Dear Abby, a good friend is offering my blinds to friends, should I shoot him?

What to do when a friend lets friends use YOUR blind?

• Hire a mediator

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Oh man I’m getting angry just reading this! Some guys have a lot of balls to make a move like that, or he’s just not that bright. To invite someone to use your blind without asking you? And when he knows your kid hasn’t gotten his turkey yet? Holy fak I would lose my nut!
What’s next...he gonna take a friend fishing in your boat without asking??? You, Mr. Pheroze, are a much kinder and patient person than I am! I hope your boy gets the biggest longbeard on the property!

ou, Mr. Pheroze, are a much kinder and patient person than I am! I hope your boy gets the biggest longbeard on the property!
Me too. He is a developing bow hunter, and if he can pull this off it will be an awesome boost for him.

You can say, Yeah, its' O.K. but here's a list of things you need to do before you can hunt. Fix the fence on the back 40, split the wood behind the cabin, mow the lawn, etc, etc. Keep him so busy with the chores he won't have time to get into your stand. Or just use the best Dear Abby return, and say "Did you just ask to use my hunting blind? " and when they say yes, then respond, "I thought that's what you asked!!!"
I just had a man ask to return to my place to hunt after I donated a hunt last year. I told him my grandsons were beginning to hunt and I didn't have any availability.
It takes a pair of brass ones to invite yourself.

Apologies to the O.P - I didn't realize this wasn't your own property. Probably a different response would be better.

Last edited:
i have a great area to hunt, being a very good friend to the land owner for close to 45 years and can hunt their any time and keep one of my four wheelers on the farm. and i don,t take any one with me unless i ask him if its ok. and that only happened three or four times. for being able to hunt and enjoy four wheeling their and i help on the farm any time i am needed and am ready to assist him with loading supplies- firearm parts(scope-magizine ect.)

DSCN0030 (2).JPG
DSCN0488 (4).JPG
DSCN1261 (2).JPG
DSCN9443 (2).JPG
DSCN9555 (3).JPG
DSCN0585 (2).JPG
DSCN0312.JPG
DSCN9632 (3).JPG
DSCN1118 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Your friend is a Dick and Dick is a Turkey.

A little communication and we could have been reading a hunting report instead.

I don't know anything about Turkey hunting or hunting in the USA.

But it's not right in principle. They could have asked.

A couple questions to help me process before giving my opinion.....
Does Dick have direct permission himself from the landowner to hunt there?
Do you know Dick's turkey hunting buddy? If so, how well?

How would I roll? Well.......Dick is well named and is now an ex-hunting friend. I’d still be social elsewhere if I had to, but he be out of the hunting buddy club pronto. I may be related to Brickburn.

A couple questions to help me process before giving my opinion.....
Does Dick have direct permission himself from the landowner to hunt there?
Do you know Dick's turkey hunting buddy? If so, how well?
Dick does not hunt the farm but he does help out the owner with some chores.

I met the friend last fall when Dick invited him to our camp. He's a good guy and Dick wants to include him a lot. I like him but don't really know him. I actually think the issue is Dick trying overly hard to include this guy, and it's not at the request of the friend himself.

The friend hunts with other guys usually in the fall. Its just last year his trip fell apart and Dick had him come with us. Come to think of it, I don't believe the friend has invited Dick anywhere.

Sleeping with Dick’s wife while he is off at hunting camp this fall is really the only reasonable solution.
Sure, may want to use a surrogate? Need to establish visual contact to judge the trophy before one decides on the correct approach in these matters.

I’d play the long game and think multiple years in the future. Start with kindness and an open conversation to make things clear to all parties what kind of hunting ethic you are promoting and how to properly hunt. Sharing space may end up a requirement, so not burning bridges is crucial.
Either this guy is clueless, or greedy. The former is correctable. The latter, if true, is unfortunate and will breed worse problems.

Dick does not hunt the farm but he does help out the owner with some chores.

I met the friend last fall when Dick invited him to our camp. He's a good guy and Dick wants to include him a lot. I like him but don't really know him. I actually think the issue is Dick trying overly hard to include this guy, and it's not at the request of the friend himself.

The friend hunts with other guys usually in the fall. Its just last year his trip fell apart and Dick had him come with us. Come to think of it, I don't believe the friend has invited Dick anywhere.
Ok, well if Dick doesn't have permission himself, and is kinda "piggybacking" on your permission, then that makes things even worse. And if you're not really friends with Dick's buddy then worse again. You said Dick doesn't even hunt turkeys and is just taking his buddy to hunt, so that's worse yet! Obviously you're friends with Dick, so there MUST be some good qualities in him, but he's taking advantage of you and the situation, whether he realizes it or not. You seem quite reasonable and easy to get along with, but it's obviously bothering you. I'd suggest you have an open conversation with BOTH of them. The new buddy probably has no idea he's stepping on toes, and Dick is either clueless when it comes to proper etiquette and common courtesy, or he's just a Dick!! Either way he needs an education of some kind, be it explaining the obvious, or with a smack.
Don't waste any more time fretting about it....a quick talk with them both should clear everything up. I would think just about anybody would understand that your number one priority would be hunting success for your son. And I'm pretty sure that once he gets his bird you'd be more than willing to let these guys use your stuff. I would be really surprised if they didn't understand completely and feel a little embarrassed. Good luck!

Dear Abby

This is a story about a group of friends. I have two friends who have farm properties. I approached them and got access to their land for this turkey season. I set up blinds and game cameras, monitored the movement, and got my boys out on opening day. Two of us connected. I am planning to go out again with the boy who was unsuccessful to try again.

A third friend, let's call him Dick, has invited someone to use my blinds. Dick seems to think that since I have two birds down I shouldn't worry about it. Dick has invited a fellow who has not hunted turkeys before and cannot call, to use my blinds. Dick is not the property owner and does not himself hunt turkeys. He is a hunting buddy in the fall and we spend a lot of time in camp together. The landowners don't care as they know us all.

What should I do with this Dick friend? I don't want to be greedy, and I want to help a fellow hunter. But I want to make sure my boy does not have his chance scuppered by Dick giving the blind to a fellow who will spook the birds. And, it would be nice if this new hunter would call me, no?

Help please.

Sincerely,
Stuck with the turkeys
@Pheroze.
I thought I would do the right thing by a farmer to help rid his place of a few sambar dear and organized for a so called friendly to help him out.
Short version the mate bad mouthed me that much to the farmer that I no longer hunt there.
He even had the balls to invite other mutual friends on his next trip. One of them rang me and asked if I knew this farmer he was going to. When I told him what happened he washed this prick as a friend.
Short answer you don't shit in someone else's nest. Chances are everyone will lose out. Loss of properties to hunt on and loss of friends.
Put your foot down and tell him to Fu## off before it's to late
Bob

A liberal sprinkling of these along the access trail should assist.
View attachment 401980

or one of these at the blind entrance to keep the Turkeys out. They are sneaky like Leopards.
View attachment 401981

It appears the Dick has assumed you have taken your quota of Turkeys. Using your blind without asking is not kosher.
When you get to Deer camp in the fall and he drops a deer just help him out by loading it into your vehicle. See if he objects when you drop it off at your butcher. LOL

Since you don't have exclusive hunting rights to the Turkey ranch you are screwed. You will have to play nice, which I know you will.

