Decent quality and functional money belt?

Trogon

Gold supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Eastern Cape, SA; KY, OH, IN, WI, AL, KS, ND, TX-USA
I wasn't sure where to post this question, so am trying here.
Last year I used a zippered nylon belt on safari that started losing stitching integrity after a few days. Any suggestions are appreciated for my trip this summer for what you've used and been satisfied with, and also any choices for carrying tip money. I've not been much of international traveler to date. Thanks in advance.

I'd say it depends on how much you really want to carry. A true money belt, that is a functional belt with a zippered inner pocket is only really good for a few folded bills. More likely to be used for emergency cash instead of tip money.

My wife and I have used something like this to be worn under a shirt for important documents and cash. I have taken off any metal to get though metal detectors, but the new x-rays TSA are using will see them.
1652516720134.png

Thanks @BeeMaa. Does this utilize a belt to carry it on your person?

There is an elastic belt that attaches with the QD clip on the right side of the picture. Do an Amazon search for "money belt for travel". Lots of options.

There is an elastic belt that attaches with the QD clip on the right side of the picture. Do an Amazon search for "money belt for travel". Lots of options.
Thank you, much appreciated!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 6.38.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 6.38.20 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 49
  • Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 6.38.20 AM 1.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 6.38.20 AM 1.png
    731.3 KB · Views: 45
I just bought one of these for my safari in October. Its no gun belt level of quality but it seems like it should be good enough for the trip and casual use

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 6.39.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 6.39.05 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 48
  • Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 6.39.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 6.39.07 AM.png
    639.2 KB · Views: 49
Samsonite makes a nylon pouch which you carry inside your waisband.

I have a belt that my wife got from Amazon, no metal and marketed as metal detector safe but i always put it through with other carry ons. It holds up to 40 bills so I take that in 100’s. It’s green nylon with plastic buckles of which they sent an extra. They must not have confidence in it but no troubles in 4 overseas trips. If need be I can send a picture later. I always keep some cash in my wallet as well.

Im trying to discern and/or understand the need for a money belt for a typical hunt in Africa (1-3 weeks? where the vast majority of the time will be spent in the bush/in camp)..

Not saying there isnt a legitimate need.. just asking what is the need that you guys perceive?

For me.. I rarely carry more than 2 to 3 grand in cash (enough for tips, and maybe a few curios, etc).. assume you go with the "10%" idea on tips.. thats plenty to cover a pretty big hunt and still leave a little over at the end of it all.. Typically all of the major costs are covered either ahead of time, or after the hunt, and are done by check, wire, credit card, etc...

A couple of grand is pretty easy to keep on my person, securely, while in transit without a money belt (typically I keep it in an envelope, along with my passport, etc folded up and secured in a buttoned up cargo pocket in my pants... and once in camp, Im not too terribly worried about it.. I'll transfer that envelope over to a pocket on my pack.. and not bother seeing it again until its time to square up with everyone at the end..

As a rule Im a fairly security-conscious kinda guy.. former soldier.. former cop.... former director of a fairly high-profile personal protective detail.. ran a global security program for a large business... have done security consulting work for a couple of fortune 50 firms over the years.. etc..etc.. and I've spent a significant amount of time in many of the worlds less than friendly places (both at home, and abroad).. but never really seen a practical purpose for a money belt...

I do understand the concept and the thought behind them.. I just have never seen where they are the best solution for any given problem.. and in many situations find them to be a detriment (the trade off for security vs convenience vs ready access vs vs vs vs... doesnt seem to balance (for me))...

El Paso Saddlery will put a zipper on the inside of any of their belts. High quality at a reasonable price. I used to wear one all the time. It contained my "get out of trouble" funds. :D

I'm planning on taking a bunch of cash with me in July, it adds up quick when you start figuring cash for tips, additional animals, souvenirs, airport food, and in my case the balance on my hunt. Pretty soon you're taking several thousand dollars so I can see the need for a belt. I've got a locking zippered money pouch that I plan to use but it doesn't go on your body, just in my carry on which would be with me at all times. I'm thinking about a belt too just to split some of it up.

I have a belt that my wife got from Amazon, no metal and marketed as metal detector safe but i always put it through with other carry ons. It holds up to 40 bills so I take that in 100’s. It’s green nylon with plastic buckles of which they sent an extra. They must not have confidence in it but no troubles in 4 overseas trips. If need be I can send a picture later. I always keep some cash in my wallet as well.
That sounds like a good one if it holds four grand!! Please send a picture when you get a chance. Thanks!

I have a couple of these, work and look great.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 6.38.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 6.38.27 AM.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 30
Sort guys, having technical issues (me) with the pictures. Thought it was my home internet connection but it’s the same up on the farm this morning. Will try again later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SylviaSelf

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!