Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
Folks,

I'll be hunting in Mozambiques next year. But as is my habit I'm already considering the options for travel. The plan now is to fly to Johannesburg, likely overnight there, then take the Airlink flight the next day to Mozambique. Looking at various options, it seems like PHX-ATL-JNB on Delta for the first leg is the least complicated and least expensive option.

My first trip to Africa in 2010 was on Delta and I had no issues. However in recent years, I know of those that have. It also seems even more recently I've read where Delta was advertising the ATL-JNB flight as a daily flight, but in reality it's not.

So I'm curious to know what others experience say in the last year has been with Delta on the famous Flt 200 has been?

Screenshot_20230504-084148.png

I'd book it with confidence. I've taken it twice, once in comfort + and then last year in delta one. I'll be on this flight again May 31 in Delta one. The flight is daily now. I don't recall when they started going daily but it was a while back. My opinion is, if you fly enough, you're bound to get on a flight that is canceled or delayed, and basically all airlines suck in that regard, some just slightly less than others. I prefer delta over other US airlines because flying out of Salt Lake City I can get direct flights to a lot of places.

If your return flight is direct from joberg to Atlanta, it will have a bunch of empty seats, meaning if you fly coach, you might have options of being able to move to another seat area that is less crowded.

Myself and several buddies just got back from South Africa. We all flew that flight. Only issue we had was upon landing in ATL they didn't have a gate for us so we sat on the tarmac for about an hr. Almost missed our flight home becuase of it, but it all worked out. Other than that there wasn't a problem at all and will fly delta every year!

I would have done it in 2021 in a heartbeat, but Delta suspend that flight because of the China virus.

I had to fly United ATL-EWR-JNB. It was OK, but would have much rather just flown ATL-JNB.

I don't like to risk my rifles not being there when I get there.

Reactions: MTA
I fly half a million miles most every year on Delta, did the Atlanta to Johannesburg in September no issues. Fly to Asia every month and many cross country trips. Look up their stats, alway rank much better than any other large airline. They are not perfect but I have found out the hard ways flying United or American. There are excellent other airlines in the world but to me I like Delta and the Atlanta to Johannesburg is a very accessible and direct way to Southern Africa
DA7D8E9B-AEF2-49AF-8D36-735DA8522095.jpeg

That is good to hear, as I have booked that flight from ATL to Joburg this August. Trying to not getting to excited , just yet.

I will be on it this saturday (Premium Select) and can update this thread with my experience if that helps
Please do, I'd appreciate it.

Reactions: MTA
Thanks for all the replies folks. I will definitely keep this on the list of options. It is the most convenient option for sure. My last two trips were on Qatar Airlines. Great experience and the price just could not be beat. But for this trip, the itineraries are not optimal and their prices are not what they used to be, i.e. they're much more now. On par with other airlines, but that makes the itinerary that much more important.

Before that was Emirates, which was also great. But again, the itineraries are not optimal nor is the price.

@PHOENIX PHIL ive been looking at this flight as well. We (family of 4) are headed there SA next June and I’m thinking PHX-ATL-JNB seems like a very straightforward way to go. I’ll have to watch this thread for a bit before deciding to go that route.

Just got back 2 weeks ago.
Denver to Atlanta to Joburg.
Everything on time and smooth.
Mid week coach with many empty seats both ways. Some people had a full row to sleep in.
We at least had an empty seat between us both ways.

I know this thread is about flying Delta, but having recently flying United.

My last two trips to the US I have flown United from Joburg to the US. Upon arrival I found that my business class flight had been changed to another later economy class flight.

Needless to say I contacted my travel agent to express my displeasure and receive a refund, results “we will assign an agent to look into this”.

I am flying on Delta from home to ATL and then JNB in late July. I had 700,000+ miles so I was able to get my daughter's and my Premium Select tickets that way. Right after booking the flights, Delta changed the domestic flight schedule. My 3 hour layover in ATL went to 1 hour, so I changed it to an earlier flight, which made for a 6-7 hour layover. Then Delta tweaked the schedule again and the layover is now only about 5 hours.

Delta changed their rules about lounge access and usage. There's something about accessing the lounge no earlier than 3 hours prior to a flight. Guess they don't want people camping out for 8 or 10 hours.

Thanks for all the replies folks. I will definitely keep this on the list of options. It is the most convenient option for sure. My last two trips were on Qatar Airlines. Great experience and the price just could not be beat. But for this trip, the itineraries are not optimal and their prices are not what they used to be, i.e. they're much more now. On par with other airlines, but that makes the itinerary that much more important.

Before that was Emirates, which was also great. But again, the itineraries are not optimal nor is the price.
Phil
i am also looking at what to do for next year. I will be on Delta for Namibia, RSA, and Zim this year. Comfort+ on the first two and Premium Select on Zim. Delta is flying daily but there are still rumblings of a Cape Town stop on the way home. I've not seen anything confirming this but it would be a bummer! If anyone knows about the CPT stop please advise.
like you I've been spoiled on Qatar. You will have to wait it out to find a decent business class fare if they materialize while coach fills up. I like to have my flights done early to be able to select the seats I Want.
I am really wanting to take the Qsuite next year to Zim. It is the best itinerary.

I am flying on Delta from home to ATL and then JNB in late July. I had 700,000+ miles so I was able to get my daughter's and my Premium Select tickets that way. Right after booking the flights, Delta changed the domestic flight schedule. My 3 hour layover in ATL went to 1 hour, so I changed it to and earlier flight, which made for a 6-7 hour layover. Then Delta tweaked the schedule again and the layover is now only about 5 hours.

Delta changed their rules about lounge access and usage. There's something about accessing the lounge no earlier than 3 hours prior to a flight. Guess they don't want people camping out for 8 or 10 hours.
It is 3 hours before your initial flight. On layovers there is no limit. I read this on their website. Of course it doesn't help me unless I buy Delta One since I don't have the CC with lounge access. The schedule is constantly changing for us as well!

Folks,

I'll be hunting in Mozambiques next year. But as is my habit I'm already considering the options for travel. The plan now is to fly to Johannesburg, likely overnight there, then take the Airlink flight the next day to Mozambique. Looking at various options, it seems like PHX-ATL-JNB on Delta for the first leg is the least complicated and least expensive option.

My first trip to Africa in 2010 was on Delta and I had no issues. However in recent years, I know of those that have. It also seems even more recently I've read where Delta was advertising the ATL-JNB flight as a daily flight, but in reality it's not.

So I'm curious to know what others experience say in the last year has been with Delta on the famous Flt 200 has been?
Be careful with Lami air in Mozambique. They are very unreliable. They'll let you book flights on weekends, but those flights never actually take place! Definitely get a travel agent for Mozambique

Be careful with Lami air in Mozambique. They are very unreliable. They'll let you book flights on weekends, but those flights never actually take place! Definitely get a travel agent for Mozambique

We will DEFINITELY NOT being using Lami per previous advice and research. We will be using Airlink, it costs more, but is far more reliable than Lami from what I've read and been told.

We will DEFINITELY NOT being using Lami per previous advice and research. We will be using Airlink, it costs more, but is far more reliable than Lami from what I've read and been told.
Our travel agent (gracy travel) knew that Lami was a nightmare, and I am sure would have avoided it if possible. There may be some reason why we didn't use SA Airlink, but I can't remember what it was

I was on DL200 on saturday. The plane came in from Seoul later than expected so we took off at exactly 11pm est. Boarding was uneventful. Food wasnt that great imo, flight attendants were good. Bit of a bumpy ride but nothing crazy.
As for seats if I had to do it all over again, I would NOT pick any premium select bulkhead other than a bulkhead window seat. Id save a bunch of money and pick a comfort plus bulkhead seat which have a good amount of room or pick a PS window seat away from the front. I made the mistake of getting an aisle seat as I havent flown in a long time and forgot how much it sucks when you have broader shoulders

The PS bulkhead seats are much too close to the lavatories and galley. If you have a hard time sleeping on planes then definitely do not sit towards the front of the PS section. Also the PS seats are very comfortable on this long flight. Forgive me if this is a bit disjointed. I am still exhausted from all the travel

Here are some pics of the comfort plus bulkhead seats I took for @Cam300
IMG_5220.jpeg
IMG_5221.jpeg

Took the Delta flight from ATL-JNB last year, and I believe there were about 10 or so AH members on board. About the only complaint I have is that we were about 1 1/2 hrs late on departure. The flt was uneventful and got to JNB early. On the way back the crew was more pleasant, and we arrived in ATL almost an hour early. For me it's a no brainer since I live less than 2 hours from ATL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!