Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
For those of you who love snakes as much as I do (total chicken), I wanted to share the latest information on how to try to stay alive in the event you have a negative encounter with one of these "Dangerous Snakes". You are not very likely to encounter one of these smaller Dangerous Game animals, but....

I live in a lovely cold climate where the snow and ice manages these potential threats quite well for me. In fact, there is a grand total of two critters that can envenomate me where I live and they are very unlikely to have enough venom to kill someone my size. I could very rarely encounter anything that can envenomate me and thus I am very inexperienced with these critters and have a developed fear out of ignorance.

You can download the Poster for quick reference (pdf file) and have a look at the post in the thread below for some basic information

Snake Poster 8x11.jpg

The site is a wealth of information about Snakes in Southern Africa.
Free Posters from the harmless snakes to the potentially dangerous variety.
Handling Courses, First Aid Courses, and much more.

I like to try and educate myself about the wildlife I might encounter as best I can and certainly the wildlife that is in the Dangerous Game category. To that end, I have recently been introduced to the latest updated information from the African Snake Institute.

Snakes_Snakebite_Cover_ENG_WEB.jpg

This is the link to their website
http://africansnakebiteinstitute.com/books.htm

In ebook format, paper and there is an App available for purchase.
(various formats, Apple iTunes screen shot)

snake bite app Southern Africa.jpg

Stay safe and informed.

Last edited:
Cool poster, Brickburn.....except when I downloaded it, the bottom part (where it talks of treatment) came out as something completely different...not sure why.:confused:

We had an encounter with a black mamba in camp last summer (August)......of course, my wife asked me (repeatedly) prior to leaving about snakes; I told her not to worry, as this was there winter and they would be hibernating (Hey, that's what I was told!). So, of course, after the snake was shot (twice), and I got back from hunting, it was somehow MY fault that this damn thing slithered into camp.o_O

I do find snakes fascinating creatures......from a distance! If you stop and think about it, it's really quite remarkable: here is a limbless animal that every species of which is carnivorous......and they have no limbs to chase down or grab prey with. They have adapted to use venom, constriction, or just grab and swallow to get their prey........and they have survived.

I know the outfitters and PHs downplay the possibility of encountering a venomous snake, but I wonder what the actual percentage is of running across one in the bush.......if you were to believe the National Geographic, there is a snake under every rock and in every tree!;)
.....and while I find them fascinating, I do NOT like it when they suddenly appear out of no where & surprise you! I was fishing in waders on a small lake on time several years ago when a banded water snake came up from behind and swam between my legs...........let's just say that Jesus is not the only one who has walked on water!!!!!! (and I did it in chest waders, no less!!):ROFLMAO:

Cool poster, Brickburn.....except when I downloaded it, the bottom part (where it talks of treatment) came out as something completely different...not sure why.:confused:

I removed the link. wrong document linked on their site.
Guess the jpeg will have to do.
or I'll be spending the money to grab the app. :)

.................. I was fishing in waders on a small lake on time several years ago when a banded water snake came up from behind and swam between my legs...........let's just say that Jesus is not the only one who has walked on water!!!!!! (and I did it in chest waders, no less!!):ROFLMAO:

I'll bet you had to rinse your waders. I know I would have had to.

Good info Brickburn.

I am freaky afraid of deadly snakes. Here in the Southwest desert we have many Rattlesnakes, and I have had my fair share of encounters, and have almost been been bitten once. The Rattlesnake is pretty mild, compared to the Nasty Slithering death that Inhabits Africa and Asia. I would probably have a heart attack if I ran into a Mamba(Seriously). I would rather take on a wounded leopard bare handed, then tangle with a Black Mamba. My chances of Survival would be better with the Leopard.

Interesting, to me, that these Africa snake threads come up and there are all of the comments on how terrible the snakes are. Yet, to date, I can't remember reading a single thread where someone has stated they had been envenomated by a snake in Africa or been in a group where someone was envenomated. There have been a number of folks charged by elephants, Cape buffalo, leopards, and other game but no one has reported being bitten by Mr. No-Shoulders. Or maybe I missed that thread.

Keeping it all in perspective, I think, is important.

People that get bit by Mamba's usually don't live to tell the tale. I think hunters, as a whole, are more self aware of their surroundings. The majority of bites, and fatalities, are among the local populations, and villagers, plantation and farm workers etc, and those we simply don't here about.

Reactions: lcq
Interesting, to me, that these Africa snake threads come up and there are all of the comments on how terrible the snakes are. Yet, to date, I can't remember reading a single thread where someone has stated they had been envenomated by a snake in Africa or been in a group where someone was envenomated. There have been a number of folks charged by elephants, Cape buffalo, leopards, and other game but no one has reported being bitten by Mr. No-Shoulders. Or maybe I missed that thread.

Keeping it all in perspective, I think, is important.

Always Important.

There was one set of posts or thread from a guy in Natal about Snakes and relocation and he certainly shared the positive side.

I think your chances are pretty darned low.

I like to be educated. This book was the latest update on Snakes and Snake Bites.

Interesting post Brickburn. I hunt and live in area's where there are quite a few snakes. Some of the most venomous and aggressive snakes in the world (eastern brown, death adder, tigers, copperhead etc). I actually accidentally hit a brown snake on Friday in the car on the way to a hunting spot. Upton O. Good's comments that you often hear about people being attacked by animals they are trying to kill rings true. People rarely get bitten and those who do generally are trying to kill the snake.

I've nearly stepped on a few but haven't had any real close calls. When it is warm I'll wear gaiters which will significantly reduce your risk of envenomation. If you do find them in cooler weather they are usually a bit more docile being a cold blooded animal. I honestly believe the threat of snakes is largely overstated but in saying that every year people are killed by them! Here are some pics of our slippery friends ...

Small brown snake skin found in shed
IMG_0923_zpsqmngoe3v.jpg

Alpine Copperhead
6AlpineCopperHead_zps211dacfd.jpg

Red Belly Black
WriggleStick_zps4bd15715.jpg

Cheers,
JWB300

Attachments

• 6AlpineCopperHead_zps211dacfd.jpg
    6AlpineCopperHead_zps211dacfd.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 257
  • WriggleStick_zps4bd15715.jpg
    WriggleStick_zps4bd15715.jpg
    420.6 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_0923_zpsqmngoe3v.jpg
    IMG_0923_zpsqmngoe3v.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 1,121
I remember the episode of Steve Irwin(RIP), when he was playing with a King Brown. Balls of steel, and a little crazy tobe messing with those creatures.

For those of you that belong to Facebook....

Join "Snakes of South Africa" a lot of information on snakes on that forum.

Or

Join "Snakes of Namibia"

Or both

Thanks James...., I think.

I just had a tour of that SA page.

Snakes removal guy climbing into a junk car with a Black Mamba in it....

Guy just picking up a snake assuming it was not venomous...

There are plenty of folks who can use that first aid resource in RSA.

It made me think of people picking Mushrooms and just eating them without proper identification. I do not have enough knowledge of guts.

I think I'll continue to avoid snakes as best I can.:A Outta:

In five hunts in RSA I have seen a Mozambique spitting cobra, a Rock python, and a Black mamba. All three ran away from me. And no, I did not follow them.

What's worse than finding a snake under your bed?

When the maid finds a snake shed under your bed........you still have no idea where he is. Spent two days tearing the house apart and never found him. Sleep didn't come easy. The dachshunds nose touching you while you slept........

After learning that a cape cobra was spotted in the kitchen on the farm we hunted in 2013 (minor kid in the room beside), I always perform a minor "snake search" in my room by using a flash-light before turning in..

Last year we found a puffadder in the bush...no drama, the PH grabbed it and I took some pics..
However I must admit that the black mamba give me the creeps..

What I have found with venomous snakes is if you leave them alone they will do the same. I know this as my grandfather made me sit feet from a king cobra in India (1995). He got bored after watching me for about 20 mins then left (the cobra not my grandpa). My grandfather did tell me not to think harm to a snake as they pick up on that???!!!!
But since then I have applied what I was passed to me and I must say I still feel very much alive!

ive always been rather fond of snakes and used to keep them as pets. while most of my snakes were non-venomous I have owned a few venomous snakes (and venomous spiders/scorpions). one of my favorite snakes was my friends pet gaboon viper named Gabby (not a very inventive name). Gabby had a funny personality... very high and mighty but never aggressive. that snake packed enough venom to bring down a herd of cattle and it knew it.

what i learned from spending time with venomous critters was to respect them and leave them alone and they will often return the favor.

-matt

I can not stand a snake dead or alive. If I See them it is their death warrant.
I have walked up on rattle snakes, copper heads and cotton mouths. The result is always the same. I wear the judge pistol made by Taurus on my side. During snake season I keep 410 shotgun shells in it. See a snake shoot a snake and kill the snake is my creed.
Now when in South Africa this function will fall to Pieter Erasmus because I am going the other way. Will not be hanging around to find out if it is deadly or not.

image.jpg

After learning that a cape cobra was spotted in the kitchen on the farm we hunted in 2013 (minor kid in the room beside), I always perform a minor "snake search" in my room by using a flash-light before turning in..

Last year we found a puffadder in the bush...no drama, the PH grabbed it and I took some pics..
However I must admit that the black mamba give me the creeps..

According to my PH the puffadder accounts for the most bites and fatalities because it doesn't move when disturbed and is well camoed. Hunt when it is cold (African standards) and you will likely never see a snake.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bj88ak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,