Dark Continent Again, and again

Cajun Hunter

AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
SCI NRA
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Namibia, Botswana, South Africa
Just returned from trip number 8. Hunting was awesome as always. Spent time in Limpopo with Marval Africa Safaris. The wife was on her 3rd trip and was successful on 4 really good animals. I hunted Hippo and Lion. The trip home was really challenging as United cancelled our flight the night before we were scheduled to depart. Thankfully we were able to get something going with Ethiopian Air and it took only 44 hours to get back. Will try to avoid JoBerg on all future trips. SA Police are pretty much out of control. Good hunting to all and keep that powder dry.

Inquiring minds want to know if you used a travel agent and a rifle permit agency.

Just returned from trip number 8. Hunting was awesome as always. Spent time in Limpopo with Marval Africa Safaris. The wife was on her 3rd trip and was successful on 4 really good animals. I hunted Hippo and Lion. The trip home was really challenging as United cancelled our flight the night before we were scheduled to depart. Thankfully we were able to get something going with Ethiopian Air and it took only 44 hours to get back. Will try to avoid JoBerg on all future trips. SA Police are pretty much out of control. Good hunting to all and keep that powder dry.

And the airport is full of thieves.

Hope you had a great trip regardless.

Congrats on another successful trip.
I'm curious about the "SA police being out of control" statement. Issues with permits, baggage or what?

Welcome to AH!
Do not hesitate to share your adventures with us!

Congrats on another successful trip.
I'm curious about the "SA police being out of control" statement. Issues with permits, baggage or what?
After clearing firearms and Customs. We were stopped before leaving airport property. Had to put rifles on tailgate of truck for inspection with a flashlight while standing in middle of highway. Excuse was checking for illegal weapons. Wife was detained and raked over the coals for having a spent brass case in her carry-on. She was saving it as a momento of her hunt. Attitude was one of total domination and intimidation. Made a tough 60 year old cry. I was not a happy camper. Everything good as long as you are in bush.

So sad (concerning police), unfortunately you will never forget that portion of a otherwise great trip. Not all of our police here in Zim are perfect, but since Bob has been gone things are so much better.
RSA police on one end of a trip and TSA at the other end!

So sad (concerning police), unfortunately you will never forget that portion of a otherwise great trip. Not all of our police here in Zim are perfect, but since Bob has been gone things are so much better.
RSA police on one end of a trip and TSA at the other end!
Thanks, and you bring up a good point relative to our situation here. I have been flying since 1967 and at one time held some high level security clearance. There is no question that as soon as I purchase a ticket, everyone in authority knows who I am. How much taxes I pay, where I have worked, etc. That I am certainly not a security threat. So, when TSA treats me and others with total disregard then allows questionable aliens to come into our Country. Not Good!! Having conversations with my Congressman presently on that very subject.

Thanks, and you bring up a good point relative to our situation here. I have been flying since 1967 and at one time held some high level security clearance. There is no question that as soon as I purchase a ticket, everyone in authority knows who I am. How much taxes I pay, where I have worked, etc. That I am certainly not a security threat. So, when TSA treats me and others with total disregard then allows questionable aliens to come into our Country. Not Good!! Having conversations with my Congressman presently on that very subject.

Hear, here. I'm sure most of us agree 100%. All of us should agree 100%.

Note to self: put spent cases in checked baggage.

Spent cases in carry on are a HUMONGOUS no-no. BTDT, not me but a buddy had a heck of time in Blomfontein when he had some in a shirt pocket in his carry on. Same goes for zip ties and any hand tools. On the way to Mozambique, I had a pair of ring pliers for fishing use and they along with my zip ties were confiscated.

Spent cases in carry on are a HUMONGOUS no-no. BTDT, not me but a buddy had a heck of time in Blomfontein when he had some in a shirt pocket in his carry on. Same goes for zip ties and any hand tools. On the way to Mozambique, I had a pair of ring pliers for fishing use and they along with my zip ties were confiscated.
I can see how security people might have an issue with boarding an airplane with zip ties in carry-on luggage . . .

For the life of me I can't see why spent brass gets them so excited, but it does. There was a case a few years back where someone brought in new brass for reloading in his checked baggage. He was arrested, all manner of hoop jumping to get him out. You don't need a permit, I don't think they even issue one. And Heaven forbid if you inadvertently had a live round in your luggage without the necessary permit I think you are in for a verry dark time indeed.

For the life of me I can't see why spent brass gets them so excited, but it does. There was a case a few years back where someone brought in new brass for reloading in his checked baggage. He was arrested, all manner of hoop jumping to get him out. You don't need a permit, I don't think they even issue one. And Heaven forbid if you inadvertently had a live round in your luggage without the necessary permit I think you are in for a verry dark time indeed.
I agree with you . . . a smallish piece of brass . . .

On my first hunt in Africa my PH told me the day before departure (from Zimbabwe) that I should empty my carry-on (which I'd carried in the truck while hunting) completely, and then repack it, just to make sure that an errant piece of brass or worse, a live cartridge, wasn't hiding somewhere.

The voice of experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glorianab

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg