red hartebeest, gemsbok, nyala, springbok, and blesbok. I passed on a mountain reedbuck on my second day and have asked several people to kick me in the butt for it. It was a wonderful trip, far exceeding all expectations.

IMG_3494.jpg IMG_3444.jpg IMG_3346.jpg IMG_3473.jpg

I wanted to see a Cape cobra and a puff adder, saw two puff adders, no cobra. Oh, well, there is always next time...

I wanted to see a Cape cobra and a puff adder, saw two puff adders, no cobra. Oh, well, there is always next time...[/QUOTE]

To each their own. You went the wrong time of year to run into the lizards with no legs. I prefer to never see them. Nice animals

Sound like you had a great time...

You were flexible and that made the trip a success...

if you had held out for the on your list i am not sure how happy you would have been...

Your infected like the rest of us. There is no cure. Good luck with your planning.

Puff Adder, Cape Cobra I see you were not chasing Dangerous Game but you like playing Dangerous Games. Congrats on some fine Trophies and like the rest of us the only treatment for Africa is another trip to Africa Good luck in your planning.

One more thing where did you go and who did you hunt with?

Congratulations, glad you had a good time and shot some real fine animals!

I should have clarified the snake photo: that is NOT me picking up the adder. I wanted to see them, not play with them. You are correct in the fact that it was a little too late in the year for "Mr. No-shoulders". But it had been unusually warm for a few days and we did see a couple. I was hunting southwest of Kimberley with Mike Birch's Hunt the Sun Safaris and then traveled to East Cape for my nyala and goose hunting. Mike told me to be flexible on my list of "want" animals. It took me to the end of the second day to learn why, I passed on the mountain reedbuck and a really good hartebeest despite my PH Evert's strong suggestion that I should take them. And you all are right: I am addicted to hunting in Africa. It is unbelievable.

Glad to hear you are a addict! We needed another in the party!

Congratulations for your hunt.

It pays to be flexible and follow your PH s advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg