Did I do well?

One would think that more than a few people at the highest levels of SCI would know these auction hunts are likely to end up not being a good deal. I'm with Boss Safaris, they're counterproductive to not only the industry but to SCI. SCI needs to put on it's big boy pants and quit sponsoring these auctions.

Boss Safaris was clear and to the point, I was discussing auction hunts with my last outfitter and he had been burned a few times by winning bidders shooting the animals or animal in the donation only and then refusing to add any others on.I was on an auction hunt with him at the time and I was glad I had added a day and 5 animals that totaled about $7000. Not real sure why he continues to offer up auction hunts , his animals on the A hunts are usually high dollar animals, sable or roan.
Sometimes we are forced to donate. SCI international Conventions requires a donation to exhibit at their show. Same goes for DSC, its just part of it.

@BOSS SAFARIS

Thanks for your candor and adding to this discussion.
Anytime, my candor usually gets me in trouble, but I have to speak my mind, and I am not gonna beat around the bush either. It's just how I am.

One would think that more than a few people at the highest levels of SCI would know these auction hunts are likely to end up not being a good deal. I'm with Boss Safaris, they're counterproductive to not only the industry but to SCI. SCI needs to put on it's big boy pants and quit sponsoring these auctions.
Well SCI doesn't necessarily sponsor the auction, they are the beneficiaries. So outfitters donate a package to SCI, then SCI auctions the package. SCI keeps the proceeds, the hunter gets a hunt, and the outfitter hopefully gets new business... So here you can see who usually gets the short end of the stick, and also why some outfitters are doing what they are doing with their prices.

Sometimes we are forced to donate. SCI international Conventions requires a donation to exhibit at their show. Same goes for DSC, its just part of it.
My outfitter explained the ins and outs of the convention exhibit game. As a run of the mill SCI member I had no idea what went on and I was glad to learn from him and now you.

Well SCI doesn't necessarily sponsor the auction, they are the beneficiaries. So outfitters donate a package to SCI, then SCI auctions the package. SCI keeps the proceeds, the hunter gets a hunt, and the outfitter hopefully gets new business... So here you can see who usually gets the short end of the stick, and also why some outfitters are doing what they are doing with their prices.

Thought it's pretty obvious sci gets the proceeds from the auction of the donated hunt...but some of the SA outfitters do seem to have high trophy fees when people go to check after.....;)

Thought it's pretty obvious sci gets the proceeds from the auction of the donated hunt...but some of the SA outfitters do seem to have high trophy fees when people go to check after.....;)
Well, it's obvious to us Outfitters... but not everyone knows how the donation process works. I am not a fan of it, but it's part of the industry, and I get that, I just dont agree with outrageous pricelists, and catching people who dont know any better.

I honestly can't believe this has made it to 5 pages.... :E Shrug:
Spike, I’ve only been on this forum for a couple of years and I finally figured out that there is 2 subjects that never die on here. 1 is the debate over auction hunts and the other is wimp cartridges like the 6.5 creed more. Still trying to talk the wife into Takeri!!

Good morning all,
This website is great and I've learned a ton. I recently won a trip at auction that includes 10 days, 9 nights with day rates for two hunters included for one Nyala in SA. Airport pickup and drop off to and from is included as well. Too be honest I bid thinking I wouldn't win at $800. There are other members here that have went with this outfit and seemed to have a wonderful time. My buddy and I would likely like to take 3-4 additional animals each.

The concerning issue is their pricelist which is considerably higher than others, picture attached. Price list was not shown in listing, which in hindsight probably should have been a red flag. What do you think? do I cut my losses and chalk it up to lesson learned, or go hunt?

View attachment 525865
This price list is way inflated. No way you pay 850 for an impala $2200 for a red hartebeest are you kidding me!!?
look at it this way you made a contribution to the chapter offering up the hunt.

This is a very informative thread for the novice, especially. I've bought two auction hunts over the past 20 years. They were great deals, and I did my best to see that everyone came out a winner. These make a few bucks for SCI and get a lot of publicity for the operator. But you had better know EXACTLY what you're doing before you bid. @Hunt anything .....you forgot to mention the 404 Jeffery.....that never dies in the discussions..............FWB

Spike, I’ve only been on this forum for a couple of years and I finally figured out that there is 2 subjects that never die on here. 1 is the debate over auction hunts and the other is wimp cartridges like the 6.5 creed more. Still trying to talk the wife into Takeri!!

That's great...keep sweet talking her :A Thumbs Up: :D Beers:

I will likely be talking with them in regards to the pricing.

Is bouncing to another outfitter common? what do the logistics typically look like in this instance if we chose another outfit in Limpopo or another nearby province?

I had 2 clients last season that jad 2 other “auction” hunts lined up
One before hunting with me and 1 after
Be careful with this and sort your logistics
I found the guys who had the clients for the auction hunts a bit possessive and not helpful at all with transporting clients to or from me

See exactly where u will be hinting amd where the other outfitter is if you want to move outfits
A 100-200kmnin a rural area can be very far and if you are already 3-500km from a big coty there arent any transport services operating out there

I do think u should go amd hunt the nyala and may e another 1 or 2 animals and your friend maybe 1 or 2 animals and them get out of there and hunt somewhere with decent priced day rates and trophies

I do not like the concept of auction hunts the only guys benefitting are the SCI’s or whomever received the donation
I believe if you donate a hunt then its a donation dont look to “make” the value back as its a donation. Hopefully for a good cause
I do believe there should be reserve (market) prices on these auctions so ot doesnt mess up market pricing

Anything else feel free to ask

Regards

Good morning all,
This website is great and I've learned a ton. I recently won a trip at auction that includes 10 days, 9 nights with day rates for two hunters included for one Nyala in SA. Airport pickup and drop off to and from is included as well. Too be honest I bid thinking I wouldn't win at $800. There are other members here that have went with this outfit and seemed to have a wonderful time. My buddy and I would likely like to take 3-4 additional animals each.

The concerning issue is their pricelist which is considerably higher than others, picture attached. Price list was not shown in listing, which in hindsight probably should have been a red flag. What do you think? do I cut my losses and chalk it up to lesson learned, or go hunt?

View attachment 525865
I would do some more research. I've been on one good donated hunt and one bad one. Not too good of odds. Please compare to other established outfitters.
Compare what you will wind up paying on the donation with the 10 Day/12 animal/$7000 package from www.frontiersafaris.com. Make a spreadsheet because it may be an eye opener!
If you go on this donated hunt make sure you "talk up" what you are adding to your outfitter. This can make the hunt go better.
Philip

We’ve had some threads from new members who “won” a safari at a SCI, DSC or so on auction. While there are some great auction buys such as donated hunts from the Duckworth family of Mokore Safaris which lists there to and from the airport, and trophy fees. The Duckworths are the exception to the auction hunts. They have however been in the outfitter business for 40 or 50 years… Other outfitters perhaps cannot give away too many free hunts. That stated, we were all naïve at some point in our lives and made somewhat similar mistakes.

I hunted with @Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS in 2021 and everything passed muster. In naval terms that means passed a stringent inspection. And when it comes to money for services the Marine in me comes out and “views most everyone in this world with a tolerant scorn”. Stuart, Rudi, and all their staff provided such an outstanding hunt and camp experience in 2021 that I took my wife and her sister’s family to Tally Ho in October, 2022.

Since I trust Stuart of Tally Ho, I asked him to coordinate a CBL lion hunt for me in conjunction with a cull hunt at Tally Ho. Here are the two hunt reports:

https://www.africahunting.com/threa...ses-hunt-with-tally-ho-hunting-safaris.71691/

https://www.africahunting.com/threa...-tally-ho-hunting-safaris-october-2022.71692/

As @Philip Glass recommended, there are other fair and noble outfitters other than Stuart of Tally Ho. I haven’t hunted with then so I can’t recommend them. Phillip has and his recommendation is good enough for me. Take your pick of any highly recommended Africa Hunting sponsoring outfitter and ditch the high priced auction hunt! A good outfitter will treat you right because repeat clients are the best!

Figure out your budget for hunting including daily fees, trophy fees, and tip for a job well done. If that is say, $6000 per person, then contact @Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS , Phillip’s recommendation, and other recommended outfitters. If it were me, I’d ask for a package deal that would more than make up for the $400 per person, and one animal that you SHOULD forget about!

Or this 3-buffalo cull hunt:

You and your buddy could select the 3 buffalo deal and the $5500 package and split the animals! Wow!

Or maybe @Lex Strauss SAFARIS
https://www.africahunting.com/threads/crocodile-bushbuck-7-day-combo-package.72932/
https://www.africahunting.com/threads/trigger-time-9-day-hunting-package-south-africa.73663/

I haven't hunted with Lex, yet. We have however conversed many times and I know he has integrity.

The last thing you want is to be with a disgruntled outfitter who “has your back”, a couple hundred kilometers from civilization. If you don’t choose to waste lots of money on their double-priced trophy fees, it will be like being stuck in a bad marriage.

Run away from those screws!

PS: Since this is your first safari, don't be afraid of a discounted "cull" hunt of older animals, or those in excess to the safari area. I would not plan on bringing home any "trophies" from a cull hunt but that's not bad. If you hunt with a great outfitter, this won't be your last safari. After you gain experience from a safari or two, decide on what your "bring home" trophies should be.

Last edited:
We’ve had some threads from new members who “won” a safari at a SCI, DSC or so on auction. While there are some great auction buys such as donated hunts from the Duckworth family of Mokore Safaris which lists there to and from the airport, and trophy fees. The Duckworths are the exception to the auction hunts. They have however been in the outfitter business for 40 or 50 years… Other outfitters perhaps cannot give away too many free hunts. That stated, we were all naïve at some point in our lives and made somewhat similar mistakes.

I hunted with @Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS in 2021 and everything passed muster. In naval terms that means passed a stringent inspection. And when it comes to money for services the Marine in me comes out and “views most everyone in this world with a tolerant scorn”. Stuart, Rudi, and all their staff provided such an outstanding hunt and camp experience in 2021 that I took my wife and her sister’s family to Tally Ho in October, 2022.

Since I trust Stuart of Tally Ho, I asked him to coordinate a CBL lion hunt for me in conjunction with a cull hunt at Tally Ho. Here are the two hunt reports:

https://www.africahunting.com/threa...ses-hunt-with-tally-ho-hunting-safaris.71691/

https://www.africahunting.com/threa...-tally-ho-hunting-safaris-october-2022.71692/

As @Philip Glass recommended, there are other fair and noble outfitters other than Stuart of Tally Ho. I haven’t hunted with then so I can’t recommend them. Phillip has and his recommendation is good enough for me. Take your pick of any highly recommended Africa Hunting sponsoring outfitter and ditch the high priced auction hunt! A good outfitter will treat you right because repeat clients are the best!

Figure out your budget for hunting including daily fees, trophy fees, and tip for a job well done. If that is say, $6000 per person, then contact @Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS , Phillip’s recommendation, and other recommended outfitters. If it were me, I’d ask for a package deal that would more than make up for the $400 per person, and one animal that you SHOULD forget about!

Or this 3-buffalo cull hunt:

You and your buddy could select the 3 buffalo deal and the $5500 package and split the animals! Wow!

Or maybe @Lex Strauss SAFARIS
https://www.africahunting.com/threads/crocodile-bushbuck-7-day-combo-package.72932/
https://www.africahunting.com/threads/trigger-time-9-day-hunting-package-south-africa.73663/

I haven't hunted with Lex, yet. We have however conversed many times and I know he has integrity.

The last thing you want is to be with a disgruntled outfitter who “has your back”, a couple hundred kilometers from civilization. If you don’t choose to waste lots of money on their double-priced trophy fees, it will be like being stuck in a bad marriage.

Run away from those screws!

PS: Since this is your first safari, don't be afraid of a discounted "cull" hunt of older animals, or those in excess to the safari area. I would not plan on bringing home any "trophies" from a cull hunt but that's not bad. If you hunt with a great outfitter, this won't be your last safari. After you gain experience from a safari or two, decide on what your "bring home" trophies should be.

Mark as you are an honorary zambian due to your madam being zambian....you should be hunting here.....not that country down there somewhere..... :E Shrug: ;)

Maybe get the outfit to quote you on the hunt & animals that you would like to take and see if you can use the $800 as the deposit or credit to the hunt.
Get your buddy to request the quote whatever.
The outfitters are running a business they might be ok with changing the auction to a package so everyone is happy.

Maybe get the outfit to quote you on the hunt & animals that you would like to take and see if you can use the $800 as the deposit or credit to the hunt.
Get your buddy to request the quote whatever.
The outfitters are running a business they might be ok with changing the auction to a package so everyone is happy.

The $800 didn't go to the outfitter but to whoever was putting on the banquet. That is the main reason that the price list is so high.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VenusPined

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross