Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Texas,Namibia,Kansas, Missouri, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, South Africa, New Zealand
I interested in knowing the depth of the average cape buffalo shoulder mount. The distance from the wall to the tip of the nose. Does anyone have any ideas the type of mount that would have the least depth.

Mine is right at four feet!

image.jpg

I think I can make that work. My kudu comes out 42 but buff can be higher up the wall.

Skull mount is how I got mine it's about 16 inches in depth or so.

I may do skull mount kind if depends on the animal.

I just imagined a Buffalo Mount requiring 64 cubic feet of space (4x4x4).
After that little observation I determined I did not have that amount of space to donate to one trophy.
Euro mount in the end.

He very well may be my last shoulder mount. I think I will have room for one but have to get him first:sneaky:

Reactions: BWH
Well this is going to be interesting... my buffalo is being stitched up into a pedastal wall mount as we speak... this thread is helpful!

Side question, has anybody spaned the gap in between studs with plywood and then sheeted with dry wall? We are building new and was considering doing this in some key areas for heavier mounts. My theory is it will be more secure and give more freedom for exact placement. Crazy?

Great Q & A..... of all animals that demand such space. The Buffalo looks badass either way.... Euro or Shoulder. Go with what you have room for & wallet for. Look great both ways I bet! Good luck!

Well this is going to be interesting... my buffalo is being stitched up into a pedastal wall mount as we speak... this thread is helpful!

Side question, has anybody spaned the gap in between studs with plywood and then sheeted with dry wall? We are building new and was considering doing this in some key areas for heavier mounts. My theory is it will be more secure and give more freedom for exact placement. Crazy?
A 2x6 block between the studs in areas where you would have a heavy mount would work but you would have to know the location more percisely

Try turning a 2x6 stud sideways next to your other studs in key areas. This will be strong and allow for a total of 7" surface and will not intefere with insulation, wiring, etc. Cost about $4 each and you can mount at any height vertically you want.

I interested in knowing the depth of the average cape buffalo shoulder mount. The distance from the wall to the tip of the nose. Does anyone have any ideas the type of mount that would have the least depth.
Measured mine which is a pedestal and it is 46" back to nose, 44" wide and 44" tall. Has a slight right turn which reduces its width. Hope that helps.

I have seen this done and it works great! In fact someone here on AH was building a trophy room and sheet rocking over plywood!

I think he will fit between Nyala and Kudu.
20170422_194908.jpeg

When I refinished one wall where my trophies hang I thought about using 3/4" plywood under sheetrock but that would of brought the wall out too far to match up with some other trim in the same room. But if you are redoing the same room or building new it would be a good idea, then you could put a mount anywhere that you want on the wall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg