Declaring Us Currency in South Africa

On two trips for DG: Zimbabwe and Mozambique. I only took about $2,000 cash each time split evenly between my wife's money belt and my money belt. I used that to cover tips to staff at the camp and transitioning through Joberg as well as staff at our hotel in Maputo.

The tip for the PH was done via final payment to the outfitter along with any additional trophy fees. In 2011 in Zimbabwe I wired final payment the day after I arrived home. In 2016 in Mozambique, the outfitter had wireless available in camp and I wired final payment my last day in camp.

I can only speak about Zimbabwe, but I would like to say this.

Be sure when you enter Zimbabwe that you declare whatever cash that you are bringing with you, for two reasons.

1. Upon departure if you have more cash than what you declared upon entry (or maybe you declared nothing) you may be subject to confiscation.

2. If you pay your outfitter in cash for all or part of your hunt he will need a copy of your declaration form.

I do believe that in the states if you leave with $10,000.00 or more it will be noted in "one or more agency files". More or less like a U.S. citizen going to Cuba! How subversive can you get!

As others have posted, no way in hell would I carry that much cash to Africa. Same goes for any family members. I went to a bank in Blomfontein and changed $3500 U.S. in to rand and was sweating bullets just walking from the truck to the security vestibule. They were only letting one person at a time out of the bank and I got stuck in it when exiting. The security guard entered the wrong code into the key pad. There were multiple armed guards near the entrance.
Carrying that much cash, one might as well just hang a sign around their neck saying "Rob me". Take what you can afford to hang out the window and let it blow out of your hands. Pay for the remainder with credit cards and wire transfers.

Edit: With that much cash declared going international, rest assured on return to the U.S. you, your bags, your underwear and anything else connected with you will be searched. Too bad if you have a short connection.

Also one bit of advise that I was given, if you go to a ATM do not do it alone. Make sure that there are a couple of people from your group with you to cover your rear end.

If you work things out with your outfitter in advance you shouldn’t need that much cash.

when I went last month we didn’t even go through customs. They had the things to declare side closed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you