Deer charge stopped by .500/.416 Double

sureshot375

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Ok, well maybe it wasn’t charging, but he did grunt at me in a very threatening manner and walked in my general direction.

I didn’t have anywhere to be Thanksgiving until 5:00 that evening. I slept in late, but decided to go to the hunting lease and walk around. I thought maybe I could stalk up on some pigs bedded down in the sun. My girlfriend who is not really a hunter yet came along with me. It’s been about 3 years since I’ve been to Africa which is entirely too long. I decided to take out the Krieghoff double. I mean hogs are kind of like miniature practice elephants right?

We get to the hunting lease. I pick a line with good wind and we head off. My non hunting girlfriend did surprisingly well at walking quietly. She said to me as we started out “Are we actually going to shoot anything like this.” I told her it was a low probability of success, but it had worked before.

After about 20 minutes stalking we come across a buck just ahead of us through the brush. I expected the buck to bolt, but he just stood there. I whisper to my girlfriend to get the video going on her phone. She starts filming as the buck grunts and starts walking at me.

With two people, standing that close, fumbling around to video, the deer had to know we were there. The deer grunted a few times then started walking towards me. I raised the rifle a put the bead right between the eyes.

The first video is the shot. The second video is the recovery with about two minutes of me rambling about what had just happened. I hope you guys get a kick out of.

Good thing you had your double for that charge nice going!

That is one of the more bizarre things I have ever seen with a whitetail. Glad it worked out.

Glad you are still with us! Tell your videographer she has nerves of steel! Lol. Well done on some thanksgiving venison!
Cheers,
Cody

Ok, well maybe it wasn’t charging, but he did grunt at me in a very threatening manner and walked in my general direction.

I didn’t have anywhere to be Thanksgiving until 5:00 that evening. I slept in late, but decided to go to the hunting lease and walk around. I thought maybe I could stalk up on some pigs bedded down in the sun. My girlfriend who is not really a hunter yet came along with me. It’s been about 3 years since I’ve been to Africa which is entirely too long. I decided to take out the Krieghoff double. I mean hogs are kind of like miniature practice elephants right?

We get to the hunting lease. I pick a line with good wind and we head off. My non hunting girlfriend did surprisingly well at walking quietly. She said to me as we started out “Are we actually going to shoot anything like this.” I told her it was a low probability of success, but it had worked before.

After about 20 minutes stalking we come across a buck just ahead of us through the brush. I expected the buck to bolt, but he just stood there. I whisper to my girlfriend to get the video going on her phone. She starts filming as the buck grunts and starts walking at me.

With two people, standing that close, fumbling around to video, the deer had to know we were there. The deer grunted a few times then started walking towards me. I raised the rifle a put the bead right between the eyes.

The first video is the shot. The second video is the recovery with about two minutes of me rambling about what had just happened. I hope you guys get a kick out of.

Sureshot 375.
Man your one lucky SOB if you look closely at the video his eyes were mean and definitely ready to charge. Thankfully you had t h e double to dispatch that beast. With the nerve your film maker has under such stress, you should take her on a less stressful hunt, something like a charging lion.
Seriously well done plenty of meat for the freezer.
Cheers mate Bob
PS that was even more frightening than the time I got charged by a rabid rabbit.

Sureshot 375.
Man your one lucky SOB if you look closely at the video his eyes were mean and definitely ready to charge. Thankfully you had t h e double to dispatch that beast. With the nerve your film maker has under such stress, you should take her on a less stressful hunt, something like a charging lion.
Seriously well done plenty of meat for the freezer.
Cheers mate Bob
PS that was even more frightening than the time I got charged by a rabid rabbit.

I’ve seen Monty Python. I know how tricky those rabbits can be!!

That is one of the more bizarre things I have ever seen with a whitetail. Glad it worked out.

I think he was just rutted up. I’ve certainly never seen anything like that before. Honestly I shot him because I thought there might be something wrong with him. I debated whether to eat him, but there was nothing visibly wrong with him, so he became sausage.

Glad you are still with us! Tell your videographer she has nerves of steel! Lol. Well done on some thanksgiving venison!
Cheers,
Cody

I’ll tell her she has received lots of compliments on her video skills and bravery. I’m starting to thing she might be a keeper. She did help me drag it out.

In the U.S., more hunters have been injured by “not so dead” whitetail bucks, than any other game animal. An older gentleman was killed last November by an undead buck somewhere here in the South. It made the national news? “Use Enough Gun”! Ha! Ha!

I’ll tell her she has received lots of compliments on her video skills and bravery. I’m starting to thing she might be a keeper. She did help me drag it out.
Sureshot 375
Did she help with the skinning and sausages.
Definitely a keeper mate even if she didn't.
Cheers
Bob

Well that aughta do it lol. I’ve shot does with my 375 so I can’t say much.

Sir you two were lucky to escape with your lives. That beast was sure to stomp both of you. Great shooting!

Almost as bad as the bunny...and vicious I tell you.

Thank god you’re ok. I would recommend a stopper caliber, maybe .500 or .600 nitro, if you’re going to continue hunting dangerous game like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross