Death on the Gold Coast

hound_hunter

AH member
Reaction score
Other than Santa Rosa Island, Hunting in California is something I knew very little about until 3 or 4 years ago. The opportunities there are great though! I finally watched this DVD yesterday and overall I was pretty impressed. The editing, as with most all Big Bore Production's videos, was very good. But the footage captured on the video is remarkable. Majority of the hunts were following Mark Buchanan. He took 2 elk inland in California, and a third on Santa Rosa Island (completing his grand slam of California elk) as well as several deer hunts on the island. I think we can all remember some time in our life when we have dreamed of seeing first hand what roams that sacred ground, probably me more than others. Having not been there myself I guess I can't really say for sure, but I think this video definitely does the island justice. There's nothing like seeing groups of 20 or more monster trophy class Mule deer running along the California coastline with the waves of the pacific crashing at their hooves. Pretty impressive for sure. The only thing that really bothered me about the video was Mark Buchanan's shot accuracy. Majority, if not all, of his shots were very poorly placed. Maybe it's just my being a U.S. Marine, but his terrible accuracy and poor choice in choosing when to take the shots bothered me a bit. I'm still glad to have this video in my collection for sure.

Has anyone else watched this DVD? Lets hear what you thought about it.

Although I am a huge Big Bore video fan, this video is my least favorite of all of their offerings. It is superbly shot and the animal quality is great, but the hunting was too docile for me. That isn't Mark's fault, but rather a condition that man made by stocking the animals on Santa Rosa. Great views on this video, though. You can buy all of the Big Bore videos as well as all of the higher-quality hunting videos from around the world from my friends at Outdoor Visions (Big Game Hunting DVDs - 400+ Titles - Outdoor Visions Worldwide Hunting Adventure Films on DVD and Video). Mr. Bob will take great care of you and your video and hunting book needs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinayzi

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you