Definition of "Calibre"

Brad Hatfield

Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI Lifetime Member
I have a trip coming up in SA and working on gun permits, etc. So, as I understand it, SA allows you to bring no more than one rifle of the same "caliber" into SA. (but can bring multiple rifles so long as they are not the same "caliber")

So my question is: Is a 308 Winchester considered the same "caliber" as a 300Winchester Magnum? By that same token, would a 300 Weatherby or 300 H&H be consider the same "caliber" as a 300WSM or 300WM?

Thank you in advance for any information or guidance.

Dear Sir

Yes you can import more than one rifle of the same caliber into SA, you just also need to complete a motivational letter, please email me and I will forward you all the necessary documentation and application forms. Email henry@riflepermits.com

Kind regards
Henry

Brad Hatfield, I totally get the reason for your confusion. The term "caliber" has multiple definitions. Yours being the strictest i.e. bullet diameter. However at the same time "cartridge configuration" is also commonly referred to as caliber. Like rifle permits stated, for SAPS purposes a 308 and a 300 Win Mag are considered two different calibers. I support the idea of taking two rifles to Africa, one for smaller animals and one for the larger ones. Enjoy your hunt, it is about the most fun you can have with your britches on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you