Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI lifetime, RMEF lifetime, OHA lifetime
Hunted
Namibia,South Africa, North America, Canada, Argentina, Costa Rica
Would like to know what you all think. Going on my third trip in a couple days. Have always done the hard bow case before and of course it goes to the police station in the J-burg airport and you play the waiting game. Never really had any major problems just the wait and having to go somewhere else. I know of alot of guy that use the rolling duffles and put there bows in them and they just come out on the carousel and off they go. Decided to try that this year. My bow is 42" long so my options were limited as far as rolling duffles go. Ended up getting 2 44" coleman mammoth rolling duffles. Weight isn't an issues is as both my wifes and mine are at around 45#. Deltas policy is that your bag can't be over 62 linear inches. These are 44"x 15"x 15" so I'm 12" over. Are they going to notice? I know it also depends on who checks you in. Kind of the luck of the draw. If they do call me on it do I then admit it's archery equipment. There policy says archery equipment must be in a durable protective container. Doesn't specifically say hard case. My duffle is ripstop nylon and I have padded the inside so imo this would qualify. Really don't want to get hit with a $175 oversize fee x 2 there and back. What do you think?

Not sure what to say? I guess they do overlook the gun cases being over the 62 inches. So they probably will over look the bow cases too. And since you are going as a couple you are probably going to get better service. You aren't over by much on the size...so my guess is you will be fine.

Have a great trip and post some pictures and stories when you get back.

Bonafide rifle cases seem to get a pass at the airport. Mine is over the 62" mark as well, an old SafTCase, and they dont give a second look. On a side note, I managed to get all the way to Joberg before a small scissors got noticed in my carry-on! They couldnt figure out what it was and waved me thru again! I put them in my checked for the trip home from Zim.

For future reference to any member traveling with a bow case to SA....

I have and SKB hard sided, double bow case. Mine also exceeds Delta's demensions by 12-14"... I've been to Jo'burg 4 times all with Delta... Never had an issue, and never been given a second look. Just make sure you declare the contents as archery equipment when you check in on this side. Some agents don't even know their own policy, and are not able to tell the difference between the gun/bow cases. You don't want them mis-marking your case as a firearm. It may end up in the firearms office in Jo'burg, and then you may have a hassle getting it out.

Also, your bow case will not come out at baggage claim on the main carousel. It will come out at the irregular/fragile baggage door located in the rear corner of the baggage claim area. If you have trouble locating it, you can ask an official airport information agent. There are usually always several of them floating around. ...

Delta charged me $75 each way last trip. Better ask first...

What a kick. SAA charged me $75 from Durban to Joburg, Delta nothing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DesmondU66

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross