Gold supporter
AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
rsa, Namibia
First, let me say that I might have a very different view of this if I had more money. And I realize many people that visit this site have a lot more money than I do, so I don’t expect everyone to agree with me. But I believe the process of shipping trophies to the US from Africa has a negative impact on trophy hunting in Africa. It has become too frustrating and expensive for me. I have only hunted in Africa 5 times, so I am not a leading expert on this, but it’s only taken 4 times for it to have a negative impact on me.

2 days ago I received my crate from a trip to South Africa in May of 2021. Today I received a final statement for the cost. We waited months to get them on a plane. Finally they suggested we put them on a ship. Then we waited months to get them on a ship. I was actually thrilled when I saw the price for ocean shipping. Then we waited weeks while they sat in Houston. Then I got the final bill for getting them from the port to my house. There went my savings. $900 of the bill was for customs exam and warehouse fees. And they were shipped from Houston without even consulting me about cost, so there’s nothing I can really do about it now. (Can I?) And I used a well-known customs broker. That’s 15 months and $3000 for 6 plains game skull mounts of which 2 were management animals. (And that doesn’t count the $1500 for taxidermy fees, crating, etc.) And truthfully, I know it could have been a lot higher than $3000, but that is still too much, especially when added to the frustration of being at the mercy of all the entities in the shipping process and the feeling that you have no control in the matter.

2021 was an incredible trip that I would love to do every year, but my frustration over shipping has lead me to plan 2 years of cull hunts before my next trophy hunt. I get most of the Africa experience without the cost and frustration of shipping. I didn’t bring trophies back from this year’s hunt and will not bring anything back next year. I still plan to go to Africa every year, but I no longer plan to trophy hunt every trip. Cull hunt 2 and trophy hunt every third year. Maybe most do not feel as I do, but it seems if let’s say 10% of hunters do, that’s a lot of trophy hunting Africa is missing out on. Hunters doing fewer trophy hunts, and those of us with limited budgets taking fewer trophies to cover the costs of shipping.

What’s the answer? I talked to my ph/outfitter about this on my 2021 hunt. He said if it were him, he’d just come for the experience and take good pictures and leave the trophies in Africa. I don’t think I’m quite to that point yet.

Am I just crazy and looking at this entirely wrong?

We went for first time this year. We heavily weighed options on photos vs taxidermy. We did both and currently have books and large photos of the hunt and may see taxidermy 1.5 years from now. In the future it will take a lot for me to bring taxi back. If i had no taxidermy already i may feel different but im happy with what we shot and the heads on the wall should cover me for the foreseable future for africa. The one Kudu will be able to remind us of Africa and the experience regardless of if it was from our first trip or our 5th trip.

Nope. Not crazy. The outfitter is right. Put in the effort getting good pics for the 8 x 10 glossies. Hunt more.

There's only one animal remaining that I will even consider going through the trials and travails of shipping back across the pond and that's a truly jaw dropping Sable.

I dont think youre looking at things entirely wrong..

I think you're correct in understanding that money is a relative item that is a completely different factor in each persons safari equation.. for some, the insanely rising costs associated with shipping (most of which are completely out of control of the outfitter, taxidermist, and even your broker) doesn't matter at all... and for others it might be the determining factor in whether or not the hunter takes any trophies or even goes on a hunt at all...

Costs are definitely rising.. and I don't see that changing any time in the near future.. the global economy is in disarray.. interest rates are sky rocketing.. supply chains are still out of whack.. labor rates are increasing.. etc.. all of which are going to continue to push costs, and thereby prices up on just about everything from the airline tickets you have to buy to the taxidermy you want on the back end.. and everything in between... even the cost of the "little" things like ammo, a new pair of boots, etc.. add up when you start looking at the total cost of an international hunt..

For us.. as far as the taxidermy is concerned.. we're just about at the point where photos make the most sense.. not because of costs.. but because of space...

Im in a reasonably sized home with very high ceilings (20' in the main living space).. and we're just about out of room.. I think everyone that does a good amount of hunting and enjoys taxidermy ultimately ends up there and has to start being much more selective about what becomes a mount vs what makes it into a coffee table picture book after you come back home..

We've got 9 more mounts (mostly euros) headed our way from our 2022 hunt.. and I am sure if we are fortunate enough to connect on a couple of good sika in Ireland later this year they will end up in a taxidermists shop as well... but after that.. unless something truly world class and special is taken... Im pretty sure we're done...

When the master bedroom has also become a trophy room and you already have 8 sets of eyes staring at you all night (not to mention 2 rugs on the floor).. you know you've run out of space lol... (the office is also full.. there are mounts in the den.. mounts in the spare bedroom.. mounts in the game room.. etc..etc..)

There have been many threads on this topic. You should read them all. You can pick your stuff up for the tannery and/or from the customs broker directly and save a bit on the final transport. You did well by ocean freight. The warehousing seems a bit of a scam these days (as my stuff was typically cleared within a couple-few days, avoiding any significant add'l. fees.) At least you got your stuff back. 'Sounds a bit high for Euros, and finished taxidermy products. It is my understanding that finished products can simply be shipped sans a lot of the BS (F&WS inspections, etc.) $500/euro mount? ?? ??? I think you should make adjustments on either end next time! Have the cleaned skulls shipped home (ocean), pick them up yourself and deliver to the taxidermist. What's a good euro mount today in the US? $200? My guy does the beetle cleaning/whitening himself ($80) then you pick the panel, etc. $180 is about right for the basics. If not skull mounts, have them cut the skull cap off (properly) in country and further cut down the weight/volume. No one is going to make it cheaper for you unless you intervene prior to each step...They're not really concerned about You. lol It's a racket.

The amount of money I’ve spent getting trophies home really shocks me, but there wasn’t any trophies at the time I was willing to leave. There are some now I wish I had just saved the money for a different hunt. I have combined shipments for return hunts on different years to save money. Have you considered planning two hunts around one trophy shipment? Cull hunting is more shooting than hunting to me. I can’t bring myself to go that direction over shipping costs. I’d be more likely to take photos and leave trophies there if it gets to that point.

We only went once, enjoyed it. Was on the fence about mounts or euros. Wife and son talked me into the mounts. Hind sight it is what it is. I think from here on out it will have to be something exceptional before I'll consider mounting it. Taxidermy adds up quickly and I would rather build the memory then have animals hanging on the wall.

If/when I go again, it will be photos only. The shipping and taxi really adds up and adds a lot of potential logistical issues to the whole thing.
And I dont ever want to deal with USFWS again, ever!
Besides I dont really have any room for more heads and they end up on a nail in the garage/shop!

At some point, if we keep hunting, we get to the point that there is no room for more trophies. That is, by the way, essentially an economic decision for everyone - whether cost of shipment and taxidermy or building an addition on the house.

Another little secret - we can't take them with us and none of us are getting out of here alive anyway. For the vast majority of our prospective heirs, a bunch of granddad's dead animals probably isn't going to be a welcome inheritance.

I have very few things mounted these days. Photographs are a great way to remember a hunt, and it is just possible that a grandchild will appreciate a photo journal of one of our adventures far more than a ratty shoulder mount moldering on the wall. Once you don't bring home the first fill in the blank, you will be amazed how easy it is to leave most of them behind. And it certainly beats giving up hunting.

It would definitely be cheaper to download some sort of app on your phone that would enable scanning of the horns and/or skulls in the field and printing on a 3d printer upon return. From there to an artist to paint and then onto the taxidermist with a replacement cape.

I want to make an addendum to my post.
I went back and read my post. I mentioned I used a well-known customs broker, and it sounds like I was putting a lot of the blame on him. That was very poor wording on my part. Tom Kelly at Trophy Shippers was in fact the only person in the whole process who did exactly what he was supposed to do (and then some), when he was supposed to, for the fee we agreed upon before I ever left for Africa.

If there was a “Tom Kelly” at every step, I suspect there would be a lot less frustration in the process.

I have a Buffalo skull in Africa now. I suspect that will be my last shipment over the pond. 3 more safaris scheduled with no plans of taxidermy at all. That said, my trophy room is full. Suspect that didn’t provide any clarification at all!

At some point, if we keep hunting, we get to the point that there is no room for more trophies. That is, by the way, essentially an economic decision for everyone - whether cost of shipment and taxidermy or building an addition on the house.

Another little secret - we can't take them with us and none of us are getting out of here alive anyway. For the vast majority of our prospective heirs, a bunch of granddad's dead animals probably isn't going to be a welcome inheritance.

I have very few things mounted these days. Photographs are a great way to remember a hunt, and it is just possible that a grandchild will appreciate a photo journal of one of our adventures far more than a ratty shoulder mount moldering on the wall. Once you don't bring home the first fill in the blank, you will be amazed how easy it is to leave most of them behind. And it certainly beats giving up hunting.
THIS ^^^^^

I don’t see why you can’t bring Euro mounts home with you. I guess it’s just a money grab.

As has been said about photos, they sit in a book that might be opened every now and then to relive the hunt. I walk past my mounts and remember it every day.

But back to the cost, it is just one thing that you need to figure into the hunt. I'm having two extra mounts done from my hunt in June and the planned for euros. But after I got home and thought about it I should of done a couple more shoulder mounts when I compared the price difference for a shoulder mount vrs a euro.

Hanging trophies on the wall is a personal preference, I like them but some don't. I know one person who has shot B&C elk and deer but he has nothing on his walls. As to not being able to take them with you, I have them for my enjoyment and not for those who are going to squabble over what I had when I am gone.

I don’t see why you can’t bring Euro mounts home with you. I guess it’s just a money grab.
Time frame.

Do you plan on staying a couple extra weeks to get the euro mounts done? Or trying to find someplace that you can do them yourself?

I just got my stuff back from 2021 Safari , and after the shipping and the mounts I’m ashamed to say it will be north of $20k. Scared the absolute crap out of me, and makes me question why. Don’t get me wrong, I love to look at the mounts, but pictures go a long way with 20k

It was a Safari with my wife and two kids and I committed to it long before COVID, but didn’t think prices had gone up as much as they ended up going up. In 2017 everything was around 8-9k and it was about the same sized crates and number of mounts .

I believe I have 4-5 more african animals I feel like I really want to mount, and that’s it on big taxidermy safaris for the rest of my life. 1 deer or stag or sheep or whatever isn’t bad, and hell you can pay for the hunt with the taxi.

Yikes! That’s gonna leave a mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.