Deciding what to hunt in South Africa

That's mostly the job of the PH. You can't expect a first time African hunter to size up any of the animals, even after looking at pictures of mature animals.

Likewise I wouldn't expect a PH to size up a Rocky Mountain elk or a mule deer on their first couple of trips to hunt them. Where I can size them up quite quickl
What ever you say. Then I suppose an ignorant client is a happy client. :) Why in the world would anyone discourage someone from study and research of the game they will be hunting?

We have all overlooked one fantastic opportunity, after dinner one evening (or 2) ask about a springhare hunt with all the ph's in camp. Helluva lot of fun
Night hunting for jackals is a great time as well

My first trip to RSA came about by buying a package at a benefit auction for Wounded Warriors. The package included Impala, Blesbok, Gemsbok, Blue Wildebeest, and Warthog. I knew going that I would hunt Kudu as well.

I had the opportunity to meet my PH prior to going to Africa and he recommended setting aside some money for animals that might present themselves while hunting that I had not planned on. GREAT ADVICE!

While on a stalk for a Mountain Reedbok my friend wanted I spotted a Waterbuck in the valley below that was truly a once in a lifetime trophy. He is on my wall. The other unplanned animal I took was a Sable “on special”. He was a magnificent old monarch who my PH wanted removed from the herd. A good trophy that would have been way over my budget otherwise.

Take what Africa gives you. You will not regret it. The cost will fade quickly but the memories of your first Safari wii live forever.

For just 3: Impala, Springbok and Kudu.

$250 for a baboon, not a chance, most places give them away for free.

Welcome!

First of all, what is your budget roughly? That’ll dictate your options a little more. Be upfront with your PH, tell him your budget. He might find some culls you can tack on pretty reasonably.

You could do Duiker, Jackal, Baboon, and Warthog for $1000-1500 a lot of places. Could even sub out one or two for Springbok, or Blesbok and be in the same ballpark or shoot a couple culls. You could also ask about a blue wildebeest cow and do a rug.

Now if your budget is a little more, I’d be looking at something between Blue Wildebeest, Zebra, Kudu, Bushbuck. Bushbuck has been one of my favorite hunts.

We just got back.

On a budget: Impala, blesbok, springbok, and warthog

Definitely worth adding for a little more: blue wildebeest, zebra, gemsbok

However, if you want to add just one animal that you won't regret that is a little more expensive: Kudu

I was going to add a wildebeest or gemsbok. Once I saw a kudu I knew I was going with that instead. After I took a kudu I ended up taking a blue wildebeest (my wife surprised me by offering to pay for it). I am completely happy. You can't go wrong with the aforementioned animals.

Just note the warthog and anything primate will have extra steps involved to bring back home. We were surprised to find this out.

Limpopo is not natural area for many species mentioned here so I am a bit confused that they are even mentioned......springbuck, blackwildebeest, blesbuck etc......

From the OP post.....impala is included...
I would add Kudu, Bluewildebeest and a big Warthog.....

Eland
Blue Wildebeest
Impala (since you have to choose it, anyway)
Kudu

Last edited:
One more thing I try and do is hunt animals indigenous to the area, for this I use “Game Animals of the World” and “African Species and Subspecies“ for references, not 100% on the titles but they’re pretty close. Not terribly interested in hunting something that never existed in the area, or at least pretty close to that area.

If you want to hunt for all eight Days of your safari add Kudu and Eland.

Welcome!

First of all, what is your budget roughly? That’ll dictate your options a little more. Be upfront with your PH, tell him your budget. He might find some culls you can tack on pretty reasonably.

You could do Duiker, Jackal, Baboon, and Warthog for $1000-1500 a lot of places. Could even sub out one or two for Springbok, or Blesbok and be in the same ballpark or shoot a couple culls. You could also ask about a blue wildebeest cow and do a rug.

Now if your budget is a little more, I’d be looking at something between Blue Wildebeest, Zebra, Kudu, Bushbuck. Bushbuck has been one of my favorite hunts.
Looking to take about 4 animals. Have roughly 4-5K to spend max

Looking to take about 4 animals. Have roughly 4-5K to spend max
That should buy you a kudu, springbuck, impala, and blesbuck for sure. The latter four are typically cheap trophy fees. Kudu can run $1500-$2000. If the outfit wants more than that, shop for another lodge. Look for package deals on those animals that includes PH daily rate, lodge fees, taxes. When I went over the first time in 2019 I found a package deal for less than $3K that included kudu, gemsbuck, springbuck, impala, blesbuck. Additionally I took blue wildebeest, warthog, and management buffalo.

If you're talking strictly animals, in ranked order:

#1 Impala - $0
#2 Kudu - $2000-$2300
#3 Wildebeest/Zebra - $900 - $1100
#4 Warthog/Blesbok - $400 - $500
#5 Springbok - $400 - $500

That gets you in the neighborhood. Everything on the list is RSA native (depending what section you're hunting). You could swap out the wildebeest/zebra for a gemsbok and they are usually similar priced. Gemsbok is not in fact true RSA native though. Been there for ever but not their original range. I put either blesbok or warthog. The blesbok is a great starter animal. Warthog is a little more iconic-Africa but it's a touch more hassle getting trophies state-side.

It would be helpful to know the outfitter and their pricelist. Also have a convo with the operation. I just happened to ask the price of an animal and they gave me a discount.

I prefer to do the spiral horn hunt with a warthog and Impala added for good measure. These are some of the best-looking mounts in Limpopo!

SPIRAL HORN PACKAGE

Eland (big body, impressive mount, and challenging hunt)
Kudu (grey ghost and also very challenging)
Nyala (one of the most beautiful animals in SA)
Limpopo Bushbuck (very exciting and challenging hunt)

Good Hunting!

Don't be afraid to ask for cull or management animals. After several trips to Africa, if I am taking a plains game hunt, I tend to add on this type of animal so I can keep hunting. If you get your animals quicker than anticipated, take along a book to read, that's generally enjoyable too.

Appreciate everyone's thoughts. Decided I'll probably hunt a nyala along with the impala I already get in the package. I'm limited on wall space (wife only allows taxidermy in my office lol) and I think a nyala will make a beautiful but not too big of a mount. I'm open minded on my other two animals I decided to hunt and will decide once I get to see animals in person. I do think a bushbuck hunt looks like great fun after watching videos!

You can’t go wrong with nyala and bushbuck, they make a great combo pedestal mount as well. IMO
100% agree. They do go together and they take up very little space. These are two of my favorite animals and some of the only animals I would hunt again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg