Dangerous Game with 9.3x62?

There is no replacement for displacement.
The 9.3x62 is 80-95% (depending on the load) of the 375H&H in terms of energy.
But it is not a 375...

Reality - no one will most likely ask as long as it's OK with your PH/outfitter.

Best plan - Step up to a MA bolt head and order a 375H&H barrel along with a 300WM.
Face it, your mate is nearly hooked.
Might as well jump in the deep end at this point.
Yes it only takes a minute without any tools to change the bolt face over. He can then ponder over a 416 or a 458 Lott if he needs the extra punch. I have a 9.3 x 62 barrel rechambered to the 9.3 x64 Breneke which has the same power as the 375

I own two CZ550 9.3x62 rifles and the idea of rechambering one of them to 9.3x64 never occurred to me until I reread this thread. Can I simply have it reamed to 9.3x64 or does the bolt face also need to be opened up? Either way it should be very simple work for a competent gunsmith.

I already own 7x57 and 7x64 rifles so having a 9.3x62 and 9.3x64 pair is very appealing. The only downside is it would make my 375H&H even more redundant.

The 9.3x62mm Mauser is absolutely fine for hunting dangerous game (except for body shots on bull elephant) in the context of a visiting client hunter (where legal, of course). More Cape buffalo have been harvested in Portuguese Mozambique with this caliber than perhaps all other calibers combined (with the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum being a close second).

Just use good bullets like 286Gr Rhino Solid Shanks and 286Gr Rhino flat nosed brass monolithic solids. 286Gr Swift A Frames are excellent, as well.

Hi Bonk
Yes a good gun smith should be able to do it in no time . Just have to screw the barrel out of the action, cut the old chamber out with the 64 reamer on a lath. Open the bolt face up a few thou and re fit the barrel. He may have to do a little work to the magazine follower, then again he may not depending on the action. Well worth doing seeing you already have a 62 . I have a left handed Sako Barvarian with a 20” barrel in 9.3 x62 and a custom left handed 375 Ruger that hasn’t been used since the conversion. Good luck with it and let me know how you go . Btw your not in Aus are you as I have a reamer.

Hi Bonk
Yes a good gun smith should be able to do it in no time . Just have to screw the barrel out of the action, cut the old chamber out with the 64 reamer on a lath. Open the bolt face up a few thou and re fit the barrel. He may have to do a little work to the magazine follower, then again he may not depending on the action. Well worth doing seeing you already have a 62 . I have a left handed Sako Barvarian with a 20” barrel in 9.3 x62 and a custom left handed 375 Ruger that hasn’t been used since the conversion. Good luck with it and let me know how you go . Btw your not in Aus are you as I have a reamer.
@K95, no, I'm not in Australia but thank you very much for the offer. I really appreciate it. I'll keep you posted. Not only do I have to decide whether I'll do it I have to decide which rifle to use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ga179sale

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you