Delta Implements New Rule For Guns in Checked Bags

PM sent

Found it. That's interesting as other airlines I've used to Africa had the 5k limit regardless of case weight. At any rate, the only time my ammo was looked at was with Air France in Dulles by a clueless gate agent that just wanted to see if it was in ammo boxes and not loose. The weight was immaterial to her.
SAA has not been consistent as to handling of separate locked ammo cases. At certain airports within RSA, SAA may require ammo be separate from all bags which of course can add a very large extra bag charge when connecting to other airlines. I had that happen in Durban on way to Joburg connecting to the Delta flight to Atlanta. Delta was going to charge me $220 for the extra checked "bag"- the small ammo case. Delta reps in Joburg were very understanding when I explained what had happened in Durban and graciously waived the extra bag fee. I've heard it can happen in certain other RSA airports as well. I've never had an ammo (or checked gun for that matter) problem with US carriers in US, nor with SAA flights to or from US, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Mozambique or Zambia. I avoid Europe so that's a non-issue for me. Within RSA and even for transit thru RSA airports, locals or your PH should know before hand about "local" rules and can alert traveler so there's no surprises. I've never had an issue with max weight of ammo and can't imagine having to take anywhere near 11 pounds of rifle ammo for anything! The only weight issue I could imagine ever having would be something like shotgun ammo for bird hunting.

All I did when SAA required me to check my ammo separately was to recover it at baggage claim and then put in into my checked luggage for the overseas trip home. Both flights were on SAA but one was all in South Africa where the second one was the flight home.

However on my flight over on SAA I never did remove my ammo from my luggage and neither did my hunting partner.

So I called and spoke with a Delta rep for over 30 mins. This may be the most absurd reasoning I have encountered. For purposes of South Africa I have to have the ammo in a separate locked case. For purposes of Delta if I check in with the ammo in the separate locked case then the total weight of ammo and case cannot exceed 11 pounds. However, I can simply place all the ammo in my locked rifle case and that is acceptable to Delta.

The problem is I would then be arriving in South Africa with the ammo in the same container as the rifles.

Does anyone know with certainty if I would have an opportunity to transfer the ammo from my rifle case into the separate locked case upon my arrival in South Africa without running afoul of South African requirements?

Alljuiced
That rep obviously had no idea what they were talking about. While it is true South Africa demands you keep the ammo separate from the gun in a locked case, that case may be inside of another checked bag. They will only make you take it out within South Africa once you transfer to connecting flights in country and only with live ammo. I only ever bring my empty brass back myself

I usually travel with my ammo in a separate, locked case. That isn't strictly required by Air Canada - the ammo can be in the checked bag, as long as it's packed properly - but it makes life a lot easier in Africa, where most airlines require the ammo to be in a separate case. I've been asked for the weight of my ammo on several occasions, and airlines have always been satisfied with "less than 11 pounds."

I have never - repeat, never - encountered any policy which states that the weight of the ammo case is included in the weight of the ammo. In fact, I often put my hunting knife or other odds and ends in the same case as the ammo.

If this change by Delta becomes a "real thing", this could cause a lot of trouble for those of us who tend towards more ammo rather than less.

The most annoying part of all of this is that while I can sort of understand the gun changes after the events in the US, I see no reason why Delta changed the ammo policy.

Hopefully this doesn't catch on.

I have never - repeat, never - encountered any policy which states that the weight of the ammo case is included in the weight of the ammo. In fact, I often put my hunting knife or other odds and ends in the same case as the ammo.
................. .

They tried this on me once and I pulled out the section of the IATA agreement and did a lesson on interpretation. It is specific about Ammunition weight. NOT a container.

Never flown Delta to Africa before but will fly them in July, and then this stuff pops up! Good grief! Our ammo weight will be well under the max though, so no worries there. I also have never shipped an ammo box outside my luggage on its own either. I plan to start with it in my main stowed bag.

They tried this on me once and I pulled out the section of the IATA agreement and did a lesson on interpretation. It is specific about Ammunition weight. NOT a container.
I agree, but that seems to be what Delta has done.

Now, can you make my life easier and give me a link to the IATA document?

When at the ticket counter speaking to the gate agent, DON'T VOLUNTEER ANY INFORMATION ABOUT AMMO. I tell my buds, KYFMS and act dumb, put the unloaded firearm tag in the gun case, your ammo in a Pelican or other case in your checked baggage and that's IT! If I had a dollar for every time the initial gate agent was on the mark with firearms, I could take a free flight.

Last edited:
When at the ticket counter speaking to the gate agent, DON'T VOLUNTEER ANY INFORMATION ABOUT AMMO. I tell my buds, KYFMS and act dumb, put the unloaded firearm tag in the gun case, your ammo in a Pelican or other case in your checked baggage and that's IT! If I had a dollar for every time the initial gate agent was on the mark with firearms, I could take a free flight.

I assume you can legally do that in the US. Things are different in Canada. Air Canada states:

Passengers travelling with a firearm, ammunition or cartridges must declare the items during the check-in process and complete a declaration form.
If you fail to declare the ammo, it will be discovered when they X-ray the bags, and your trip will likely be off to a bad start.

Not saying to NOT declare it. Just don't get in to a dissertation about calibers, how many rounds, how much, weight, what animals, Africa, blah blah blah, etc. The least said, the better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross