Days & Nights in the NZ bush

Cervus elaphus

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
If you're a bush hunter like me, walking quietly along, not trying to be a ninja because that only spooks any game, you will soon realise there are two distinctive characteristics of the bush, daytime and nighttime.
I spent a lot of my hunting time alone, which I mostly preferred. In the bush you can hear things, branches cracking, the wind whistling through the tops, deer barking and farting because they can be incredibly noisy in the bush. But it is at night when the action really begins, and my favourite treat was to set up a simple fly camp in deep bush off any trails, with nylon fly overhead, CCF mat and sleeping bag underneath with my pikau as a pillow.
Soon after dark the action begins with a possum snuffling around near my head looking for the biscuits it can smell in the pikau. A poke with the rifle barrel sends it on its way usually to return later for another recce. Much later just as I'm dozing off, a deer approaches along the trail below until it smells me and crashes off in a panic, not so the pigs who couldn't care less and go grunting on their way to grub up some tussock roots below the open ridges at first light. Birds are strangely quiet until daybreak when the call of the Kea mountain parrot comes down from the high places. Down in the lowland forests, it's common to hear bellbirds Tui's and others doing their pre-breakfast routine. During the day in the bush I can whistle up the Mokomoko, a small dull olive bird with a great voice, down from its perch to within a few metres. On a hot day it's cool inside the bush and the wild animals rest and sleep here feeling safe until it cools off and they go out to feed. This is a productive time for me and often I've been able to stalk up to point blank range, wind direction permitting, check out any racks or pick out a food animal that can be carried out. When field dressing a deer I leave the skin on, take off both hind quarters in one piece which go over my shoulders; the forequarters onto my belt; backstraps and eye fillets into the pikau. A small deer I can carry out whole after gutting and cutting off the head and lower legs. Medium sized pigs I find are easy to carry out in one piece, just pretend they're a heavy pack with lice. Not all animals encountered in the bush have to be killed, many times I've forgone a shot just for the sheer fun of watching them playing.
Hunting the bush is not everyone's cuppa but I'll take it any time, day or night.

Great word picture and one many are well aware of to varying degree. Whether in the bush or on the tops there is always a relaxing peace to the nights and a controlled excitment to the day, partularly when it is the experience that is being enjoyed rather than the absolute need for the kill that rules the mind.

Great word picture and one many are well aware of to varying degree. Whether in the bush or on the tops there is always a relaxing peace to the nights and a controlled excitment to the day, partularly when it is the experience that is being enjoyed rather than the absolute need for the kill that rules the mind.
Too true. I've hunted both islands, In the north the Kaimanawa's (pre Sika), Hihitahi bush, Ohakune & Rataehi, Pipiriki, Tarawera's out of Wellington, Auckland's Kaipara Head. On a lot of these trips I never fired shot but had a lot of fun. The Kaimanawa ranges and around the base of Mt Ruapehu were my favourites and I literally saw hundreds of deer between these places. There is no point in shooting everything because there are no fridges or freezers out there (unless it snows) and I used to whack a hare or pig with a FMJ just for a change in meat diet. A lot of hunters I met are gone now, Rex Forrester, Barry Crump, and I met a lot of govt cullers in both islands, always running into them in pubs mainly !. Crumpy used to drink in the back bar of the Midland Hotel in Wellington and the stories went on for hours. There is no name dropping here, we were all in the hunting brotherhood and I really believe we had the best of the years. Cheers

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeannaDost

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg