Delta Titanium 1.5-9x45

njc110381

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hi guys. I've been searching around for a while for a scope that could do everything on my .416. I like a bit of magnification for longer range shots, just personal preference really, but appreciate the need for low mag too when close in. This one seems to do it all with some added good bits on top.

The 45mm objective lens will be great in low light when the magnification rises. 45mm will take me right up to 6x and still maintain the optimum exit pupil size, something the little x20 or x24 scopes just can't do. For me that's handy, especially for UK use where I will be shooting small deer out to 200m or so possibly.

My only concern is the recoil. I need to look further into the warranty and build quality of Delta optics. I have one already on a smaller rifle and all seems well, but the Rigby will really knock it about. Does anyone here have any experience with them?

I guess with most users sticking with the tried and trusted Leupold 1.5-5 there was only a slim chance of anyone using one of these. I've asked the supplier to give me specs for tube length so I can see if it fits over the long action. All being well I'll probably buy one, so will keep you all posted after I've used it. They have a ten year warranty, not too bad as long as they honour it for recoil damage!

I have one on my 7mm Rem Mag.
Works just fine but on a 416 I don't know.
The one who sells them here says they will work up to 6000J.

I’ve never seen them in the states.

I’ve never seen them in the states.

Trijicon rebrands and sells a couple of their 34mm tube long range Accu Power scopes. Didn't see the OP's scope on the list.

is 85 mm enough eye relief on a 416 rigby?
bruce.

A valid point. It's going to be cutting it a bit fine isn't it! That said, my Leupold that was on it before was only 94mm and the flip up cover took another 5mm off of that. That's never kissed me...

Edit... I know - I'll put the Leupold back on and slide the flip up back another 10mm, see if that hits me. If it does it's rubber so soft, will be a good indicator

check out the lynx 1-6 x 24 south African website for eye relief of 106 mm.
bruce.

It's frustrating how the eye relief varies with the magnification. My Leupold is apparently 114,, at 1.5x, but wind it up and I lose 20mm!

I don't want to be scoped. Having had a smaller rifle draw blood I can only imagine what a slap from a .416 would feel like. The sling stud hurts enough if I don't pay attention to it and I have working man's hands!

njc,
you are dead right there.
it takes a lot of work to develop a good follow through, and 1 hit in the head can take you back to the beginning again, or even worse.
high power target variables can be very bad with varying eye relief, as evidenced by some of the march scopes in particular.
fortunately scopes such as 1 - 5 can be set up with optimum eye relief on 5 power, and on 1 power there is more latitude with a bigger box so you can use it without noticing.
everything in optics is a trade off.
for example when wide angle scopes were all the range, the wide angle came at the expense of reduced eye relief.
as modern scopes get a greater range of magnifications, could this be at some cost too?
in my own experience, as game gets bigger, max scope power for longer ranges becomes less important.
bruce.

I think in Africa a 1-5 would be fine. You don't need a 15x scope to shoot the vitals of a buffalo. The trouble I have is using my rifle at home to shoot our deer, which I would really like to do just to gain experience. The deer I'm most likely to encounter are about the size of a red duiker. 15kg. A buff's head weighs more than that!

I am maybe being a little silly with my choice. A lot of the deer I've shot in my life have been shot using either iron sights or the 1.5-5x20 Simmons scope that I had fitted to my Brno combination gun. It's no big deal, I just had to do a better job of stalking to get close enough. The trouble is ow my ground has changed and ranges are longer, or at least it will take a lot more work to get close in more open country.

Not that it matters. The way I shoot my .416 at the moment I'd miss completely at 100m! I really need to work on that.

Leupold VX-6HD/5HD eye relief 94-97mm low to high. Either of those would do fine, though I’d go with the 6 to have that little extra on the high side. Up close, 50 yards and in, I’d rather use good iron sights and would have my scope on a good QD mount.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShanonBurc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.