Defence Force Accused Of 'Massive Cover-up' Over Anti-malarial Drug

I'm a pharmacist, but not an expert on malarial drugs, but after reading all that I could, we chose doxycycline.
My wife did not want it, she wanted to use something else because of a slight allergy to tetracyclines and erythromycins.
We took the doxy with us this year. She chose not to take anything, I took once daily.
If going to area with mosquitoes and ticks, I'd opt for doxycycline because it can cover both.
Only saw a few mosquitoes and that was at dusk.

We bought some permethrin clothes spray that is good for 5+ washings.
Used that and never saw a tick on us.

I have used doxy, and feel cheated. Most that use it had weird dreams they could remember, I never did. Side effects of doxy is your skin is more sensitive to sunlight so you will sunburn quicker and easier.

Worked with a bloke who had bad side effects from Doxy, couldn't sleep, so put him on larium, no side effects. Yet others I worked with had been on larium and had mild to server side effects. It sent 2 diggers in East Timor tropo and they shot others. For me I will stay with doxy.
That's pretty much the opposite of most experience. Its Larium that causes a lot of issues and Doxy hardly any other the sunburn. I have had Larium and did have a bad experience with it, and no issues with Doxy. Its an anti biotic and is highly unlikey to cause the issue of dreams etc., that's the main complaint about Larium.

That's pretty much the opposite of most experience. Its Larium that causes a lot of issues and Doxy hardly any other the sunburn. I have had Larium and did have a bad experience with it, and no issues with Doxy. Its an anti biotic and is highly unlikey to cause the issue of dreams etc., that's the main complaint about Larium.

Not my experience re Doxy. Most of those ( Over my time in Malaria country that would have been over 1000 people) that were on it reported remembering weird dreams. Yes, Larium has a history of causing mental health issues.

Just read a study that of over 78000 people on doxy, 50 reported nightmares. Read another study of what sounded like service people complaining of vivid dreams, especially while taking something else. Any drug, especially when combined with others, can cause any number of side effects, but I don't think one can equate a known problem drug like Larium with a simple anti biotic and say both cause vivid dreams to the same extent in and of themselves. Apples and oranges. I have had both and will never get near Larium again, doxy is no problem.

Doximal or any 100mg Doxycycline, no side effects or negative long time use issues. Does not interfere with malaria test.

Safest and best option.

I wonder if the folks down under get the same product we in the states do? I just read the 2 page sheet that came with my recent doxy order and there is ZERO mention of sleep, mental or dream issues among the myriad other potential side effects.

I wonder if the folks down under get the same product we in the states do? I just read the 2 page sheet that came with my recent doxy order and there is ZERO mention of sleep, mental or dream issues among the myriad other potential side effects.

I would say it is the same main ingredients. However I did feel a bit lethargic on one brand of Doxy and not on another. Only difference I could see was the colour but no idea what binding agents etc are used. Non of the people I knew spoke of nightmares on Doxy just weird dreams. We all dream but do not normally remember our dreams. So what I took out of their conversations were, they remembered the dream. The Doc's and people involved put this down to the Doxy. I can only go of what I saw and was told.

Of all the anti malaria medications I prefer Doxy. To me it is the simplest and safest.

Reactions: IvW

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KathrinMcG

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!