Good luck with your Turkey hunt.
@BRICKBURN
I love it but I just don't play nicely with arseholes like that.
He ain't playing nice so be stuffed If'n I would. I would take my son out to get his bird and when he did I would pack up my toys and go home.
Bob

Bob, be careful what U say.
Work related I wasn't happy with people invited into my patch making waves.
I was speaking with another stakeholder in the industry as such who visits my area on a professional basis.
I was talking to my friend and mentioned my frustration, I said they are in my sandpit, "She" said, they can F#@k off and leave your toys alone. It's satisfying considering the little we worked together I'm pretty Bloody stoked to have her onside.
She might smack me when she's back on town as nd not in a good way cause I told my employer they shot in my sandpit and I'm taking my toys and going home. They can use The contractors.
Back to Abby, don't shit in Ur nest.
Don't shit where you eat, don't work with shit people who shit in Ur nest.

Bob, be careful what U say.
Work related I wasn't happy with people invited into my patch making waves.
I was speaking with another stakeholder in the industry as such who visits my area on a professional basis.
I was talking to my friend and mentioned my frustration, I said they are in my sandpit, "She" said, they can F#@k off and leave your toys alone. It's satisfying considering the little we worked together I'm pretty Bloody stoked to have her onside.
She might smack me when she's back on town as nd not in a good way cause I told my employer they shot in my sandpit and I'm taking my toys and going home. They can use The contractors.
Back to Abby, don't shit in Ur nest.
Don't shit where you eat, don't work with shit people who shit in Ur nest.
@CBH
Chris as Forrest Gump said
Life is like a bed of roses.
You gotta watch out for the pricks tho.
The bloke that shit in the nest on my property is very well known. When other mutual friends found out he couldn't figure out why they were pissed at him as he thought he was doing them a favor getting a sambar property t h ey could hunt on.

Forrest Gump should have told us.
Life is like a pubic hair on a toilet seat.
Sooner or later you are going to get pissed off.
Bob

I’d play the long game and think multiple years in the future. Start with kindness and an open conversation to make things clear to all parties what kind of hunting ethic you are promoting and how to properly hunt. Sharing space may end up a requirement, so not burning bridges is crucial.
Either this guy is clueless, or greedy. The former is correctable. The latter, if true, is unfortunate and will breed worse problems.
Sharing space can only be made a requirement if the landowner asks @Pheroze AND he agrees. Otherwise the blinds belong to @Pheroze and are his to use exclusively. He did the scouting, set up the cameras, found good spots for blinds and set them up. Interloping like this should not be tolerated. Fact of the matter is that he could just as easily take the blinds down and screw everyone, including his own son.

I like the solution @Pheroze has come up with by offering to educate and teach the offender along with having a good talk with the one who offered the blind up to him. You are showing the kindness and good judgement of a well seasoned hunter. That said, they each owe you at least a bottle of single malt to make up for their trespassing. Actions have consequences and they should know that.

Sharing space can only be made a requirement if the landowner asks @Pheroze AND he agrees. Otherwise the blinds belong to @Pheroze and are his to use exclusively. He did the scouting, set up the cameras, found good spots for blinds and set them up. Interloping like this should not be tolerated. Fact of the matter is that he could just as easily take the blinds down and screw everyone, including his own son.

I like the solution @Pheroze has come up with by offering to educate and teach the offender along with having a good talk with the one who offered the blind up to him. You are showing the kindness and good judgement of a well seasoned hunter. That said, they each owe you at least a bottle of single malt to make up for their trespassing. Actions have consequences and they should know that.
@BeeMaa
You are to kind and generous mate. People like that make one mistake like that with me, get spoken to about said behavior and then told to go away and not come back and asked if their actions were worth the consequences .
Hopefully they don't do it again to someone else and learn from their lesson.
Bob

@BeeMaa
You are to kind and generous mate. People like that make one mistake like that with me, get spoken to about said behavior and then told to go away and not come back and asked if their actions were worth the consequences .
Hopefully they don't do it again to someone else and learn from their lesson.
Bob
If they knew anything about hunting, they wouldn't have done it. Teaching them and holding them accountable for their actions (IMO) is the best solution. If it happens again...that's another story for Dear Abby.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JameShiple

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!