Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Belgium, Scotland, Slovenia, South Africa, Zimbabwe
Hi all,

This is mostly directed to our European members, as I believe it improbable that our overseas friends have much experience with this bullet maker, or have even heard of him.

But who can tell me about their experiences with Degol bullets (from Wim Degol)? Especially in .500NE caliber softs and solids. Apparently Labour für Ballistik from Germany uses these for their commercial ammunition.

Looking forward to some feedback and comparison to other bullet makers perhaps.

I’m trying to find a good and cheap solution to highly performing .500NE ammunition for a sxs double rifle that will mostly be pointing towards elephant and buffalo.

Thanks and cheers!

V.

The best lead cored bullets in the business. They make tombac jacketed soft points & FMJ solids (slightly flattened at the point). My friend and former employee, Jabbar Mollah exclusively uses 410Gr Wim Degol bullets in his .425 Nitro Express Westley Richards Mauser. I've also used 900Gr FMJ solids (Labor Fur Ballistik factory loads) fired out of a .600 Nitro Express to hunt a hippopotamus bull on land.

Barring the rifling grooves and a very slight amount of riveting, the bullets looked at if they could be fired again. In my personal experience, the tombac jacket is no handicap compared to steel jacketed FMJ solids (as found on currently manufactured Hornady Dangerous Game Solid bullets).

The bullets from Degol are only comparable to those from Woodleigh, but in the majority of cases the bullets are stronger in terms of wall thickness and imho surely one of the best lead cored bullets for big bore cartridges nowadays. Unfortunately I have no experience with the cartridge 500 Nitro Express.

Contacting Mr. Degol is also easy. He recently made me by order FMJ bullets for the cartridge 11,2x72 Schüler. Not comparable to what Woodleigh had available for this cartridge until recently.

IMG_0001 (2).jpeg

Such recommendations from @Hunter-Habib and @grand veneur can only mean they must be very good. Thank you for your input!

I have exchanged a bit with Wim, who I asked about comparison to CEB or North Fork. He was not very fond of monometal bullets for older rifles or the need for a méplat. Rather pointing to Woodleigh as a comparison and 100 years of bullet design that works.

Have either of you experience with Wim’s solids in .416 caliber and up?

Last edited:
Such recommendations from @Hunter-Habib and @grand veneur can only mean they must be very good. Thank you for your input!

I have exchanged a bit with Wim, who I asked about comparison to CEB or North Fork. He was not very fond of monometal bullets for older rifles or the need for a méplat. Rather pointing to Woodleigh as a comparison and 100 years of bullet design that works.

Have either of you experience with Wim’s solids in .416 caliber and up?
Yes, VertigoBE. I used the 900Gr FMJ solids out of a .600 Nitro Express (Labor Fur Ballistik factory loads) for hunting a hippopotamus bull on land. Barring the rifling grooves and a very slight amount of riveting, the bullets looked at if they could be fired again. In my personal experience, the tombac jacket is no handicap compared to steel jacketed FMJ solids (as found on currently manufactured Hornady Dangerous Game Solid bullets).

Jabbar Mollah exclusily employs the Wim Degol 410Gr FMJ solid out of his .425 Westley Richards for hunting elephants on his African safaris. He thinks extremely highly of them, as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RaquelMart

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?