Deer hunting with a .458 Win Mag

The only thing I might add here is that while it did not tear the deer up too bad meat wise the shock popped a few stomachs on them without contact from the bullet. (our deer are small does are about 100-120lbs) I was using 400 and 500 grain Trophy bonded bear claws, for the sole purpose of practicing for my trip in june.

Go for it. I'm using a 375H&H because tracking a deer I shot is for the young. I expect your results will be the same.

@Hillbilly Marine
Those rampant watermelons are a real bitch they seek up on you without you knowing about it. I found the 22lr didn't affect them at all. I'm glad you are having success on them with the 458. Where the melons sunning themselves or in a full on charge.
Ha ha ha ha ha
Bob
Bob, I had a watermelon vine come up by accident and I didn't pay any attention and let them go bad before I got them picked. I sneaked up on them and got them from up close. Two quick shots and I got the two largest ones. 400 Grains of .416 at 2400 fps is great watermelon medicine. Cantaloupes are taken better with .270 Winchester because velocity really shows up on the softer flesh. :)

I once head shot a Pronghorn doe with a 458. The reason is lost on me now. It wasn’t yesterday. Seemed like a good idea at the time. It utterly ruined all of that good head meat! :p I think you’ll enjoy hunting with yours and it’s great practice.

Bob, I had a watermelon vine come up by accident and I didn't pay any attention and let them go bad before I got them picked. I sneaked up on them and got them from up close. Two quick shots and I got the two largest ones. 400 Grains of .416 at 2400 fps is great watermelon medicine. Cantaloupes are taken better with .270 Winchester because velocity really shows up on the softer flesh. :)
@Hillbilly Marine
Thank God you didn't have a 243. That would have struggled on a rabid strawberry. That's why I don't even use it one field mice, I regard them as the upper limit of game for that cartridge.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg