Delta just cancelled June 1 ATL to JNB flight

We always flew SAA from New York to JNB due to direct flight time but that has come to an end. Booked Qatar out of Boston for 2020 but that did not occur. Just before things closed up, Qatar changed our departure flight by 30 minutes and later offered a refund or a rebooking. We took the $1200++ cash per RT ticket as a refund. This year, we rebooked Qatar at just over $600 per RT ticket for the same flights and we paid with miles. We have been checking Qatar on line and on this site weekly for issues and have found none. Everyone I spoke to personally about Qatar has glowing comments. Can't say that about United or Delta. The flight might be longer, but 20:25 hours broken into two flights beats 18 hours and months and months of worry whether the plane will even leave the US - or come back!!!

Checked a previous routing and Air France is still flying out of Dulles with a stop in CDG, Paris, total time 33 hours. Test departure date was May 26.
Worst airport I ever went through.....

I gave up. My Delta flight was too leave on 7/1. Just found out that was cancelled. I took my s refit to use on my 22 July hunt and booked through Qatar with Lori at Travel Express for my July 21 hunt. Almost twice the travel time and four flights versus two but at least I know I will get there and back. Delta sucks
My flight on 6/28 is still a go. Not sure what is going on.

Those rules may only apply to domestic U.S. based airlines. Me and my buddy got ours from Qatar for last year's cancelled flight. The option was a credit for a future booking.
Their website states they've refunded 600,000 passengers 1.2 Billion dollars in refunds. Another reason to not dick around with Delta. Read this article and compare it to Delta and United's policies for cancelled flights. Then if they cancel or reroute you, bend over, forward.

Interesting for sure. I guess there are unicorns out there!

Interesting for sure. I guess there are unicorns out there!

I think it may have a lot to do with your flight status on delta. I have received refunds for domestic and international flight from them a number of times. However, I have millions of miles with Delta. Once I burn up the remaining 1.5 million sky miles their attitude will likely change!

You can read this or read and infer that but airlines do not give refunds. They just don’t.
My Delta flights on April 30 were cancelled, Lori at Travel Express got us full refunds( 5 tickets comfort plus) no hassle .

I gave up. My Delta flight was too leave on 7/1. Just found out that was cancelled. I took my s refit to use on my 22 July hunt and booked through Qatar with Lori at Travel Express for my July 21 hunt. Almost twice the travel time and four flights versus two but at least I know I will get there and back. Delta sucks
Did Delta email you about the cancellation? We are scheduled to fly with Delta on 10 August and I am getting a little worried about it. If they give enough heads up notice about cancellation I will try to book with Qatar.

I think it may have a lot to do with your flight status on delta. I have received refunds for domestic and international flight from them a number of times. However, I have millions of miles with Delta. Once I burn up the remaining 1.5 million sky miles their attitude will likely change!
Having been there I can guarantee it's not the same for the peasants.

Reactions: WAB
We had no problem getting refunds today. The Atlanta to Johannesburg flight leaving on the 9th of June was the only leg canceled on our trip, which was a bit weird, but regardless, they did give us refunds with no questions asked. Rebooked on Qatar in business class since it was only $700 more than what we paid for the premium select seats on Delta. I think it will be money well spent. It was quite a bit more to fly out of SLC on a business ticket on Qatar, almost 1500 more, so we booked a delta flight to Dallas.

Coach on Qatar for that time frame from SLC to JHB was only $1600 round-trip which is a hell of a price.

Last edited:
Did Delta email you about the cancellation? We are scheduled to fly with Delta on 10 August and I am getting a little worried about it. If they give enough heads up notice about cancellation I will try to book with Qatar.

They do not. They try to reschedule you not knowing it might impact your hunt. For example going through Amsterdam you need a special gun license but if you don’t know to get it they will stop your rifle there and you will end up in Africa without your gun

We did not receive any notice it was canceled. This was similar to when our flight in June 2020 was canceled. Since delta has a hub here in SLC, it is easy to fly with them to pretty much anywhere, but I won't fly Delta again to Africa. The customer service we've gotten when we call in has been good but damn, you need to be clear and upfront with your customers about cancelations. In today's world, automated emails are not hard to send.

They do not. They try to reschedule you not knowing it might impact your hunt. For example going through Amsterdam you need a special gun license but if you don’t know to get it they will stop your rifle there and you will end up in Africa without your gun
How did Delta let you know about the reschedule?

I just contacted Delta, and they told me that my 6/12 flight on DL200 had not been cancelled.

???

If Delta does cancel, is Emirates Ok to fly on with guns?

I'm sure the cancelation will be incoming soon. Qatar and Emirates are good on guns but I'm pretty sure both require prior approval to travel. There's lots of info out there on the forum about it and I'm sure someone more familiar with it will come along and give you better info too.

I just contacted Delta, and they told me that my 6/12 flight on DL200 had not been cancelled.

???
Curious since there has not been a DL #200 in about a year. The new Direct ATL to JNB is Delta 204.

Are you sure you haven't been rerouted through Amsterdam (AMS)?

My June 6th flight is cancelled. Crap!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffreyOKe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg